Sony CDRs

Hi,

Just picked up a spindle of 50 Sony CDRs. i have heard that they are very good quality. From what Ive known, Sonys always used to be Taiyo yudens. However, I got the following from CDR Identifier:

ATIP: 97m 24s 11f
Disc Manufacturer: Sony Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Long strategy; e.g. Cyanine, Azo etc.)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

Now that I have already purchased 50 of em, was just wondering how good they are?

In the past Sony has had some problems once a certain portion of the disc was reached. I haven’t heard anything bad about them lately.

You may want to burn a couple of them at full capacity and then test them with CD Speed’s CD Quality Check or use WSES (If you have a Lite-On burner) to be sure.

No probs with the Sony CDs manufactured by sony.

I have burnt nearly 50.

1. No probs.

2. No Damaged or Unreadable Sectors

3. No coasters.

Go ahead.

Sony CDs are really good in my experience.

You may want to burn a couple of them at full capacity and then test them with CD Speed’s CD Quality Check or use WSES (If you have a Lite-On burner) to be sure.

Yeah, just about to burn my first Sony CD…sadly my LG Writer can’t report C2 errors, so I can’t use CDSpeed. Still searching for an alternative utility…

No probs with the Sony CDs manufactured by sony.
I have burnt nearly 50.

1. No probs.
  2. No Damaged or Unreadable Sectors
  3. No coasters.
    Go ahead.
    Sony CDs are really good in my experience.

Cool! :smiley: But have you checked the ATIP? Is it Taiyo Yuden or Sony?

@ExpertTech: I’ve had bad results with the Sony 1-12/ 1-16 / 1-24x CDR on my LG 32x burner at any speed, and they were the Sony ATIP ones. I remember reading somewhere that those Sonys with Sony ATIP were made in a Lead Data factory, which kinda explains it…

Hmm…just burnt the first one with lots of different kind of files…and the readability is excellent. Looks like these are at least better than the Prodisc and Ritek ones.

I had checked the ATIP. They are manufactured by Sony.

Infact I never came across Sony manufactured by Taiyo Yuden.

If your Burner doesn’t support C2 errors reporting. Just buy an Acer 52x CD-ROM. It reports these errors.

CD-ROMs are cheap in India now, you know that.

Thanks for the info, Darshan. By the way, which brand do you use these days?

In my city, Samsung (Ritek and Prodisc) are abundant and are available for about Rs. 20 per CD w/o jewel case. However I feel that these Sony babies (Rs 25 w/o jewel case and Rs 35 w/ jewel case) are better than them. Just my opinion though.

i’ll have to say i havn’t had much luck with these Sony discs - i’ve just recently burnt a few, half of which are coasters and my burners pretty damn tolerant media-wise.
the Lead Data part might explain it.

Originally posted by ExpertTech
…In my city, Samsung (Ritek and Prodisc) are abundant…

just a little off topic how are the samsung CDRs? (prodisc)

i had very little experience with the sony CDRs, i’ve just burned 2 of them so can’t really say…

I use Sony 24x, 32x on a regular basis and have had no problems with them at all.
They’re def a lot better than these TDK’s made by CMC I just purchased.

Here is the ATIP info on the Sony’s:

This Disc is designed for CD-RW/COMBO Drive Only.
Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Cyanine
ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 11f
Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)
Disc Manufacturer maybe = SONY(24X)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 24Xt all, the atip

Even Samsung CD-Rs are fine & available in Mumbai for Rs. 15 (w/o jewel case), Sonys for Rs. 20 (w/o jewel case).

Sonys with Cover are available for Rs. 30.

Both Sony & Samsung are fine.

I use Frontech these days - Rs. 13-14 per CD (w/o jewel case). Even they are fine. Not a single coaster.

Webcrawler - samsung CDRs (prodisc) are rock solid.

Great value at Rs. 15 & no coasters yet. I have burnt many of them. not one a coaster.

Can’t comment on the TDK discs as i have used only one.

The one I have used is fine. No read errors, nothing.

As we have already gone a little off the Topic.

What are your experiences with the DigiMat CD-Rs? Rs. 13.50 per CD? Probably manufactured by Moser Baer India.

These CD-Rs are crap & I don’t recommend them.

Damaged & Unreadable sectors even when burnt @ 8x.

All the 10 I bought were crap.

hey darshan,

have u tried the princo’s here… Rs. 300 for a spindle of 25 that’s 12 bucks a CDR (made in taiwan label)

i got a pack of ten, it’s ok… need something better…

just a little off topic how are the samsung CDRs? (prodisc)

I have burnt about 50 Samsungs and they appear to be pretty good. There are some 16X rated Samsungs (Prodisc) that are colored - their build quality is excellent - not much available these days. The ones that are available are the (attractive) Silver ones with the brand name in the outer ring (32X rated). They are not bad either.

However I noticed that readability across drives was better with the Sony ones - I suppose only time will tell which CDRs last longer…

Yes, TIME is the ultimate factor.

Haven’t used any Princo CD-Rs. Will post my experience with them when I use those.

Just consulted a few friends who have used Princo.

They say that these are CRAP.

Gets scratched very very easily.

They don’t recommend them to anybody.

Anybody here used the Alfa CD-Rs. Cheap but good looking.

My experience is worst with them.