Sony 18x DRU-830A Launched

Sony has announced its new DRX-830 series of DVD multi-format DVD/CD burners. The new 830 series arrive in three different models—the internal DRU-830A, external DRX-830U and Macintosh and PC compatible external DRX-830UL-T. All three drives are capable of burning DVD±R media at 18x, a slight speed increase from current 16x drives. While DVD±R media is burnt at 18x, DVD±R DL media burning remains at 8x. Other supported media formats include DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM, CD-R and CD-RW. All three drives are equipped with a 2MB buffer and feature Sony’s Power-Burn buffer under-run protection technology.

The DRU-830A is an internal IDE burner and is PC compatible. A black replacement front bezel is included with the DRU-830A to color match with black cases. The DRX-830U features a USB 2.0 interface for external connectivity. The PC compatible DRX-830A and DRX-830U include Nero 7 for burning tasks. Sony’s DRX-830UL-T is Mac and PC compatible. It sports a USB 2.0 and Firewire 1394a interface. It includes Nero 7 for PC burning and Roxio Toast 6 Lite for Mac burning tasks.

Via DailyTech

Does any body know on which OEM model is this drive based on?

It’s either an OEM LiteOn LH-18A1P or one of the NEC/Sony Optiarc drives:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=190476

Sony is loath to speak on the topic or show full photos of 830A [as usual], but my money is on 830A being a Samsung unit this time.

So far, only PC World has published a picture, and it looks remarkably like a S182D.

SH-S182D: http://www.pcworld.com/product/specs/id,29203-c,opticaldrives/specs.html
DRU-830A: http://www.pcworld.com/product/specs/id,29202-c,opticaldrives/specs.html

Media-Tek chipset? I think you are right.

Thanks agent009. It does look that way. Probably not a bad choice going by some of the results I’ve seen in the Samsung forum.

Nice bezel.

@agent

Is the 820 any good?

Yep, its identical to one scratch. Now if only SONY sounded as cool as say 20 years ago… I kinda like the faceplate, still.

Cool or not, what matters is that the faceplate with the word SONY on it [and a nice-looking $3 retail box] instantly doubles the average selling price of the drive. :slight_smile:

For the extra money you will probably be getting a guaranteed higher spec drive. :wink:

I would to agree with you first guess C0deking and lean towards it being Nec/Sony optics. There production started on April 01, 2006.

The only thing that Samsung and Sony have established is a 50-50 joint venture in South Korea for the production of liquid crystal displays for flat-panel televisions.

:cool: :cool:

Does the SH-S182D and LiteOn LH-18A1P have the same Mediatek chipsets?

Yes

:cool: :cool:

Now again the question comes whether it is a samsung or lite-on? :doh:

I was actually thinking that it was some unknown rebadged benq drive. :bigsmile:

I think they’re missing the boat by not offering the internal as SATA and not having the SATA connector on the external model.Why have 2 i-link and no SATA?What % of owners use the i-link connector?

Most new mainboards have 4 to 8 SATA connectors and some have an esata port.My new mainboard has 8 SATA 300 and an esata but only 1 ide channel for 2 devices.

I’ve owned the SATA LG GSA-H30N since early July without even a small hic-cup.

The puzzling thing is about the 12X DVD-RAM spec.Why have it if there’s no Maxell 6X~12X DVD-RAM except in Japan.Are the drives more expensive to make with this feature that most people outside of Japan can use?

Hi,

2 firewire connectors are needed for daisy chaining of several IEEE1394 devices. Also, Firewire is more common than E-SATA, especially in notebook computers.

The puzzling thing is about the 12X DVD-RAM spec.Why have it if there’s no Maxell 6X~12X DVD-RAM except in Japan.Are the drives more expensive to make with this feature that most people outside of Japan can use?
Maybe it is just only a matter of firmware, like with LG’s H10A/H10N. I doubt, that there is special hardware for 12x or 5x DVD-RAM speed nowadays.

Michael

I hope its not the Samsung.

Hm. Recent Samsungs aren’t bad. My SHW163A is a better CD-burner than my Liteys (SHM-165P6S and SOHR-5239V).

Michael

My 182 is not good.

DRU-830A spetifications:
http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/product/DRU-830A
Dimensions (WxHxD): 5.75X1.63X7.0 inches. Drive depth is [B]7 inches (177.8 mm)[/B]. :slight_smile: It is not a Samsung S182D (170 mm), LiteOn LH-18A1P (170 mm) or NEC/Sony Optiarc (170 mm).

It looks like a Benq. :wink: DV1800?

The latest specs I received from Sony is different than the PDF online.
· Burst data transfer rate: 66.6 MB/s max. Ultra DMA Mode 4 :slight_smile: