Some Serious Windows Vista x64 Home Premium Issues

vbimport

Hi, I’m having lots of problems with Windows Vista. It all started when I got brave enough to install Windows 7 Beta (X64). The Windows 7 installation CD copied all of my old Vista stuff into the C:\Windows.old directory (looking back, I wish I had just made a new partition to install it on, as that would have most likely prevented me from having any serious problems in the first place). Now, as soon as the grace period (or whatever you call it) for Windows 7 Beta Expired, I just deleted all of the Windows 7 stuff, and tried to restore Vista (this wasn’t too hard, because I am duel-booting with XP). I managed to get Vista to boot, but a number of previously installed programs refused to function. Some I could not even uninstall. I have managed to get most of these problems fixed, thanks to the Windows Install Clean Up. However, one thing I could not fix was the Disk Defragmenter. Every time it runs, it eats up 1/2 of my cpu, while my hard drive led light remains off (for the most part). Eventually, my computer freezes up completely, forcing me to resort to a hard-shutdown. Attempting to kill the process from the Windows Task Manager does not seem to work, either. In order to cope with this, I installed UltraDefrag, which I got from SourceForge. However, the default Windows Desk Defrag utility still seems to run on its own, which causes a ton of problems for me. I went into the Defrag utility’s settings, and turned off auto defrag. However, that did not stop the tool, so I found an entry in the Windows Task Scheduler, and disabled that. And now, my hard drive is still being forcefully “defragged” as I speak. IDK why.

Also, this is not the only thing that causes my computer to freeze. Sometimes it just freezes on its own, I have yet to figure out why.

I ran a sfc /scannow on my computer, and it said something about not being able to fix some files. Here is a log of the scan: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E7VQH415. Since there were three files created, I placed them all into a zip file.

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have a restore point you can roll back to? You can try this recovery CD, http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/. You can probably disable the defrag in Windows services. I’m not a Vista user but maybe someone experienced with it will post other options.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the first thing I tried was a system restore. It said that I did not have any restore points, which I immediately knew was bogus, because I there is basically NO WAY I would disable system restore. So, I re-enabled it, and the next time I restarted my system, it was disabled again. However, I will try the neosmart CD. I already have a copy in my possession, as a precation, since the only recover HP provides is a stupid “restore your system to factory settings” CD that wipes everything.

[QUOTE=TSJnachos117;2556174]Sorry, I forgot to mention that the first thing I tried was a system restore. It said that I did not have any restore points, which I immediately knew was bogus, because I there is basically NO WAY I would disable system restore. So, I re-enabled it, and the next time I restarted my system, it was disabled again. However, I will try the neosmart CD. I already have a copy in my possession, as a precation, since the only recover HP provides is a stupid “restore your system to factory settings” CD that wipes everything.[/QUOTE]

If you are having all this trouble and you are talking about Vista Home Premium then I suggest you do the system to factory recovery, the biggest down fall of the home version of vista and win 7 is that your account even as administrator is limited so you may not have enough privilege or permission to fix your issue so a system recovery is the fastest and easiest way.

Tis only my .02 cents :smiley:

[B]SJ[/B]

As for the native disc defragmenter it sux, so I don’t know why you’d bother using it.

my issue with the native defragger in XP/Vista is that you tell it to defrag, it says “defragging not necissary on this volume” you tell it to do it anyway and after that it’s like trying to get a stubborn six year old to eat his Broccoli/peas/whatever

I use “Smart Defrag” when I want a defrag done quickly
and Defraggler when I want it done thoroughly.

AD

I have Vista & I never use its MS defragger.
I use Defraggler as Allan does.
I also hace a couple of others that I use.
Auslogics Disk Defrag
MyDefrag. I only use this one with the Consolidate free space setting.
This is what it does:
Move files and directories to the beginning of the disk(s). This can be useful on
very full disks, to make room for manouvering big files. The script will
defragment all fragmented files and will fill all the gaps. It does not do any
optimization, such as sorting the files into zones.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2556178]If you are having all this trouble and you are talking about Vista Home Premium then I suggest you do the system to factory recovery, the biggest down fall of the home version of vista and win 7 is that your account even as administrator is limited so you may not have enough privilege or permission to fix your issue so a system recovery is the fastest and easiest way.

