Something odd? 5.0.9.8

I checked the performance tab to see if the new beta used the CPU differently than before. The quad core is the same old cycle up and down. I also tried it on my dual core lap top that I just expanded the memory and put Vista Ultimate (32 bit and the same version on both) on and it shot the CPU usage up to 100% and held it there? Fab is the first program installed on the lap top so not much to conflict or interfere with it. I wonder what is going on? :confused:
See the screen shots:

[QUOTE=90312;2133189]I checked the performance tab to see if the new beta used the CPU differently than before. The quad core is the same old cycle up and down. I also tried it on my dual core lap top that I just expanded the memory and put Vista Ultimate (32 bit and the same version on both) on and it shot the CPU usage up to 100% and held it there? Fab is the first program installed on the lap top so not much to conflict or interfere with it. I wonder what is going on? :confused:
See the screen shots:[/QUOTE]

something is going on there, i have a gadget on my sidebar that shows each core of my 6600 quad core (vista ultimate 32) and dvdfab never uses so much of the cpu as you show, i do not have the beta installed yet, but always a cpu of 0-37% or so in any one core, your laptop, i dunno… strange, nothing is stuck i assume?

Hello SOLVEHART, haven’t spoken in a while. I don’t think anything is stuck, Vista didn’t work out for me on the lap top so I went back to XP. You got me thinking though so I tried it again with a different movie. Mobile option, PS3, default settings one pass all same as before, and it shot up to 100% on both cores. Still pretty low fps but overall the speed compares to the competition pretty well. This screenshot is from XP:

I’m not sure if you are worried about the bouncing CPU usage or the 100% usage. If one or more of your cores are at 100% when encoding then you are encoding at the most efficient level for the CPU speed you have. Whether it is one core or more at 100% depends on whether the encoder can use multiple threads.

If the encoder used doesn’t make good use of sub-threads then you will see erratic use of one or more cores (total usage bounces around). If the CPU(s) are choked for memory or are faster then the IO (bus, memory speed, CPU cache, HDD read/write, etc) then all threads will bounce as they are starved for information to process.

It looks like DVDFab Mobile uses more than one encoder under the covers so different profiles could have different CPU usage on the same machine and may handle different types of CPU(s) better or worse.

The DVDFab memory allocation settings and Windows memory management settings also have an impact.

I’m not really worried about it at all, just a bit curious about how two different computers, with all other things being exactly the same, could yield so different CPU utilization.

[QUOTE=90312;2134358]Hello SOLVEHART, haven’t spoken in a while. I don’t think anything is stuck, Vista didn’t work out for me on the lap top so I went back to XP. You got me thinking though so I tried it again with a different movie. Mobile option, PS3, default settings one pass all same as before, and it shot up to 100% on both cores. Still pretty low fps but overall the speed compares to the competition pretty well. This screenshot is from XP:[/QUOTE]
when i use moviemaker in vista, all my cores hover around 100% until encoding is complete, but i never see this with dvd fab…:cool:

When I use Fab on my quad core machine I don’t see it either. I use other software for my PSP and PS3 files and it will keep all four processors around 100%. Fab used to do it, and I keep trying each new beta because I still believe Ting will get this whipped sooner or later!

[QUOTE=90312;2135748]When I use Fab on my quad core machine I don’t see it either. I use other software for my PSP and PS3 files and it will keep all four processors around 100%. Fab used to do it, and I keep trying each new beta because I still believe Ting will get this whipped sooner or later![/QUOTE]Same with my E6600 and hoping Ting will make use of both of them in the future :cool: and yes i have tried all the settings available now. Even with both XP Pro 32 bit and Vi$ta Ultimate 64 bit.