Somewhat newbie LTR-40125S questions

vbimport

Hi all. I have 3 questions I would like to ask the group. I purchased a LTR-40125S last week to upgrade my old Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI burner. I've been using SCSI burners since 1998 and just joined the IDE world last week, alas I have 3 questions to ask:

1) When burning with an IDE drive, does it significantly slow down the computer? While burning a cd today with the LTR-40125S I tried to open up Internet Explorer and it took forever. This never happend with my SCSI burners, is this just a thing with IDE or do I have something configured wrong?

2) Which firmware shoud I be using. The drive was shipped with ZSOA. Should I upgrade to ZSOJ from the lite-on site? I've looked around some on this site, but I'm somewhat confused with all of the overclocking firmwares and such. So basically my question is what firmware should I use if I do NOT want to overclock. Also what firmware should I use if I would like to flash to the W model (but not 48x)?

3) How does one determine the average write speed in Nero? Is there a way to show graphs of how the cd was written?

Thanks for any insight into my questions.

Originally posted by mattrz28
[B]Hi all. I have 3 questions I would like to ask the group. I purchased a LTR-40125S last week to upgrade my old Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI burner. I’ve been using SCSI burners since 1998 and just joined the IDE world last week, alas I have 3 questions to ask:

1. When burning with an IDE drive, does it significantly slow down the computer? While burning a cd today with the LTR-40125S I tried to open up Internet Explorer and it took forever. This never happend with my SCSI burners, is this just a thing with IDE or do I have something configured wrong?

[/b]

In short, yes. Explorer polls all drives and if one has a disk in it it will take some time to start spinning, hence the wait.

It can also depend on how the burner is connected on the IDE chain.

[B]
2) Which firmware shoud I be using. The drive was shipped with ZSOA. Should I upgrade to ZSOJ from the lite-on site? I’ve looked around some on this site, but I’m somewhat confused with all of the overclocking firmwares and such. So basically my question is what firmware should I use if I do NOT want to overclock. Also what firmware should I use if I would like to flash to the W model (but not 48x)?

[/b]

ZS0A is Z-CLV and seems to be slightly more reliable from my testing than the VS series which are P-CAV. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” like my friend Lazza would say :bigsmile:

Of course, some other folks have had very good results with the VS02 firmware. Much faster, granted, but generally makes more errors. If you can get your hands on high speed media, it might work perfectly. Such media is not easily available yet.

[B]
3) How does one determine the average write speed in Nero? Is there a way to show graphs of how the cd was written?

Thanks for any insight into my questions. [/B]

The speed graph is shown in CD Speed, part of the Nero Toolkit. Take a blank media (it is not actually written) and select Test transfer Speed. It will show you how it writes on a graph with the firmware you have. Z-CLV starts at 20X with 4 plateaus, P-CAV at 18X or 22X dependng on the frirmware, rising gradually and topping either at 40X or 48X. You will find that some media cannot be written at the top speed, that is determined by SmartBurn (which you can turn off in Nero, BTW).

HTH.

ZS0J is the firmware for your 40125S. It will enable Mt. Rainier (a packet writing format) and it will also change your writer from Z-CLV to P-CAV. Both things are worth doing. I have your drive and mine too came with ZS0A. I have tried overclocking with VS01, VS02, and VS04 as well as going to “W” firmware but found ZS0J to be the best all around by my testing. There is not one advantage to be gained by going to any of the “W” firmwares. What you gain in speed by going to 48x isn’t worth what you lose in media compatability. I say your drive with ZS0A is “broke” (Z-CLV and Mt. Rainier disabled) and you can “fix it” with ZS0J. Also it happens to be officially downloadable for your drive from LiteOn and therefore won’t void your warranty. :cool:

If drives are not set up to UDMA mode, your system will probably be slow.

You might also try swapping your drives between the primary and secondary.

Thanks for your replies, that really helps. As for the way the IDE chains are configured I have the following setup. It HAS to be this way right now b/c the cables are not long enough, but I have some longer rounded cables on the way, so any suggestions would be welcome and I can change it whenever I get the cables.

IDE 1:

Master - Western Digital 60 gig HD (obsiously has to be the master since it is the boot drive)

Secondary - Western Digital 60 gig HD (this is where I store my music, and this drive is where most of the files I will burn to cds reside)

IDE 2:

Master - LTR 40125S

Secondary - Iomega Zip 100

I think it might be better to either have the burner as secondary on IDE 1, or put the other drive on the secondary chain with the burner. Let me know what you think. Oh and my cd-rom is a scsi 40x so no need to worry about on the fly copying.

I too have the newest (and best) LO. I have not upgraded any firmware nor do I see a need to. I can tell you however, that I burn at full speed all day long with no slow downs. If you are not running XP (both OS and CPU) run, not walk, to your local High-End PC store and pick a XP loaded box.

I am a tech so if you do indeed need help configuring your EIDE/ IDE drive E-mail me and I will go through some common setting with you.

For starters make sure that DMA is enabled on your drive (should be Ultra dma mode 2).

Second, I would have the drive as a master on a seperate channel. You must make sure that any other drives (unlike a zip drive) is also UDMA compatible if it is on the same ribon.

Hope that helps. I am going to look into that Firmware “OC” that you mentioned. I will post back if I find anything.

Good luck, Greg

BigAlz1@hotmail.com

I’m currently running W2K, I have 2 copies of XP (our University gives them to us for free) but I really don’t feel like reformatting and reinstalling all of the software, maybe later.

As for the DMA, I’m pretty sure the Zip drive on the chian is not
UDMA compatible, so I guess I will undo it, not like I use it very often anyway.

thanks for you help.

Sorry everyone, I posted with out even reading everyones replies. I see now though after reading his last reply exactly what the problem is. As stated in my earlier post. YOU CAN NOT HAVE A NON UDMA DRIVE BEHIND YOUR BURNER. Well any UDMA device for that matter. With a 40X CD-RW you can safly TRASH that zip drive or give it to your little sister.

That will fix you right up sir.

Good day.

Once again sorry, you got your post in while I was typing the last one. LOL

Well now you know…

BTW, 2000 is easly upgraded to XP with no interuption to your drive or software.

your zip drive can be a good reason to slow things down

Just wanted to let you know that it all works fine now. I removed the zip drive from the chain, and made sure that dma was enabled. Works great, thanks for everyone’s help.

An internal ide zipdrive is usually pio mode 1 (!). Per IDE channel all your devices are accessed in the same transfer mode of the slowest device on that IDE channel! In this case, your superfast ltr-40125s is now operating in one of the slowest mode possible…

:smiley: