Sony BD-5300s : cross-flashing iHBS112 CL0K firmware

vbimport

Greetings. Appreciate your kind assistance flashing iHBS112 CL0K firmware to a Sony BD-5300s.

1. The date of manufacturing is August 02, 2011. Is this a 2nd generation drive? How does one tell?

2. Here is the download link for the 8KB backup EPROM Optiarc_BD_RW_BD-5300S_2.03.bin using EEPROM_Utility-6.2.0. Is it valid?

http://www.sendspace.com/file/l0m9kz

1. Here is the download link for the 2MB Flash dump 2.03.bin using Flash_Utility-6.0.1. Is it valid? If not, kindly advise correct procedure.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/41gpdd

1. LtnFlash2.6.11 crashed. What does that mean?

2. Dragging CL0K.bin to AL18.EXE produced the following. OK to update? Do I have all the backup files before proceeding further?

3. Or should the Flash_Utility be used?

4. What’s the procedure to roll back should something go wrong?

Many thanks and best regards.

Anyone kind enough to lend a helping hand?

I’ve heard that BD-5300S’s board is same as in iHBS112 2, but other hardware is different. I doubt that crossflashing into iHBS112 2 will not brick your drive.

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2693346]I’ve heard that BD-5300S’s board is same as in iHBS112 2, but other hardware is different. I doubt that crossflashing into iHBS112 2 will not brick your drive.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the kind reply, Blackened.

Should this happen after crossflashing CL0K, is it still possible to roll back to 2.03.bin?

Thanks.

I don’t know, sorry about it. But my opinion is NOT to try this crossflashing.

Thanks Blackened.

Would you know how to verify if both the EEPROM backup and FLASH dump are proper?

You will brick your drive forever. You were warned.

Hi mariner8611,
I have one Sony BWU-500S and I also wanted to crossflash it to LiteON. First of all, as others suggested, this will break your drive.
The second point, and for the moment is the most important one for me, is that: BD-5300S and BWU-500S are the latest internal bluray units made by Sony-Optiarc.
So … why to risk ? You can be happy that you have the latest bluray unit design from Sony-Optiarc :cool:

If you want scanning capabilities just get a new LiteON and you are solved :slight_smile: Anyway …if you write on Panasonic BD-R 6x @ 6x … you must get very good quality

[QUOTE=Vasy;2694149]

I have one Sony BWU-500S and I also wanted to crossflash it to LiteON. First of all, as others suggested, this will break your drive…[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, Vasy.

Actually, CVS has flashed his Sony BWU-500S to HL05. Before you try that, make sure to perform a proper Eeprom backup and flashdump. Perhaps 2601 or KTH would be kind enough to explain how to check the integrity of these files.

Hi mariner8611,
Interesting to hear that crossflash was possible for BWU-500S.
Can you give to me the link to explanations of this crossflash ?
HL05 is iHBS212 which has Lightscribe, but BD-5300S and BWU-500S don’t have Lightscribe.
That’s giving me the idea that these Optiarc models are not LiteON rebadges. I case of rebadge … what’s Optiarc’s reason for not having Lightscribe on their rebadged drives?

See this is the post by cvs, #663.

You’ll need to beggggggg him, 2601, kth or any other kind souls for the HL05.bin file.

I hope you can crossflash it … I’m curious to find out your conclusions …

[QUOTE=Vasy;2694239]I hope you can crossflash it … I’m curious to find out your conclusions …[/QUOTE]

The Sony 5300s has been crossflashed to a Lite-On iHBS212/HL05, made possible by the generosity of cvs.

Here are links to the HL05.bin firmware dump and the unlocked iHAS324-B-AL18.exe flasher.

http://www.firmwarehq.com/download_1813-file_AL18.EXE.html

The Sony 5300s has been reporting low scan error rates using Nero DiscSpeed (the other being the Samsung SH-B123L). It’s now possible to test how it will perform running ODC.

The following tests are done using commercially pressed BD’s. The first, Journey to Agartha, has “Made in Japan” printed on the disc, presumably pressed in Japan. The second, Porco Rosso, does not.

Agartha has low error rates reported over both layers, but Porco has second layer error rates that are 3 times as high as the first layer. It’s not clear if these are artifacts inherent in the disc, or a reminder that most drive don’t handle DL media well.

These scans don’t seem to reveal any meaningful difference between Nero and ODC. The performance of the three drives are quite similar, no problem dealing with the layer change.

All drives (except the Sony) are installed in ICH10R based system running MS AHCI W7 drivers.

Journey To Agartha
Sony 5300s

Lite-On iHBS212/Sony 5300s

Samsung SH-B123L

Lite-On DH401S

Porco Rosso

Sony 5300s

Lite-On iHBS212/Sony 5300s

Samsung SH-B123L

Lite-On DH401S

6x burn of the problematic That’s TDKBLDRFB-000 (MIC) by Pioneer BDR-s08J-BK.

Almost error free. But how accurate is it?

Another 6x burn of the problematic That’s TDKBLDRFB-000 (MIC) by Pioneer BDR-s08J-BK.

No resemblance at all to the iHBS112 scan.

Jinroh

[QUOTE=mariner8611;2704615]Another 6x burn of the problematic That’s TDKBLDRFB-000 (MIC) by Pioneer BDR-s08J-BK.

No resemblance at all to the iHBS112 scan.
[/QUOTE]

You can’t really directly compare scans made by ODC with DiscSpeed scans. Different drives ( and sometimes different firmwares on the same drive, particularly when crossflashing) might also result in quite different scan results.

Regardless, those scans show some rather very nice burns for a BD-R DL disc.

[QUOTE=cvs;2704650]You can’t really directly compare scans made by ODC with DiscSpeed scans. Different drives ( and sometimes different firmwares on the same drive, particularly when crossflashing) might also result in quite different scan results.

Regardless, those scans show some rather very nice burns for a BD-R DL disc.[/QUOTE]

Greetings cvs.

1. I was referring to those spectacular PlexTools scans posted at the 112 thread, posts 34 and 35.

2. By the way, don’t you find the scans of DiscSpeed and ODC posted here almost indistinguishable from one another?

3. Thank you for the HL05 firmware bin. I have to say it’s a brilliant piece of detective work to figure out the 112-based 5300s can only accept the firmware of the Lightscribe capable 212. Well done.

Many thank and best regards.

The same 4x burn of the problematic JVC MEI-T02-001 (MIJ) by Pioneer BDR-206, which caused all sorts of difficulties for the 112.

Momo