Sony 845S

vbimport

Hi, does anyone know where to obtain firmware for the Sony DRU-845S burner? I can’t find it listed on Sony’s storage website…

Hi,

if I remember correctly, then this is a Samsung based drive (most likely a Samsung SH-S203N, perhaps a 203P).
I am not aware about the availability of Sony 84x firmwares at the moment, so you’ll have to stick with what you have or crossflash your drive irreversibly to Samsung firmware.

Michael

The 845S seems to be a Samsung 203P from some past readings. There’s also a 842A available, probably another 20x Samsung PATA derivative.

If I crossflash, will my drive be bricked? Or I will only lose Lightscribe functionality?

Hi,[quote=KTL;2133392]The 845S seems to be a Samsung 203P from some past readings.[/Quote]At least the drive here (http://ci-wang.blogspot.com/2007/12/sony-dru-845s-20x-sata.html) is a TS-H653N (=SH-S203N). Look at the sticker in the 3rd picture. :wink:

There’s also a 842A available, probably another 20x Samsung PATA derivative.
Perhaps based on Samsungs second generation 20x drives…

[quote=trenzterra;2133427]If I crossflash, will my drive be bricked? Or I will only lose Lightscribe functionality?[/quote]There is always a risk to kill the drive by flashing firmware, especially since there is no Sony firmware available, so you couldn’t go back. Also, you must exactly know what other drive has identical hardware as yours.
You won’t lose Lightscribe capabilities since both SH-S203N and 203P support Lightscribe.
Please take your drive out of your computer and look at the tiny sticker at the back of the drive like in this picture. If the last line states “TS-H653[B]N[/B] etc.”, then it is a 203[B]N[/B].

Michael

Thanks Micheal. Moved to the Samsung forum. :wink:

Why do you need to crossflash it?

Hi,[quote=pfloyd1;2133803]Why do you need to crossflash it?[/quote]the original question was for newer firmware. Since Sony didn’t provide any firmware updates, the only way to have more recent firmware would be to crossflash to Samsung firmware.

But I agree, if there are no major issues, a firmware update (especially accompanied with a crossflash) is not necessary.

Michael

[QUOTE=pfloyd1;2133803]Why do you need to crossflash it?[/QUOTE]

well actually because i’d prefer my drive to be region free

the last line states TN-H653N2OX, what does this mean?

It indicates that it’s a Samsung S203N.

thank you!

has anyone tried xflashing their sony drive with success?

Read here. Remember that if you crossflash, you will void any warranty.

[QUOTE=trenzterra;2134107]well actually because i’d prefer my drive to be region free[/QUOTE]

Why not use regionkill and not take the chance of bricking the drive?