Song/Tab/Lyric sites face legal crackdown

I thought this was a joke at first however i was wrong

The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers’ Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

Guitar licks and song scores are widely available on the internet but are “completely illegal”, he told the BBC.

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can “throw in some jail time I think we’ll be a little more effective”.

Bitter battles

The move comes after several years of bitter legal battles against unauthorised services allowing users to download recordings for free.

Publishing companies have taken action against websites in the past, but this will be the first co-ordinated legal campaign by the MPA.

The MPA would target “very big sites that people would think are legitimate and very, very popular”, Mr Keiser said.

“The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income,” he said. “But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we’re taking a more proactive stance.”

“Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing,” he said.

(Really hmm… so thats why people buy instruments then! so they dont have to buy any more cd’s they can simply record themselves playing the track and listen to it for free!)

“Music publishers and songwriters will consider all tools under the law to stop this illegal behaviour.”

The campaign comes after lyric-finding software PearLyrics was forced off the internet by a leading music publishing company, Warner Chappell.

‘No alternative’

PearLyrics worked with Apple’s iTunes, searching the internet to find lyrics for songs in a user’s collection.

“I just don’t see why PearLyrics should infringe the copyright of Warner Chappell because all I’m doing is searching publicly-available websites,” PearLyrics developer Walter Ritter said.

"It would be different if they had an alternative service that also provided lyrics online and also integrated [with iTunes] like PearLyrics did.

“But they don’t offer anything like that at all.”

Warner Chappell were unavailable for comment.

Link

The fact is alot if not all of these so called “official” tablature books are often a load of rubbish, take this example, it may say the chord is a G ok fair enough however there are many ways to play the G chord on a guitar and many variations of the G chord all with a slightly different sound, now i play the guitar and have used online tablature websites for years and they often (depending on the popularity of the song) have quite a few different versions by different people, the reason for this is that that you can either listen to the song and guess or as some people do scour live footage and actually see how the artist is playing it, Hendrix for example used to use his thumb aswell as his fingers, some artists have also been known to change the way they play the song, the official books simply cannot replace tab sites, jailing people for posting tabs or running a tab site is well… you might aswell jail karaoke singers

i wouldn’t worry too much about it…they’ve been trying for the last 4 or 5 years to do something about it.The harry fox agency tried it and they failed…it’s like tryin to take pee out of a pool…never gonna happen…waste of time…besides…when ya learn a few of the tunes…then ya can learn em by ear easily…:wink:

OMG that is so funny…are they going to hunt down every.site that has ever used the lyrics to a song…and prosecute them…how about just a line in the song does that count …those poor starving recording artists…i’m sure posting tabs and lyrics on the net has really put a damper on their lifestyle…

My god these people are seriously stupid. That is why I only steal CD’s now, instead of buying them. They are going too far. I should steal cd’s from a store. Yeah.

I allways though lyrics and tabs would enhance users enjoyment of music, making them more likely to buy more.

I allways get lyrics, maybe its just me, but often I can’t understand what they are singing, then when you read the lyric and here the song again it sounds clear and you think “ah thats what they said”.

I agree 100% with some songs it’s impossible to hear the words clearly.

Well it has become a reality…

Went on taborama.com for some tabs, i got this message:

This tab or lyric has been removed over possible copyright infringement.

We are currently looking into methods to display this tab or lyric that abide by copyright laws.

Click here to learn more about the situation and voice your opinion.

In the meantime, you can purchase licensed, accurate tablature from Sheet Music Plus:

The music industry once again shoots itself in the foot. Lets ban all lyrics and tabs, and force music teachers everywhere to buy tab-books, which the school cant afford, resulting in scrapping the music education and greatly decimating the number of musicians in the world. Then finally there is noone left to do music, and in time the knowledge of how to play instruments falls into oblivion and all we’re left with are Britney Spears samplings. Great.

It seems that fair (free) use is the target, to them copying of any type is stealling (backing up and here in the UK also importing movies or games), but there is always the other case for it - if you can’t get something anywhere else you can increase the price that you sell at.

Sorry for any bad spelling etc.

you see most tabs site say "this is the “tabbers” interptertation of the song…
so it could be wrong…

This is wrong… most artists make stupid money from overpricing CDs, not to mention overpricing tab books…

Who buys lyrics?

wankers

are there such thing as lyric books??? maybe with notation for singers… but not just straight lyrics… i mean i bought a tab book of ebay once…

Hehehehheheheheehehhe

Im quite drunked

Boy its sleep time!!! Bon soir

weee so am I…, so En glish

Its seems that it is now at all out attack on anything music related that is availible for free. Did they not go after MIDI as well as Song/Tab/Lyric sites or are these sites not one in the same thing. Its seems that they are after control of every aspect of the music industry so they can keep the price of music inflated for maximum profits.

Heh warner chappell has apologised to the pear lyrics creator

well gee wizzzz now if I just head over to tthe “Offical” website of my Favorite band al la http://www.black-sabbath.com/ I should expect them to NOT have a Lyrics page so I can actually understand what the singer was singing in that brief moment, some of these music company’s have gone to far… we should hire some willing terrorist to recognize their good intentions. I have wrote songs myself also and I sure would want my fans to know what I was singing… what are they gonna try next , maybe ban talking about what the song means… or even talking at all… lets all take the 5th, mix it with orange juice and have a party. What about all those new hardcore bands… I can’t understand a letter they are screaming out… this world is going to the dogs, I think the Law should be “the Artist whom makes it has the right to promote in their own way” for example… I made a CD or even an individual song for that matter I should be able to sell or give as I wish, screw them middleman capitalistic money hungry b*s-turds that are the REAL theives in this world, If all the people whom liked even one of my songs enough to pay a dime for it I might not have to work as a warehouseman to keep paying my rent and focus on making music instead. say I paint… I pay say 10 bucks for the material, but it’s really a peice of ART and worth alot to someone, but the publisher will only give you 15 for it and 1 more for every “copy” thats sold, he sells it for 50… whos the artist here ?, I don’t know if I make a point here but I really believe these type of company’s should be banned before the world becomes a dull artless peice of CARP. I’m sure that a band member such as say Ozzy Osbourne only gets maybe a dime for every Black Sabbath CD being sold nowdays. so even if this is true and you buy a song off of say leagalsounds.com for .09 cents then he might make what… .001 cents ? if they even pay the artist, ok now a store bought CD is more like it say around $10.00 he might get like .10 cents the production company (the people who make the CD’s) are probably paid say $1.00 ea. ok maybe 2, the store gets it for say $3.00 including shipping and handling, so they are the real artist here with a $6 profit huh ? (minus those that are stolen of the shelves of course). I believe that the middle men can be cut out and the artist will get what they are worth if production company’s work with artist and sell there products through the Artist web sites. “the world is changing… it’s time to change.” <- I hearby copywrite that phrase !!!..lol

http://www.selfdistruction.com/

Point me to the “Donate” Button.

Until every current recording studio which claims affiliation with the RIAA goes out of business, I’ll save the money I would have spent on their audio cd’s, donate it to a cyber terrorist fund dedicated to graffitiing the RIAA & associated recording studio’s websites & then download the album from P2P.

Bah! What am I saying … I don’t listen to the crap the RIAA manages to crank out anyway. I haven’t bought (or downloaded) any music in the last 6 years :stuck_out_tongue:

Brainstorm moment:
Why doesn’t the corporation publishing the Oxford dictionary place a copyright on every word that is contained within the extended edition?
Then the RIAA, Governments & every business on earth will be forced to pay royalites.
The Oxford … stifling stupid RIAA lawyers & waffling politicians.
Short & Sweet. Anything else would cost to mcuh.