Sony aw-g170a, not reading discs

Hi.

Uhm. I just installed a new DVD-RAM drive, but I can’t get it to work. It says it’s working correctly, but it isn’t reading any CDs or DVDs. ]:

My specs are:

Microsoft Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
2.99 GHz, 768 MB RAM

I was originally using a 40-conductor cable to connect it, but I tried an 80 one too. It still didn’t work.

Do you have any idea what I’m doing wrong?

bit more info, what is it doing when a disc is inserted? any message etc

Well, the cursor changes to a reading-disc cursor, and it stays like that for ages- But then nothing happens. And if I go into the drive, it shows up as empty.

I tried reinstalling the driver/restarting my PC, but that didn’t work either.

I have the same problem with my Sony DWG120AB. its been running fine since i bought it (over 6 months ago) but has recently stopped reading all formats of discs.

It achieves “reading speed” (ie speeds up as if it will be able to play a disc) and the read light comes on, but nothing happens. It occasionally manages to find files i know are on the disc, but if i attempt to open them, explorer crashes. the same thing happens with divx, media player etc.

FYI i’m using an amd 1ghz processor with 768 ram. I also have a working dvd-rom drive which is able to read all the media i have tested with the sony.

If there no solution to this problem could you let me have the contact details for liteon/sony so i can send it back?

ta

Hi,
I believe I am experiencing the same problem. I put a new Sony AW-G170A drive into my machine yesterday to replace a previous CD drive. Windows recognises that there is a CD or a DVD in the drive, but when I try to open it, I get an IO error.

To test out the drive, I booted from it. That worked fine.

Therefore, to me it appears to be a problem with Windows XP and the drive.

I have the drive as a slave device using a ribbon cable. When I get a chance, I will try it as a master device on its own cable.

Other than that and reporting it to Microsoft, Im not sure what else to try.

Any ideas anyone?

Dan

Well, I tried changing things around, made the DVD writer a master device on its own cable and its now working ok.

Dan