Sony 100 pks. for 22.99 or less

vbimport

Are these decent discs? I heard MIT were good, but I haven’t kept up on it.

Best Buy has them for 22.99.

Here’s a post on ripped from SD on how to get it lower:

"Best Buy has 100 pack of Sony DVD-Rs for $22.99.

Staples has them for $59.98.

Here’s the math:

$59.98 - $40.69 (110% PM) - $10 of $20 Coupon + filler + tax = 9.29 + filler + tax "

I don’t think they do a 110% match anymore though.

This is a regular sale price. Nothing special. The -R MIJ and MIT burns well for me, but they’re not top-tier disks anymore since most of the Sony -Rs are now MIM. Some folks do like and swear by the +Rs, I simply swear at them. Truthfully, these days, if it’s not Verbatim, it’s nothing to get excited about.

Also, Staples is not going to do a PM and let you use a coupon, and they are no longer doing 110% PMs. In others words, that’s a waste of time. Please don’t listen to or pay attention to what anyone on SD says about media. They are morons in that department.

All,

I have had excellent results when using Sony -R in the 50 pack spindles. I have only used the MIT ones. My local Staples has MIT and MIM. The spindles look the same so I have to look around. As far as the $10 coupon goes the last time I tried to use staples would not accept. Said to many forgeries going around. :a

Next week Staples has the Sony 100 pack $22.98. I have had good results but the packaging has changed -so I am not sure if good quality will continue.

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I know they don’t know media, that’s why I asked here :slight_smile:

As far as coupons it’s always YMMV and some people get the match and use the coupon.

22.99 isn’t too bad, if it’s a good price on Verbatims then it would be a good price on Sony if they were good discs. That’s why I asked here because I’m not up on media, but I knew at one point some Sony’s were decent. I know they aren’t TY anymore. I’d probably try this, but I prefer +R so I’ll wait.

What about current Verbs? Are they on to the 7 series for the most part? Last time I bought I got PAP6 so I returned them.

Thanks much for the help. It’s hard to get good media and a good price at the same time.

If you don’t want to mess with coupons and just go for good media what do you suggest?

TY 8x? From what online vendor?

[QUOTE=aman74;2049741]If you don’t want to mess with coupons and just go for good media what do you suggest?

TY 8x? From what online vendor?[/QUOTE]

1. 100-pack Verbatims are on sale right now at OfficeMax. The ad says $24.99, but someone reported that they got some for $20.99 at their local store, so it might be a hidden extra discount.

2. The best place to buy Taiyo Yuden is Rima, followed by SuperMediaStore.

Yeah, I saw that sale, but you were saying earlier in this thread that that’s not a great price for 100 discs?

I’m also wondering if the Verbs are still mostly PAP6 or if they are onto PAP7 and MAP7.

Last time I got in on the Verb sale I got PAP6 and returned em’.

[QUOTE=aman74;2050462]Yeah, I saw that sale, but you were saying earlier in this thread that that’s not a great price for 100 discs?

I’m also wondering if the Verbs are still mostly PAP6 or if they are onto PAP7 and MAP7.

Last time I got in on the Verb sale I got PAP6 and returned em’.[/QUOTE]

No, it’s not a great price for Sony disks. For Verbatim disks it is a good price. Verbatims are way better. :cool:

Don’t worry about all the talk about PAPA/PAP6 or MAPA/MAP6/MAP7. Verbatims are still the best media available via local retail. Just buy them. Look at my scans in the thread I posted about the Verbatim sale this week.

Thanks. I’ve just seen that sale price several times now on Verb’s so I figured it was the regular sale price like you mentioned for the Sony’s and not anything special regardless of our opinions on the discs.

What TY’s do you recommend? I have a Benq DW1640 with updated firmware. BSLB I think. I belive the Benq likes -R better, but I’ve been going with +R with booktyping for overall compatibilty, so unless it’s an issue I’m gonna stick with +R. What are good TY’s without spending too much? Also, I have some old TY CD’rs and they have a shiny surface that gets fingerprints easily so I’d like to avoid that.

RIMA and SupermediaStore run sales or should I just pay the advertised price?

I heard with the Verbs I should engage solidburn on Qsuite if they are PAP6? Not sure how much all this matters as you seem to like any Verb. I need to look more into Qsuite as I don’t even if I have to open it everytime or once it’s set it keeps those settings, etc…

Thanks

[QUOTE=aman74;2050517]Thanks. I’ve just seen that sale price several times now on Verb’s so I figured it was the regular sale price like you mentioned for the Sony’s and not anything special regardless of our opinions on the discs.

