Song : Alone Yet Not Alone Oscar nomination yanked for best original song

vbimport

This is something I put together from several news sources with some addition by me.

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) had surprised everyone with its nomination for an Oscar of a song from an obscure Christian movie.
I noted the disgusting media reaction to the song, “Alone Yet Not Alone,” from the movie of the same name. One of the film’s producers was surprised, amazed, and overjoyed by the announcement.
Well, apparently the Academy board was also surprised and amazed by the nomination though apparently not overjoyed! They were probably also a bit shocked by the reaction of the liberal media elites and the gay-rights activists. So they did the only thing a group of hypocrits could do, they withdrew the nomination.

This was almost as great a shock as the nomination itself. In fact, it is so rare that The Los Angeles Times noted,

"For the first time in its history, the academy this week revoked an Oscar nomination on ethical grounds, by the composer of “Alone Yet Not Alone,”
which would have been one of the five contenders for original song at this year’s Oscars.
But the action has prompted criticism that the academy has cracked down on a small movie that can’t compete with big-budget Oscar campaigns mounted by studios. “Alone Yet Not Alone,” from a film of the same name about 18th century Colonists in the Ohio Valley, is a low-budget, faith-based movie that features an iconic quadriplegic pastor.

“If the academy is just hoping they can keep quiet and this story will go away, they need to find a different strategy,” said DanielDiermeier, a professor at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management and an expert in crisis management.
In an industry where studios pay companies millions of dollars to deliver Oscar votes (including lavish parties, free screenings, bags of gifts, and who really knows what else).
In revoking the nomination for “Alone Yet Not Alone,” the academy said that the song’s music writer, Bruce Broughton, a longtime academy member who serves on the music branch’s executive committee, improperly emailed members of the branch during the voting period. He said, came from his own Rolodex, not an academy
database.(He only asked them to listen. He didn’t ask them to vote for it.) The song was co-written by lyricist Dennis Spiegel and sung in the film by Agoura Hills pastor Joni Eareckson Tada.
Bruce Broughton"s email:

“I’m dropping you a line to boldly direct your attention to entry #57,” he wrote, alluding to the track’s number on a CD of contending music. “I’m sending this note only
because it is extremely unlikely that this small, independent, faith-based film will be seen by any music branch member; it’s the only way I can think of to have anyone be aware of the song.”

But Broughton has cried foul, saying he was simply trying to draw attention to his independent movie, as many in Hollywood do during awards season.

“They had previews and parties and huge promotion,” Broughton said of the studio campaigns for Oscar-nominated songs from other films, which include box-office hits such as Disney’s “Frozen” and Universal Pictures’ “Despicable Me 2.” "We had no budget. There’s no Oscar campaign. All there is is this really stupid email that went out to about 70 people saying, ‘Please look at my song.’
With the elimination of “Alone Yet Not Alone” from the best original song category, only four songs will compete for the Oscar: U2s“Ordinary Love,”
from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”;
Pharrell Williams’
“Happy,” from “Despicable Me 2″;
“Let It Go” from “Frozen”; and
“The Moon Song” from “Her.”
Keep in mind it was only nominated . It still had to beat the songs above to win an Oscar. Why pull the nomination ? The academy could have just voted for one of the other songs. The reason they pulled it was the academy wanted to make certain it couldn’t win.

As Gerald Molen, the Oscar-winning producer of “Schindler’s List” noted, in an industry where over-the-top, in-your-face promotion “seems to me to have been the normal practice for a long, long time… the Academy has suddenly discovered lobbying in the case of this one song?”

The academy’s board of governors concluded Tuesday night that Broughton’s actions violated the bylaw that campaigning must be conducted “in a fair and ethical
manner.”

Academy President Cheryl Boone Isaacs said in a statement, “Using one’s position as a former governor and current executive committee member to personally
promote one’s own Oscar submission creates the appearance of an unfair advantage.”

Where’s the ACLU sueing for discrimination of a quadriplegic ?
No where to be seen .

Joni Eareckson Tada the artist singing Alone Yet Not Alone

//youtu.be/BWVyVMbSzM4

This is a nice song,and if it was nominated,it should be back on the list…
liberal elite and gay right activists should make their statements on a different way…
They object against insularity by being narrow minded themselves…:confused:

I wonder if it had been this song in the list that the nomination was revoked for the media would have reported it differently.

U2s “Ordinary Love,” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”

//youtu.be/j59PdtpURWk

I bet the ACLU & other groups would have jumped all over the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences board (Oscar) for that. The media would have too.

Instead the Hollywood Reporter has this:

The Irish rock band is set to perform Oscar-nominated song “Ordinary Love” from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom during the live Academy Awards telecast March 2, Oscar producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron announced Wednesday.

I guess that isn’t a violation of

“in a fair and ethical manner.”

or

the appearance of an unfair advantage
to the academy’s board of governors .

Or does anyone else see the discrimination ?

Kind of shows a general discrimination about anything pro Christian by certain groups & organizations.
This song was mildly pro Christian & look at the reaction.

