Sony apologizes for killing Linux on the PS3

vbimport

I just posted the article Sony apologizes for killing Linux on the PS3.

Sony says sorry for banishing Linux from the PS3

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sony-apologizes-for-killing-linux-on-the-ps3-28347/](http://www.myce.com/news/sony-apologizes-for-killing-linux-on-the-ps3-28347/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Wasnt linux support already removed with the new PS3 introduced months ago?!?

[QUOTE=chef;2509453]Wasnt linux support already removed with the new PS3 introduced months ago?!?[/QUOTE]

no, the “Other OS” option was just not included in the ps3 slim. with the new update they actually got rid of that option from all ps3’s. I wonder how this affected people that already had linux installed… did it reformat the HD to get rid of it, or simply let them be… I wonder…

[QUOTE=ffire06;2509470]no, the “Other OS” option was just not included in the ps3 slim. with the new update they actually got rid of that option from all ps3’s. I wonder how this affected people that already had linux installed… did it reformat the HD to get rid of it, or simply let them be… I wonder…[/QUOTE]If you didn’t back up your stuff and reformat the HDD the linux partition became unusable.

I understand that GEOHOT is releasing modified V3.21 firmware which retains our beloved OtherOS support.

In addition, there is a MAGIC IP, which when configured in your PS3 as the DNS or as a proxy will bypass the 3.21 Check and allow your console to continue gaming / using the PSN network.

Furthermore, you can now install a special PS3 proxy on a windows PC, and configure your PS3’s proxy settings to use the proxy, which will allow you to bypass the check.

At any rate, I’m retaining my 3.15 firmware, and my otheros support, until I see how this all pans out.

Lastly, everyone needs to contact their local consumer protection organisation, and alert them to this disgraceful situation. If Sony gets away with this rediculous “feature removal”, it won’t be long until other corporations learn of this neat little trick, and follow suit.

For the next trick, they’ll start revoking product features, and charge for upgrades to get back the original features!!!

If they had ANY foresight and recognition of the potential of this hardware platform (floating-point and graphics convolutions at 20-50X the speed of an i7 or some of the Cray or IBM parallel PPC supercomputers) they would be positioning it as a mid-range graphics and audio workstation with high-end capabilities. Develop the ‘alternative’ OS by doing it better than anyone else, and having the best applications to take advantage of the custom chips (the CELL processor, for starters) and the software suite they already own and use on their Windows boxes- the Sonic Foundry apps. Make a PS3 cluster ‘plug and play’, and taking a page from the old Amiga playbook, have “smart” external interfaces for future formats and protocols. You would think that after the debacles of Beta videotape and the MiniDisk, they would have learned that ‘closed’ hardware and proprietary software doesn’t work,regardless of the technical merits of the underlying bits.