What TY’s do you recommend? I have a Benq DW1640 with updated firmware. BSLB I think. I belive the Benq likes -R better, but I’ve been going with +R with booktyping for overall compatibilty, so unless it’s an issue I’m gonna stick with +R. What are good TY’s without spending too much? Also, I have some old TY CD’rs and they have a shiny surface that gets fingerprints easily so I’d like to avoid that.

I heard with the Verbs I should engage solidburn on Qsuite if they are PAP6? Not sure how much all this matters as you seem to like any Verb. I need to look more into Qsuite as I don’t even if I have to open it everytime or once it’s set it keeps those settings, etc…

Thanks[/QUOTE]Benqs tend to be better +R burners, some don’t burn -R well. I don’t think Rima does sales, watch Supermedia or Meritline for sales if you go that route. The 8x+R TY discs are def great with Benqs, if you don’t want the shiny surface you might have to buy inkjet printable though.
As far as Qsuite it saves Solidburn setting, WOPC is always on after a restart.

Thanks for the info. I’ll check the WOPC thing. Do you usually leave it on?

When using CloneDVD I have to put the disc in then load Qsuite then load ANYDVD/CloneDVD or CloneDVD won’t find the disc.

I recently had my PS3 go back to it’s load screen a couple times when playing the Verb PAP6’s. I don’t know if it’s my player or the burns, but never an issue until now.

When I restart the disc it’s fine.

Thanks for letting me know the discs are shiny, I know it sounds picky, but it bugs me that they get dirty so fast even when careful.

[QUOTE=aman74;2050517]What TY’s do you recommend? I have a Benq DW1640 with updated firmware. BSLB I think. I belive the Benq likes -R better, but I’ve been going with +R with booktyping for overall compatibilty, so unless it’s an issue I’m gonna stick with +R. What are good TY’s without spending too much? Also, I have some old TY CD’rs and they have a shiny surface that gets fingerprints easily so I’d like to avoid that.

I heard with the Verbs I should engage solidburn on Qsuite if they are PAP6? Not sure how much all this matters as you seem to like any Verb. I need to look more into Qsuite as I don’t even if I have to open it everytime or once it’s set it keeps those settings, etc…[/QUOTE]

1. Leave the settings on the BenQ at their defaults. Don’t mess with them. WOPC should be on, Solidburn should be off for known media and on for unknown media, booktyping should be DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DVD+R DL, and DVD+RW should be left as it is, DVD+RW. 99.9% of people have absolutely no reason to alter the 1640s settings. Only a miniscule few anally retentive media testers and obsessives ever need to change anything. The 1640 is fine as it is.

2. I use BSRB, which is the very latest 1640 firmware, and it works quite well for me. A lot of the “experts” on the forum think that BSLB is best, but then, they also tend to have problems burning all kinds of media that my drives don’t. They use BSLB and talk about the decline of Verbatim quality, I use BSRB and can burn any Verb you throw at me, well. What does that tell you? Also, BSRB has improvements in -R media writing, so the “wisdom” about the 1640 being not as good a -R burner also doesn’t apply if you’ve got the latest firmware. Upgrade to BSRB and then you can ignore all the “advice” that will only lead to confusion.

3. There is no difference in compatibility between booktyped DVD+R and DVD-R. They are the same. The only advantage of +R media is that overall, it tends to burn with lower PIE, which doesn’t make any real difference unless the numbers on the -R are too high. Everything else is the same.

4. There is really only one type of TY left on the market, and that is unbranded, which is mostly the shiny kind that, yes, leaves fingerprints. If you don’t want that then, as was mentioned, you can buy the kind with a white printable surface.

5. There really aren’t a lot of sales on TY media. Basically, there’s an average market rate, and you pay that, or buy something else. Every now and then you can catch a sale at SuperMediaStore, Meritline, or Shop4Tech on what is referred to as the “Value Line” of TY media, which is the same as other TY media, except that it comes tape-wrapped instead of in a cakebox, and may not have been handled as delicately as the Premium stuff. Rima only sells Premium cakeboxed TY, and that is all that I recommend or will buy myself. It’s up to you to decide if the Value line is good enough for you.