Again because the singer is a quadriplegic . Where are the handicapped groups threatening to sue over the Americans with Disabilities Act ?

What did gay people have to do with getting this nomination pulled? Man your views are really screwed up for a christian.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2719578] What did gay people have to do with getting this nomination pulled? [/QUOTE]

There was only one referrence to “gay-rights” in both posts but I’m going totry & respond to your question. I doubt that this was the primary reason the academy revoked the song.
The primary reason was it’s Christian connections.
I don’t know if there are homosexuals on the acadamy board or not.
The news site I got the quote from is hard to read . I had to highlight the text to read & then copy what I quoted.
These are links from other sites that have an answer.

NewNowNext, a division of Viacom’s LGBT channel LogoTV called it “a clunky song from an obscure Christian movie score” and blasted the movie for having an “anti-gay connection” because of endorsements from Rick Santorum and James Dobson, among others.

This referrences the same but has a petetion to sign.

"In fact, the film’s entire endorsements wall is a Who’s Who of Homophobic Haters" 

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2719578]Man your views are really screwed up for a christian. [/QUOTE]
Maybe you can elaborate on that . Which of my views ?

Maybe the one where it was OK for Christians to kill other Christians in WW2 ?
The German & Itallian soldiers were for the most part Christians.
So were the Allied soldiers that included the USA.
Or do you believe that it wasn’t necessary to stop Hitler?

Or on the other end. Where the USA forced American Indian children into “Indian scchools” forced them to become Christian. Didn’t allow them to speak their native language or practice their native religion.
These schoo;s existed until about 1970 .
Now children can’t pray or even posess a Bible in a public school.
Then call that “Seperation of church & state” .A phrase that is no where in the US Constituiton.

There’s some elaboration . So elaborate a bit.

“The Bible has noble poetry in it… and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies.”
(Mark Twain, American writer and humorist, 1835-1910)

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2719578] Man your views are really screwed up for a christian.[/QUOTE]

@ ~Jethro~ , I don’t see how a quote of Mark Twain explains what you posted above or elaborates on it.
If you like quotes heres a couple:
Ben Franklin

“A Bible and a newspaper in every house, a good school in every district–all studied and appreciated as they merit
–are the principal support of virtue, morality, and civil liberty.”

From the Texas Declaration of Independence :

When, long after the spirit of the constitution has departed, moderation is at length so far lost by those in power, that even the semblance of freedom is removed, and the forms themselves of the constitution discontinued, and so far from their petitions and remonstrances being regarded, the agents who bear them are thrown into dungeons, and mercenary armies sent forth to force a new government upon them at the point of the bayonet. When, in consequence of such acts of malfeasance and abdication on the part of the government, anarchy prevails, and civil society is dissolved into its original elements. In such a crisis, the first law of nature, the right of self-preservation, the inherent and inalienable rights of the people to appeal to first principles, and take their political affairs into their own hands in extreme cases, enjoins it as a right towards themselves, and a sacred obligation to their posterity, to abolish such government, and create another in its stead, calculated to rescue them from impending dangers, and to secure their future welfare and happiness.

I remember you have posted elsewhere that you don’t believe the Bible was divinely directed & was just written by men. Correct me if my memeory is incorrect on that.

To get back on topic . Do you disbelieve that the song was revoked by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences because of it’s Christian connection?

The Hollywood PC police are alive and well. They are more hypocritical than Al Gore (and that takes some effort to accomplish!). I have many of these self-absorbed a$$holes on my personal boycott list.

[QUOTE=UTR;2719598]The Hollywood PC police are alive and well. They are more hypocritical than Al Gore (and that takes some effort to accomplish!). I have many of these self-absorbed a$$holes on my personal boycott list.[/QUOTE]

You got the point.
Some emails that contained no compensation or other bribes were
an unfair advantage for “Alone Yet Not Alone” . That this was also unprecedented .

Then millions spent by studios of the movies with the other songs.
On parties,gift bags(worth thousands each) & who knows what else.
A performance on the show giving the awards by one of the song entry bands. Probably pro-Bono .
The academy board sees no unfair advantage in the latter example.
They must not they didn’t revoke any of the other songs.

The so called unfair advantage was just the excuse used by the hypocritical academy board to be PC.

Unfortunately PC police are found in many places these days.

The very people that cry the loudest for others to be tolerant are the ones that are least likely to personally provide it. All too often what these people see as tolerance is no more than bullying others to have their same point of view.

[QUOTE=UTR;2719605]The very people that cry the loudest for others to be tolerant are the ones that are least likely to personally provide it. All too often what these people see as tolerance is no more than bullying others to have their same point of view.[/QUOTE]

:clap::clap:Well said!!!:iagree:
Exactly my POV…

Well! The good lord and his followers did in fact conquer the Native Americans, so I don’t see any misinformation in the video…. the adeptness of the Indians might be slightly exaggerated, though.

I’m sure the removal of the song must be a mistake, unless there’s a Manitou of Oscars’.