Sony AW G-170A intermittently crashes computer, never reads DVD-RAM

vbimport

[qanda]This question is published in the hardware section for the Sony AW-G170S. Click here to view full specs.[/qanda]I have a Panasonic DVD player that works well with DVD-RAM discs. My computer had a Sony DVD-Rewriter and a Sony DVD-ROM, so I replaced the latter with an OEM version of the Sony AW-G170A. It has never worked properly and has become a real pain. Only now have I found on Sony’s site firmware that might update what I have, but I keep getting the message that the flash was unsuccessful. Does anyone have any ideas please?

[B]Update [/B]- with help from something I read in another thread I have managed to flash the burner with the latest firmware from Sony, but my problem remains. Both drives normally read CDs and DVD’s (but not DVD-RAM) but inserting a blank disc to write to usually results in BSD and a message saying “Windows has been shut down to protect your computer”, then on restart “Windows has recovered from a serious error”. Jumpers as before i.e. the AW-G170 is slave, like the previous DVD-ROM.

Wondering about software conflicts so removed all except Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD which was pre-installed on my computer - no difference. Have removed and re-installed both od’s several times which usually crashes computer with the same error messages.

I am so fed up with this and would really appreciate some help.

second update:

No-one came up with any help on this, but I seem to have worked out that the problem is with my Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD. Provided I don’t use Pinnacle, Nero works fine. However Pinnacle seems to be the default software that Windows uses for packet writing etc., so I still get intermittent crashes. I can’t re-install Pinnacle because it was pre-installed on my computer so I don’t have a CD. Anyone know how to sort this please?

@ Henry2050,

A belated welcome to the Forum.

Experienced knowledgeable informed users avoid the use of any Packet Writing Software Programs. Packet Writing Software Programs have a well-documented history of causing various conflict error problems which is evidenced by your recent experience.

Suggest totally and complexly removing the Pinnacle Software Program from your computer and then use a Widows Registry ‘Cleaner’ program to ensure the all raiments of the program are fully removed.

To replace your Pinnacle software suggest reviewing the General Software Forum Read First posting titled “Free Downloads” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/free-downloads-your-welcome-128075) and note the various software programs available.

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg

Thanks very much for your response, and for your welcome.
I’m happy to get rid of Pinnacle and won’t miss the InstantWrite function - but will I still be able to use the Studio 9 video editing software that I do use quite a lot, as it is much more capable than my cut-down version of Nero?

@ Henry2050,

If in fact you totally and complexly remove the Pinnacle Software Program from your computer and then use a Widows Registry ‘Cleaner’ program to ensure the all raiments of the program are fully removed then you wouldn’t be able to use the Pinnacle Software Program. To prevent the recurrence of your “Intermittently Crashes Computer” BSOD problem you need to have the Pinnacle Software Program not installed on your Computer.

Once again to obtain another Software Program to replace your Pinnacle software suggest reviewing the General Software Forum Read First posting titled “Free Downloads” (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f3/free-downloads-your-welcome-128075) and note the various software programs available. There are many DVD Video Editing software programs available at the “Free Download” link.

Regards,
bjkg

bjkg

OK, I understand and will do that. I only used the Pinnacle because it came with the computer so I’ll enjoy trying out a couple of the alternatives. Actually I have a Panasonic camcorder that came with some software called MotionSD so I’ll give that a spin first.

Many thanks for your help with this.