Sony busted for collusion...but Fuji and Maxell too?

In what comes as no surprise to me in regards to Sony, it does shock me to see Fuji and Maxell busted by the EU as well for this collusion. Perhaps the fine doesn’t really hit Sony in the pocketbook that hard, as by the principal of money being more valuable in the past than today would say Sony had tons of time to reinvest its profit to where this is probably no more than it swatting a mosquito. Either way, read the full report here.

OMFG!
I can’t believe it took 15years to pin cartel-like behaviour on Sony (and others) for Beta-max price fixing.

Omfg! The lawyers fees!

That $$$ could have been used to subsidise beta-max prices and sony/others put money into development of better technology.

Oh well … I’m sure it all makes sense somewhere in the universe … possibly up a politicians colon :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, those fines apply to their professional media businesses in the European Union. And the primary customers for their pro video tapes were television stations and television production studios.

While in its own context, the report might not be incredibly surprising, but as it illustrates Sony’s behavior in obstructing the investigation (after it was obvious Sony’s hand was tipped), it is disturbing–not unlike all the batteries Sony knowingly allowed to be made over 2 year period (and where at least 2 independent agencies confirmed Sony knew it wasn’t following S.O.P. in making the batteries, to say nothing of allowing them to be sold regardless, on the order of over 5.1 million) without regard for product quality in that sense, nor concern about the very people that contribute to Sony’s growth–the consumer. It seems it’s not popular to point things out like this about Sony in CDFreaks, but the truth is the truth. It’s just one more example of Sony’s lack of concern in general and that is disturbing. To be fair, could other corporations be accused of similar behavior? Yes, and provided with equivalent proof, that would be worth pointing out and decrying the same way this is. The problem is that corporations used to have some concern about what the consumer thought, by being responsible about the products it made and taking reasonable steps to ensure product quality. Now, the only reasonable approach is to assume no company makes a quality product unless and until one’s research proves a certain make/model acceptable or a “good buy,” so all one’s left with is to assume a “buyer beware” attitude with all things until sufficient #'s of consumers have weighed in on it and/or there are sufficient reviews to allow one to make an informed decision.