Sony 320GB PS3 to be released Nov. 9

vbimport

I just posted the article Sony 320GB PS3 to be released Nov. 9.

Sony is now accepting pre-orders for the 320GB PlayStation 3 standalone game console that will publicly launch on Tuesday, Nov. 9. The new 320GB model will be available for $349.99 and gives gamers a higher storage option over the current 160GB model.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/sony-320gb-ps3-to-be-released-nov-9-36021/](http://www.myce.com/news/sony-320gb-ps3-to-be-released-nov-9-36021/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Been @320GB for over 2 years …
I’d rather purchase the basic console, and purchase a separate HDD for a fraction of the cost of the sony premium consoles.

A very quick look at a major retailer here in Oz, suggests the difference is approx $100au between the 160GB & 320GB console.
For the difference, you can easily get a 500GB 7200RPM, or 640GB 5400RPM HDD for the difference.

You also then have a small capacity, low performance, low energy, HDD left over for whatever - external portable storage, experimentation with other operating systems , backups …

The performance of the HDD that sony was bundling in the PS3’s (2yrs ago) was completely sub-par when I benchmarked it. Maybe they’re improving now???

I have the PS 120gb model. I went out and bought a 640gb drive, and now I’m golden. Plenty of room. For the price of the 320gb, you could get a 160gb and upgrade it 640gb for less than you would pay for the 320.
And installing a new drive in a slim is a piece of pie.

I’ll be buying a new 320GB PS3 as soon as they come out. I’ve been wanting a second one for a while now and this is the perfect time to get one. I’m not bothering trying to add an external hard drive and have Sony come out with a firmware update that’ll kill it or not let me use anything that’s been transferred to it. There’s always that possibility…

I don’t follow the logic of the previous posters where they claim that you can go out and buy a hard drive for less than buying the 320GB model–you still have to buy a PS3 to hook your new hard drive up to, so where exactly is the savings?? Hard drives aren’t that cheap. A basic Sony PS3 is going to run you at least $300 (unless you buy a used one, but even then, you’re still paying $200-$250 plus another $75-$125 for an upgraded drive). Doesn’t really make any sense to me…

[QUOTE=Chimera1970;2553646]I’ll be buying a new 320GB PS3 as soon as they come out. I’ve been wanting a second one for a while now and this is the perfect time to get one. I’m not bothering trying to add an external hard drive and have Sony come out with a firmware update that’ll kill it or not let me use anything that’s been transferred to it. There’s always that possibility…

I don’t follow the logic of the previous posters where they claim that you can go out and buy a hard drive for less than buying the 320GB model–you still have to buy a PS3 to hook your new hard drive up to, so where exactly is the savings?? Hard drives aren’t that cheap. A basic Sony PS3 is going to run you at least $300 (unless you buy a used one, but even then, you’re still paying $200-$250 plus another $75-$125 for an upgraded drive). Doesn’t really make any sense to me…[/QUOTE]
I don’t know where you are, but here where I live, I got a 640gb hard drive fore $70. Add that to the cost of the PS3 was about $230. So for around $300 I was able to almost 6x my original config of my 120. And the drive is internal NOT external.

[QUOTE=Chimera1970;2553646]I don’t follow the logic of the previous posters where they claim that you can go out and buy a hard drive for less than buying the 320GB model[/QUOTE]
No-one claimed that you can buy a new PS3 for the price of a HDD.

Everyone is claiming (rightfully) that you can buy the cheapest PS3, buy a bigger/better/faster HDD, and replace the internal HDD with it.
You can buy the cheaper model PS3 + new HDD, for significantly less than buying sony’s 320GB console, and still end up with a bigger & faster HDD inside your PS3.

But hey, thanks for subsidising the cheaper PS3’s, I’d like another PS3 for my bedroom TV :wink:
No one mentioned external drives at all.

The HDD’s inside the PS3’s are off-the-shelf sata 2.5" HDD’s - which they obviously purchase in bulk at the lowest possible price (my PS3’s 40GB HDD was a hitachi).

Replacing the stock 160GB/320GB HDD with a newer technology (faster) higher capacity drive is the simplest thing in the world for a new PS3.

Download the latest PS3 firmware, stick it on a usb drive (in the right folder), replace the HDD (seriously … it’s just 2 small screws), turn the PS3 on, stick the USB drive in as required, the PS3 will automatically walk your through formatting the new HDD … and then you are ready to go.

For an older PS3, you have to back up all your stuff first to an external drive, then do the above, then restore the stuff from the external drive.

1. Simple. 2) Cheaper. 3) Better.

The only PS3s that I find for $230 are USED.

I might believe it (your so-called ‘rightful’ claims) if somebody actually printed a link to a brand-new PS3 that costs $230 (tax and shipping included!). The cheapest one on Amazon is $299.99 (160GB & 120GB) or $289 from a third-party seller on Amazon. I won’t bother looking at Best Buy since I already know better.

Of course, if you’re willing to purchase a USED system, it would be cheaper to buy one and a new hdd. That’s a no-brainer. But then again, we’re talking about a NEW system here, so trying to make your case comparing new and used systems is literally like comparing apples to oranges.

Prove me wrong.

[QUOTE=gamo62;2553792]I don’t know where you are, but here where I live, I got a 640gb hard drive fore $70. Add that to the cost of the PS3 was about $230. So for around $300 I was able to almost 6x my original config of my 120. And the drive is internal NOT external.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Chimera1970;2554018]The only PS3s that I find for $230 are USED.

I might believe it (your so-called ‘rightful’ claims) if somebody actually printed a link to a brand-new PS3 that costs $230 (tax and shipping included!). The cheapest one on Amazon is $299.99 (160GB & 120GB) or $289 from a third-party seller on Amazon. I won’t bother looking at Best Buy since I already know better.
[/QUOTE]
Chimera has a point - no new systems for under $300 in the USA.

Also, I note on the pictures at newegg that the new 320GB console has returned Memory stick readers to the console, while the 160GB model has none (older model perhaps?)

The $400 320GB bundle is alright considering you get the inbuilt card readers, and the PS eye/move bundled with it, compared to the basic 160GB console.

Different story here in Oz - the 160GB is $450 (new) … and the 320GB bundle is $600 and only includes a bunch of crappy games - can get a samsung 640GB HDD @5400rpm for as low as $80 on special, or $115 everywhere else.