Sony 8x DVD+R's on sale at CompUsa for 14.99/50 pk!

These are Yuden T02’s (made in Japan). I bought my local store out of them.

Any word on Sony +RW’s? Anyone hear of a sale?

Haven’t looked for a sale because I don’t need any right now.
Just for your information, the Sony DVD+RW 1X-4X show media code of
Ricoh JPNW11. I also have some Fujifilm DVD+RW 4X that display the same media code. Both Sony and Fujifilm indicate made in Taiwan.
I have had excellent success with both the Sony and Fuji’s, so if you don’t see the Sony on sale look for the Fuji’s (Best Buy Carries them).

Thanks!

I just got back from my local Circuit City store and they have the 50 pack Sony +R’s on sale. The cost is $14.99 and these are also Yuden T02’s.
I did not find these disks on the Circuit City web page or the current Sunday circular.
The -R’s are on sale also but they are not Yuden or made in Japan.

I never buy - media, but if I’m not mistaken Sony-R’s made in Japan are TYG02’s which are Taiyo Yudens.

The 8X +R MIJ are YUDEN T02, but the 8X -R regardless if it’s MIJ or MIT will have SONY08D1 MID which is not up to TY quality so avoid Sony -R if possible.

Interesting, could it be the videohelp.com codes are wrong?
Like I mentioned I have no experience at all with minus media, all my backups are DVD-Rom format using strictly plus media for that.

There haven’t been Sony dash 8X TYG-02 for over a year now. There might be some in Japan but I have not seen them in the US for over a year, they disappeared like the TDK Tys. The new Sony dash 8X MIJ media are SonyO8D1

Also, look at how many people report getting tyg02. 56 people report getting sony08d1 and 1 person reports getting tyg02. Usally that means that while there may have been a little of the ty sold as -r sony, it wasn’t very much and it is not very common.

Here’s what DVD Identifier says about this Sony 8X -R MIJ I bought from Staples last December when it went on sale. :sad:I also thought it was TY, but alas this is what I get for not checking the forum beforehand. Lesson learned, so I just use the discs for copies to family and friends and not for backups.

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:SONY08D1]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Sony Recording Media Co.]
Manufacturer ID : [SONY08D1]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.2.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

alan1476 / ripit
Thanks for the info guys, obviously the TYG02 are obsolete in the Sony line for those of us in the USA. Wonder if this holds true for those in other parts of the world, excluding Japan.

There is nothing wrong with SONY08D1 people. In my experience there is little, if any, difference in quality between it and TYG02.

This is true, the Sony08D1 are good discs but not quite the quality of TYG-02 but then again it all depends on the batch and TwoDegrees is right for dash media there really is not much of a diffference. On another note, I just returned from Staples and I brought the CompUSA ad with me and they 110% price matched the Sony Yudens +8X Yuden000-T02-000 so I got 200 for 52.00 tax included. I don’t care where you shop, that is the best price in the country for this media. 26.00USD per hundred tax included, I should have bought more but I couldn’t rationalize more already having over 500 of these.

Originally Posted by capted
I just got back from my local Circuit City store and they have the 50 pack Sony +R’s on sale. The cost is $14.99 and these are also Yuden T02’s.
I did not find these disks on the Circuit City web page or the current Sunday circular.
The -R’s are on sale also but they are not Yuden or made in Japan.

Perhaps I was not clear, I looked at so many DVD’s. The point is that the Sony +R’s were labeled “Fabrique’ au Japon” and proved to be Yuden000-T02-000. The Sony -R’s were made either in Hong Kong or Taiwan. I don’t remember specifically since I was looking for any brand made in Japan.

$12.99/25 pk @ CompUsa.

I just bought some of the Sony 8x +R’s and the came up as Sony D21 for the media code. What gives, I thought all the MIJ +R’s were T02’s. Is this something new? I haven’t
bought Sony +R’s for quite a while. Are these disc’s going to suck?
Thanks,Budzos

Are you sure that they aren’t the 16x? The D21 media code is for 16x Sony +R’s. Here is the best I could get for them. Note the 16x write speed.

Just a heads up guys, all the new Sony MIJ 8X DVD-R spindles in Canada seem to be TYG02, not SONY08D1.

I believe Sony has stopped making 8X media in Japan (16X in its place), so they’re not supplementing their MIT stock with TYG02 instead of SONY08D1.

The package did say 8x but the media says it will burn from 6x to 16x. Definitely not my
usual TO2’s. I guess I’ll just use them for unimportant stuff.
Budzos