Sony 16X MIJ , crap?

vbimport

My brother sent me two 50 disc spindles of Sony 16X MIJ DVD+R sometime ago,he coudn’t find the famous 8X Sony +R with TY dye.
I thought that they are ok as they are MIJ and burnt decently and they were $15 per spindle , but I rescanned them today and was shocked to see how fast they degrade , see for yourselves :

Now :

Is this degradation normal ? I mean it is only 5 weeks , what would happen in a year or more ? :sad:

The transfer rate test is still excellent though :

What do you think guys ?

I posted awhile back about some degradation that I saw with a Sony 8x +R (D11) (I think general opinion from members at the time was that they could have been made in Austria).

Not quite the same thing, but I’d suggest you keep hold of that disc and check for further signs in say a month’s time. :slight_smile:

There’s a different firmware on the scanner…

Well spotted - I missed that :bigsmile:

That shouldn’t be an issue… I’ve never noticed scanning behavior change because of a different firmware with BenQ drives, and CERTAINLY such a big difference could not be explained by the firmware.

OP: I think I have officially crossed Sony media, be it made in Japan, Austria, or Taiwan, off my “good” media list after seeing this result. There is just too much accelerated aging and realworld data suggesting Sony has major issues on their hands.

I must ask though, are you sure that when you recanned the disc it wasn’t dusty when viewed under a bright artificial light?

I think you should re-scan with BSPB firmware. Disc Ageing usually happens from the outer edge inwards. Not across the disc as a whole.

Disc’s do not have to degraded from the outer edges.
IT depends on what is caussing the problem.
Incase of oxidation. Yeah the sides would be more likely.
But there are some other options when it comes to disc’s getting sky high errors.

Thats why i said “USUALLY” LOL

I rescanned with BSPB f/w and the result is the same.
I also checked the discs and they are fine , no dust or scratches whatsoever , I always keep my discs safe.
I just don’t know , if after a month I rescanned and it didn’t degrade more , should they be fine ?
Is it a better idea to do TRT instead of PIE/PIF scan to watch for the readability of a disc ?
Don’t you guys have this D21 MIJ media to scan and let me see whether it is common with MIJ Sony or it is just my 2 spindles .

I don’t have any SONYD21, but I have a 3 month old MIJ SONY08D1 that is showing quite signifigant deterioration. PIE levels up are ~40% across the board. Maybe I’ll post the scans later.

Bought a spindle of 10 “SONY D21” disks at a local supermarket. I’m not too impressed with the quality of this media, will rescan them after a month or two and check how the errors develop.

SONY D21 burned on Plex 755A:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1453060&postcount=2069

SONY D21 burned on BenQ DW1655:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1453071&postcount=2070

Also the MIT DVD+R 8X 10 pack Jewel Case :

First :

Now “after only one month” :

:a

Again TRT is very good :

For me, such discs would need to be re-scanned regularly to check the rate of degradation.

For readability, TRT is ultimately more useful, depending on what the disc is used for, as unless your PC drives have very similar error tolerance levels to your DVD standalones (for DVD-Video anyway), a readable disc on PC drive [B]does not[/B] mean the disc will be usable on your intended playback device.

Of course, if all your drives have the error-tolerance levels found in Lite-ON burners, you can probably wait until the discs have degraded to [I]very[/I] bad levels before needing to re-copy the contents :bigsmile:

Arent you contradicting yourself in this paragraph?

After reading it I still don’t know whether you think transfer tests or quality scans are more useful. :confused:

I know what my own opinion is, but I can’t determine your opinion from that explanation!

hmm, I thought it was fairly clear, obviously not :o

I was trying to say that even succesful TRT on PC drives doesn’t neccessarily indicate playability for DVD-Video discs unless the PC drive is similar to your standalone drive in terms of it’s error tolerance and reading abilities.

I feel it’s better to just skip TRT on PC drives and instead do high-speed FF to check for potential readability issues for such discs.

PC-Data discs, TRT on PC drives is of course, the only option.

This is a MIJ Sony 8X DVD-R burned on March 6th. It has been stored in a full size jewel case in a black box in a 18-25C, 35-70% humidity environment. This disc has not been handled more than once or twice since being burned, and it’s virtually free of dust or scratches.

First image is the original scan, and second image is the scan from last night. As you can see, PIE totals are up ~33% at it looks like we might be beginning to see problems at the outer edge. IMO, there is too much evidence pointing to serious lifespans with Sony media from any country, for me to use or recommend it.

After the D11 scan that I did a few weeks back, and now seeing this thread, there’s no way I’d use Sony (wherever it was from) for archival purposes. :disagree:

can you flash back to BSOB and repeat the scan?

Oh dear, it looks like this disc isn’t bad afterall. :eek: :o

Just out of curiosity (because I’ll gladly believe the Sony’s have degraded), I’d like to ask minaelromany if his PC was/was not overclocked when doing the old/new scan?