Sony announces 128GB BD-R XL discs for consumers

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/sony-announces-128gb-bd-r-xl-discs-for-consumers-85332/

Sony has announced a 128GB BD-R XL disc for consumers that will become available in November this year. The Japanese company boasts that it’s world’s largest BD-R disc. To enable the large capacity, the disc uses four layers.

Buffalo writer BRXL-PT6U2VB MediaStation Blu-Ray XL QL 128GB support?

Did they also boast that it will come with rootkit to disable your security.

It’s not worth it… 5 discs @ 128GB per disc is 640GB for $53. I can get a Hitachi 2TB (2000GB) hard drive for $39.95. so basically with the hard drive your getting more than triple the storage space for about $13 less and it’s far more convenient to and likely faster to access the data.

the only way those discs would be appealing is if they are reliable and reasonably priced as I can’t see spending more than $3 MAX per disc for any kind of recordable media like this and it has to have DVD recordable media reliability to as I see no point in buying recordable media if it can’t last AT LEAST 10-20+ years.

I fully agree as for as home storage goes. Even the physical storage space does not rival hard disks, i.e. 2TB portable HDD is more compact than a stack of 16 BD-R XL’s (for 2TB), plus no flipping through 16 discs to find a misplaced backup. As for a 5TB 2.5" portable HDD, there’s no comparison. :smile:

The only minor use I can think of would be for mailing a large amount of data on 1 to 3 discs. Even then, it would still be cheaper to mail 5 to 15 BD-R’s, plus less of a risk of a BD-R XL compatibility issue with the recipient’s BD-R drive, if they even have one.

A little cost comparison for here in Ireland:

• 5980 YEN is about €46.66 for 5 BD-R XL’s, i.e. €9.33 per 128GB BD-R XL disc
  • I can buy a refurbished 1TB USB HDD from Western Digital for €33
  • On Amazon UK, I can buy a BD-R 50-pack for about €37, which works out at €3.70 for 5 discs (125GB)
  • To mail 1, 2 or 3 BD-R XL’s would cost €9.33, €18.66 and €28 (plus postage), respectively. For 4 or more discs, it would be cheaper to buy and mail the 1TB USB HDD.
  • To mail 5, 10 or 15 BD-R’s would cost €3.70, €7.40 and €11.10 (plus postage), respectively.

Give it a few years and I’m sure most people will have fast enough broadband to quickly send 128+GB with a service like WeTransfer.

Remember the -R mean write once and if you delete that space that is wasted. I rather take a 8tb HDD for storage and archive first. The BD unless a movie is 128gb I doubt is much use to me.

First Sony BD-R 128GB QL media started to show up on ebay from sellers from Japan:

I’ve bought one of these but I can’t burn it using a Pioneer BDR-209M and Nero 2017 or ImgBurn.
Technical specs say QL are compatible (1), but supported media’s PDF shows no references (2).

Any idea?

1. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives/BDR-2209#WriteSupport
  2. https://pioneer.jp/device_e/product-e/ibs/device_e/pdf/BDR-209M_B.pdf

We have to wait for new firmware release from Pioneer to support writing on QL media.

Do you know the exact MID of these Sony’s QL BDs?

According to this page they might be NQ1 or NQ2. Others have said in this forum that Sony’s Optical Disc Archive and XDCAM use NQ1.

You can try to identify the MID of the discs by using OptiDriveControl.

Also check this post of the forum: SONY Japan BD-R QL (128 GB)

I’ve saw that before, in ODC Sony is using NQ1.:smile:

OptiDriveControl revealed “No disc inserted” under “Disc info” tab. I guess we’ll have to wait for that Pioneer firmware update to burn our first QL BD. :sweat_smile:

@ homenet:
It was me who tested the 128GB-QL-BD media in 2017. I found them in Sony’s XDCAM-Discs and ODC1500R cartridges. The discs have SONY-NQ1-001 MID.
For my Pioneer BDR-S09XLT writer, there was and still is no firmware available that supports writing onto these discs (a support inquiry in 2017 was not answered by Pioneer Japan). Pioneer’s specs claim that the writer supports QL-media. But this is only true for reading (which is good), but not for writing!
However, the LG WH16NS48 perfectly writes onto these discs.
I have ordered some of these (new) 128GB Sony discs directly from Japan. They have not arrived yet. I will report back later. I suppose that they also have SONY-NQ1-001 MID, according to this Japanese site: http://yss.la.coocan.jp/bdxl/bdxl.htm

I already have it

Pioneer BDR-S11JX and Pioneer BDR-211EBK do not recognize … they supposedly have a firmware upgrade in support for this media in the record …
For me, I only recognize this medium:
Pioneer BDR-PR1 MC-U 200 Almedio JIS Z6017
VinPower LG WH16NS48
VinPower LG WH16NS58

Can you write or scan the 128GB disc with your PR1MC?

I have not tested anything yet. Eternal lack of time …

Really interesting posts guys.

As it can be read here, Pioneer PR1 models only seem to write TL for the moment.

Let’s hope Pioneer release a new firmware soon to allow QL burns.

You do not give current data …

Sorry, it’s my fault. Thank you for illustrate us with updates. :wink:
Here is the link.

If you’d like to go hardcore, watch this.

Thanks for the info posted :wink:
Any working-list for tested-Writers with ‘real’ write Support for BD-R XL QL (128GB)?

I mean ‘real’ because some pre-2016 writers claim BD-R XL QL support and I didn’t test them yet… maybe with requirements like Firmware Updates and that stuff.

Note: … yeah we know Sony took a very long time to release this Blu-Ray Quad-Layer 128GB.

Related interesting info here Sony Japan BD-R QL 128GB