Some videos won't play on media drive

I don’t know if this is the right category for this, but I have been converting ripped DVD’s to MPEG2 files with AVS video encoder and most of them work.

Lately several movies I encoded show up as unrecognized on my TV media drive, but they play fine on computers.

Most of these are newer high quality animated films. I don’t know if the resolution is too high, or if it has something to do with how I ripped them. I started unchecking the preserve menus button when I’m ripping them to the computer, maybe that prevents it from recognizing them?

“ripped DVDs” are already in mpeg2 format.

Yes, but I convert them from ISO or from DVD files to one mpeg2 file. Most of the time it works fine, but some of the movies aren’t recognized by the media drive after I convert them.

The tool I use for removing mpeg2 from .vob files is Vob2Mpg. It doesn’t affect quality of the video in any way, though you will lose menus.

Vob2Mpg is free to use. The current version has two modes, IFO mode and Vobset mode. Vobset mode is the older style, and has always worked for me, and is much faster. IFO mode allows you to pick and choose chapters/titles/streams you wish to include in the mpeg file.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOB2MPG

I need help. I know how to convert the movies to mpeg files, but my media drive won’t play pixar movies ripped from DVD. Is there something different about newer movies files than older ones?

What are you using to rip the movies? Many of the newer movies have advanced protection schemes that are beyond the capabilities of most dvd ripping programs. I advise ripping with AnyDVD or DVDFab.

There is a free section within DVDFab called DVDFab HD Decrypter, which will decrypt and rip movies even after the trial for the main part of DVDFab expires.

The ripping isn’t the problem. They play fine on pc’s or dvd players, it’s just my TV media player that won’t play them. It seems to be European so maybe that has something to do with it.

The big difference between European and US movies is that they use different standards in encoding. The US standard is NTSC, and the Europeans use PAL.

Most NTSC dvds you’ll see are 720 x 480, 29.97fps, with AC3, LPCM or DTS audio.
PAL would be 720 x 576, 25fps, with AC3, LPCM, MP2 or DTS audio.

I wouldn’t think this is the problem though, since the vast majority of PAL standard equipment can play NTSC video. The other way round does cause problems…ie trying to play PAL video on most NTSC equipment.

What media player do you have?