Sony 4X DVD-R disks: who really makes them?

vbimport

Hi-

Just bought some Sony 4X DVD-R disks from Staples: $9.94 for a 10 pack.

Ran DVD Info Pro on them and for Media code/Manufacturer ID is “SONY04D1”.

I was under the impression that Sony didn’t make DVD-R media, was I mistaken? Or do they just have whoever actually makes their media put the sony name on it?

Any comments on who really makes these disks?

Thanks!

From my experiance “SONY” DVD media has in the past been branded as RICOHJPNR01. A quality product.

Run it on DVD Identifier and we will see if I´m right.

:cool:

Or you could try this out…

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdmedia

Type in “Sony” in the first box (not the media code box, but the one before that), select +R, select 4x, and do a search… the results will show that the 2 media codes that you would expect from a Sony 4x +R disc is either MCC002 or RICOHJPNR01 (both are fairly good–Mitsubishi Chemical Corp tends to perform better than Ricohs, it seems), and that there are more reports of the Ricoh than the MCC.

It’s a nice online tool that’s helped me in a number of media purchase decisions.

Sony manufactures some DVD media in Austria (mostly DVD-R I believe) but they have also outsourced DVD-R production to some Taiwanese company/ies (Lead Data if I remember correct) which uses Sony mid code and dye.
Most DVD+R are just ordinary MCC or Ricoh media and some DVD-Rs are also MCC.

I’m about 73.5% certain that the Austrian Sony DVD-R is made by Daxon with a Sony stamper.

Originally posted by UV254
[B]Hi-

Just bought some Sony 4X DVD-R disks from Staples: $9.94 for a 10 pack.

Ran DVD Info Pro on them and for Media code/Manufacturer ID is “SONY04D1”.
[/B]

OOPS. You said -R in your post, not +R, but my post was about +R. is embarrassed

Thanks all… some nice replies with a few tools I didn’t know about. I’ll give them a try and will post what I find.

DVD-Rs with the SONY media code Made in Austria are made by kdg Mediatech AG.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Hi,TVCD. Are they any good?

Winli is a Hong Kong disc manufacture that used to produce cd-r for Sony. They have just bought DVD-R lines and will start (or just started) to produce DVD-R for Sony.

I picked up a mess of boxes of these from Staples as well - DVD-R 4x media. I haven’t tried it in my Plextor 708A yet as I am still working down my Arita 4x stuff, but I am interested in reading other’s experiences.

Originally posted by jsl

Sony manufactures some DVD media in Austria (mostly DVD-R I believe)
True. DMR47L1 :

Drive Type = DVD DUAL
Disc Type = DVD-R (Single Layer)
Disc MID = 53 4F 4E 59 00 00 (SONY…)
Disc TID = 00 00 00 00 00 00 (…)
Nominal Capacity = 4.38GB
Manufacturer Maybe = Sony Corporation
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 2.0X (Write)

Disc Type…: DVD-R, Vers. 2.0
Manufacturer ID…: SONY
Disc Size…: 120 mm
Number of Layers…: 1
Linear Density…: 0.267 µm/bit
Track Density…: 0.74 µm/track
Application code…: 40: Disc for unrestricted use, Consumer purpose disc
Track pitch…: 0,74 µm
Reference velocity…: 3,49 m/s
Reflectivity…: 45% to 85%
Media Type…: Organic dye
Last adr. of Data Recordable Area…: FD9ED8h (16621272)
OPC code (recommanded recording power)…: 10.0 mW

@BoSkin: Yup, these are the ones made by kdg mediatech AG.

so are they considered good? I have burnt a couple packs so far on the 106 but am wondering if they are high enough quality to burn at 8X in my 107 with decent error levels. Then again I have been using longten media at 6x so I would hope the sonys are good at 8x.The packs I have say made in japan but identify as sony in dvdinfo.Oh yeah I am referring to DVD-R.

They have worked excellent at 4x on all my drives, haven’t tested them at 8x though.