Someone has a dual layer burner with media

Nic form DVDInfoPro has posted that he has a Lite-on dual layer burner with limited media for testing. He also says it has a different chip set then the 812, casting more doubt on rdgrimes claims the 812 with be dual layer upgradeable.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=879099#879099

If you’re going to repeatedly make identical postings in every forum in the world, at least show enough creativity to change the wording. We have no specific policy here against cross-posting in multiple web forums, but I think you’re pushing the limits of tolerance. You’re also making an ass of yourself, which is also not against the rules.

Well if you make claims that the 812 is dual upgradeable then I think you ought to also post what you base it on - that should be a forum rule. To my knowledge you haven’t.

You ought to be happy there using a different chipset, maybe they’ll have a real winner. I’d like to be able to recommend a Lite-on. I have a Liteon CD-rw.

Well it takes one to know one! :bow:

Here’s what I do know:

1. Whether or not they have idencial chips does not necessarily affect whether you can flash one to the other.

2. You don’t appear to have any of these drives in your possession, and seem to have some personal stake in seeing that only the Benq drive can be flashed to DL. (which is still also open to debate)

3. NicW may have some supposedly DL rated drive in his posession, but he has not offered any evidence as to what model it is. I know of two possible models it could be, only one of which will be “compatable” with an 812.

4. Since DL burning strategy specs have not even yet been established, NO drive is currently burning DL in spec, and will not be for at least a couple months.

5. An 812 CAN be flashed to an 832, (DL), but whether it actually works or not remains to be seen, since nobody knows how they’re supposed to work in the first place. And media is not available for the most part.

6. You need to check your facts before mouthing off, and you need to stop making the same posts at every forum on the planet.

Originally posted by Vanderlow
casting more doubt on rdgrimes claims the 812 with be dual layer upgradeable.

Don’t doubt rdgrimes on that one…

Well lets just clear the air, You keep saying the 812 will be flashable - are you getting this info from Lite-on? If you’re not getting it from Lite-on what are you basing this “812 will be DL upgradeable” claim on? I just want to know and other people in the other forum ask you the same question - what are you basing this on and you have yet to answer.

If I email Lite-on asking them if the 812 is flashable to DL in the future will I get a yes?

Originally posted by Vanderlow
[B]Well lets just clear the air, You keep saying the 812 will be flashable - are you getting this info from Lite-on? If you’re not getting it from Lite-on what are you basing this “812 will be DL upgradeable” claim on? I just want to know.

If I email Lite-on asking them if the 812 is flashable to DL in the future will I get a yes? [/B]

It’s really none of your business either way, you are free to believe it or not. If you ask LiteOn, they will tell you it is not supported, and nothing else.

If you choose to believe that we would make these statements without having first-hand information on the subject, then perhaps you should frequent a different forum where you have more confidence in it’s members. We have our own reasons for stating or not stating the source of our information, and those reasons don’t including getting Vanderflow’s approval. Who, unlike us, has no firsthand information on the subject.

Well I don’t think you should be making claims unless you can give some sense to others what you are basing it on, if you can’t then in my opinion don’t post it, but there were other people in another forum that asked you what you are basing it on and you didn’t respond and it just creates a bunch of confusion.

BTW I called Lite-on and they said no way the 812 will be flashable and the guy put me on hold and came back 5 minutes later and said he doesn’t see the 832 in any of his upcoming literature. But hey what do support know - really sometimes we know more then they do - I’m not be sarcastic either.

Look maybe you know something, but as I’ll state again, if you make a claim to other people that something is upgradeable (and you said that “there’s no question it is”) and they ask you how you know this, I think you are obligated to respond back with some kind of idea on what your basing this on.

I can only guess from in between the lines you have some inside source at Lite-on and maybe it will be an unofficial firmware upgrade.

And BTW who is “we” are you talking for several people here? Who else stand by this claim the 812 will for certain “no question” be upgradeable to DL?

it just creates a bunch of confusion.

I only see one person having problems with confusion.

Thread closed, this isn’t going anywhere