Sony 500A/AX 2.0g firmware

Just seen it over at rpc1.org

Not sure whats new exactly but having flashed my drive, I can tell you it now supports the new ADIP reading command.

I hope its a new feature anyway!

What is the new adip command ? Lost me there !
And what else does it make your Sony 500a capable of ? (I’ve just flashed from a dwu-10a to a 500a thus to the new 2.0g firmware, and havent tried it yet.:stuck_out_tongue:

It means you can find out who makes (the dye, that is) DVD+R / DVD+RW discs in the same way you can DVD-R / DVD-RW discs.

Interesting, and handy. I do have the excellent “DVD Identifier” to do that though ! (Especially since they now do -R too now)

So is 2.0g a success ? I’ve never had the chance to try it yet.

Originally posted by Phil K1

So is 2.0g a success ? I’ve never had the chance to try it yet.
It’s high time then. :wink: It now let me do the stuff I couldn’t w 2.0f.

Originally posted by BoSkin
It’s high time then. :wink: It now lets me do the stuff I couldn’t with 2.0f.

Good stuff, Bo. What’s your experience with it ?
(I havent had the opportunity yet, and am keen to hear reports on what cheap media is writing fine at 4x - I have only used Ritek 4x G04’s and a JVC 2x, no Princo or others, so keen to know.)

Good stuff, Bo. What’s your experience with it ?

Well, frankly it’s not as big as it should. :o
I haven’t gotten opportunity to burn 4x media yet.
Also the DVD+R stuff burnt by the Sony works better than DVD-R w my 5 y.o. standalone Panasonic.

datawrite yellow and ritek still write at 2x on some 4x discs for me with the new 2.0g firmware.
does anyone else still have this problems.

Erm…I hadn’t re-enabled the DMA…cough…embarrased…now it’s burning at 4x no problem. Should’ve checked…

…now it’s burning at 4x no problem
Cool !

I got it right the following day, and was so embarrased by my dopiness, I didnt post !:confused: :slight_smile: :bigsmile:

ok so here is what happened, i have a sony 510a 4x drive and somehow i flashed it with the 1.0g firmware for the dru-500a,

not sure how the updater let me do this bc i cant seem to get the updates for the 510a like firmware 1.0c and 1.0d to flash it back, they keep saying no drives to update. so the computer sees only a 500a not a 510a now. My question is how do i erase the firmware or switch it back to 510a. any help would be awsome.

Keylay it would be interesting to know if your sony still works with the 500a firmware???

As a suggestion you could look around how they flash a Liteon LDW-400D to a Sony 500a, something similar could work for your Sony 510 too!

I uninstalled the WinAmp CD writer plug-in, set my IDE adapter for PIO instead of DMA and now it works. Make sure you set the DVD-R’s channel (primary or secondary) to PIO.
The instructions say to remove all packet writing CDR related software but I’d bet it goes beyond that since the WinAmp thing seems to have been my stumbling block.