Sony 4X-40X

vbimport

Hi,

I had heard that the previous (non TY) Sonys were bad - they had poor build quality etc. I recently bought some new SOnys with the following ATIP:

ATIP: 97m 24s 15f
Disc Manufacturer: Sony Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

They seem to be very good so far. Any experiences?

my friend recently bought a pack of sony cdrs with the same atip info. i tried burning one at its smart-burn limit (40x) and even that was too high of a speed for these 48x-rated cds. i scanned it with cd doctor at max speed (40x in this case cuz it’s an svcd), and even though the C1 count wasn’t bad (max 27, avg 1.545) there were C2 errors (max 46, avg 0.064) at the very end of the cd, during the last minute or so. i can imagine that scanning at 52x would produce a larger magnitude of errors.

i tried burning another one at 32x and scanned again at 40x, and this time there were no C2 errors. these seem to be ok if burned at 32x or less, but i wouldn’t try any speed higher than that, which is fairly disappointing since my friend got these for the same price after rebate as the fujis last week from best buy, which are good up to 52x.

I think that Lead Data makes these discs for Sony with the Sony ATIP. AFAIK Sony doesn’t make their own discs. Lead Data is known as a terrible manufacturer, but I wonder if they might have higher quality control for discs produced for Sony?

Originally posted by AZImmortal
these seem to be ok if burned at 32x or less, but i wouldn’t try any speed higher than that, which is fairly disappointing

Thankfully I have a 24X burner - so shud be fine :slight_smile:

Unfortunately can’t do a C2 error check…drive doesn’t support it.

These are very nice discs Kartik. I burnt them at 48X in my 52246S with max 25 C1 and 0 C2 errors! Without getting too anal about the whole thing, as long as the cds work fine in your drive, I wouldn’t put too much (just a little!) importance on the C1-C2 scans.

Hi Bhairav!

If thats the case then these are pretty good discs economy wise too. Got them for Rs 400 for a spindle of 25. How much did you get em for?

@Bhairav: did u disable smart-burn to burn at 48x?

Kartik - paid 100 for 6, didn’t need more at the time :wink:

AZ - no mate, the default burn speed was 48X. SmartBurn was enabled.
6s0D firmware for the 52246S

@Bhairav: did u check to make sure the atip info is the same for ur discs as for the ones ExpectTech pasted? cuz mine were smart-burn limited to 40x using 6S0D. here’s the smart-burn atip info:

Disc Type, Material = CD-R, Phthalocyanine
        ATIP Lead-in = 97m 24s 15f
   Norminal Capacity = 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f)

Disc Manufacturer maybe = SONY (40x)
SMART-BURN Speed Limit = 40X

Sony CDR 700 MB 40X rated
ATIP: 97m 24s 15f
Disc Manufacturer: Sony Corp.
Reflective layer: Dye (Short strategy; e.g. Phthalocyanine)
Media type: CD-Recordable
Recording Speeds: min. unknown - max. unknown
nominal Capacity: 702.83MB (79m 59s 74f / LBA: 359849)

weird. lemme check the Smart-Burn tab. My 52246S is undergoing an RMA, and I am having to make do with a Samsung 48/24/48 drive.

try using the smart-burn app from lite-on to get the atip info, it’ll tell u the smart-burn limit.

Don’t waste your time about Sony >24x rated CDRS.
All these media ,not only able burn > of rated speed ,but not reliable at all if not use less speed for burning …Especially in use with Liteon (maybe drive dosn’t like them)…
Try find older Sony’s 24x (made by TY in 650MB or Mitsui in 700MB)
Able burn @ 40x with not problem at all !!

Sony stopped their TYs. (Sadly) I couldnt find any Sony TYs in the market right now.

But these Sonys look much better than the earlier 24X batch with ATIP of manufactured by Sony. This is referring to the ‘bad’ batch that Sony produced.

One notable difference between these and the earlier 24X flavor is that the dye used in the newer ones is silver in color as opposed to the blue color used in the earlier flavors.

Both have Sony Corp in the ATIP and are manufactured by Lead Data.

Can any inference be drawn from this?