Sony CD-RW CRX230ED DRIVER NEEDED

My computer has a Sony CD-RW CRX230ED in and I’ve lost the use of it. Sony says its a plug-n-play device that Windows should recognize and there is no driver for it. I have been trying for almost 3 months to get the yahoo who built my system out to fix. The one appointment he did make he didn’t show and I still have not been able to reach him.

My OS is Windows XP Home Ed Ver 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.04803-2158 : Service Pack 2) I have reinstalled my OS twice - once in complete install mode and once in repair mode. My Device Manager shows that I have the Sony CD-RW CRX230ED drive, but that it has been disabled by Windows. When I click the Enable button I get a message that Windows was not able to enable my device.

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem?

Desperately need help.

Thanks,
Ms Frustrated

Hi and Welcome!

This is absolutely correct.

My OS is Windows XP Home Ed Ver 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.04803-2158 : Service Pack 2) I have reinstalled my OS twice - once in complete install mode and once in repair mode.
Were you installing your system using this drive or is there another drive in your system?

My Device Manager shows that I have the Sony CD-RW CRX230ED drive, but that it has been disabled by Windows. When I click the Enable button I get a message that Windows was not able to enable my device.
Check Windows Help if there is more information about that.

Also, further information is needed.
What chipset is your motherboard equipped with? Check the manual and report, please.
Has that drive worked previously?

Michael

Sorry to hear about your problems MsFrustrated.

Make sure your are logged in as computer Administrator.

:confused: What for? Even if the user is logged on with restricted permissions, Windows’ Plug-n-Pray-Service installs newly added drives properly.
In the case of the original poster, there is something really wrong, as the drive is disabled by Wintendo after a fresh install.

Michael

Thanks Mciahel and Pinto2 for getting back to me.

I am the only user of this computer and the user profiles only list one profile: USER1\Debi.

My computer is an AMD Sempron™ 2600+ 1.83GHz, 736 MB of RAM. It has a Samsung CD-ROM SH-152A drive, which I used to reinstall my OS. Also has a Floppy disk drive.

I do a monthly newsletter of which I convert to a PDF then burn onto a CD to take to the printer. My last successful burn was on Aug 10th. When I went to burn the Sept newsletter I couldn’t access my CD Burner. Also, between the newsletters I lost my Character Map and had to do a reinstall of that element. Shortly after that I discovered that I had also lost my calculator. So I did a reinstall of that element within a week of reinstalling the Character Map.

So starting in Mid Sept I started calling the “yahoo”, when I finally got a hold of him he said I needed to do a reinstall of my OS. I did a complete install the first time. I got caught in some loop, (which I can’t remember what it was) that kept asking for info I did not know, and would let me get to the windows start up screen. Then some how I got free of that I did a repair install, which got me back to normal, but still no CD Burner.

Thanks for all you help,
Ms Frustrated
I went to Windows Help, and it discussed clicking the enable button. Which I’ve done several time without any luck.

I did check administrative tools/services and discovered that the status for Universal Plug and Play Device Host was blank. Does this effect the ability to use the burner?

Hi [B]MsFrustrated[/B],

Repair installs aren’t the best thing around, so it’s no surprise that this didn’t fix the problem. There may be no way around a clean install (erasing all traces of the existing OS), but for now try to “Uninstall” the IDE Channel that has the Sony on it in Device Manager under “IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers”. Its probably the Secondary IDE Channel and you’ll have to reboot the PC (twice) after doing this, because Windows will redetect and reinstall it. It doesn’t look exactly like my screenshot, but this should point you in the right direction.

P.S. Maybe your printer will also accept a USB memory stick or memory card in stead of a CD?