Tis only my .02 cents :smiley:

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]
With what you did TSJnachos117 I think SJ’s advice is good.
There are things you can do to Vista home Premiun that gives a lot more
"privilege or permission " . These can cause other problem though. I just finished correcting one of those where I had also given full permissions to some junctions.
In the future an investment in Acronis True Image or Ghost would be a good one.

Thanks for the reply, guys, but I’m not at all willing to wipe my hard drive, because I have other two operating systems on it (XP Home, and Windows 7 X64 BETA). However, the defrag issue has been resolved. I don’t know how, I didn’t even do anything with this operating system, except get brave enough to try and us it again. So far, not system freezes, and no defrag problems.

Also, as I have said, I am using UltraDefrag for all my defrag needs. After installing it onto Vista, I realized something: I like this program more than the native defrag software, so I installed it onto my other OS’s. I really like the console version (even though I suck at command lines), since I can program it into the windows task scheduler. And, it has an “optimize” function, which moves all of the files to the beginning of the volume. However, I may take a look at these other defraggers, though, since I have little to loose.

Okay, those of you who have recommended that I use defraggler, thanks for telling me about it! Defraggler is an awesome program (I;m not sure if I like it better than ultradefrag or not, they both seem pretty evenly matched)!:clap:

BUT… Now I’m having a whole new set of issues. First off, I have two programs from Neosmart that refuse to work: iReboot, and EasyBCD. IDK why they stopped working. I tried re-installing the .net framework, but that didn’t help.

Second off, I can’t seem to get Alcohol 52% to work anymore. I tried to reinstall it, but it gave me the following error: “Internal setup error. Contact support”. WTF? I tried updating the SPTD drivers, but that didn’t help. So, I removed the program and tried Daemon Tools. Now the installer is stuck on the “Updating virtual devices” step.

Also, I’ve discovered that I [B]CAN[/B] use system restore as long as the restore points are no more than 24 hours old.

What do I do!!! :doh:

I also have three different OS setups on my computer,

However I have them on seperate physical drives
and my “Boot drive” (Whichever one I have installed)
in a pull out drive drawer.

there is ZERO danger of damaging another OS install on my computer because whichever ones I’m NOT running is on a shelf UNDER my computer.

This also facilitates keeping “cloned” backups of the OS installation.

AD

Wait a minute… after rebooting my computer, it looks like Daemon Tools [B]is[/B] willing to work, after all.
PS: AllenDeGroot, I only have one hard drive, and no money (which means I cannot afford another).

Try real hard to “find a way” because if you have everything on ONE drive you can so easily lose it all when (not if) that drive fails… and then you’ll be in a real tight spot…

And trust me it WILL fail, they all do sooner or later.

Just don’t be like my neighbor who was shocked when I told him that a shiny new 320gb drive for his notebook was only about $45 delievered to his porch… someone else had told him a new 160gb drive
was $100…

HDDs are a bunch cheaper than they used to be…

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2583180]Just don’t be like my neighbor who was shocked when I told him that a shiny new 320gb drive for his notebook was only about $45 delievered to his porch… someone else had told him a new 160gb drive
was $100…

HDDs are a bunch cheaper than they used to be…[/QUOTE]

Agreed, just did this. Well worth the $50. And a strong second on Acronis True Image, it saved my big time about a month back. External back ups can really come in handy in case of a catastrophy.

Acronic true image will copy XP or vista installations tolerably well, but of all the programs I’ve seen nothing does a better job of cloning a win7 installation than Clonezilla…

In point of fact so far as I’ve personally seen Acronis will only copy a win7 installation if the Win7 is an “upgrade” installation “overlayed” onto what was ooriginally a vista install

a clean win7 install creates a 100mb system reserved space partition than will not copy correctly and thereby create a proper bootable clone.

Vsta upgraded to win7 does not have this 100mb partition

BTW, clonezilla is FREE, Acronis isn’t.

AD

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2584532]Acronic true image will copy XP or vista installations tolerably well, but of all the programs I’ve seen nothing does a better job of cloning a win7 installation than Clonezilla…

In point of fact so far as I’ve personally seen Acronis will only copy a win7 installation if the Win7 is an “upgrade” installation “overlayed” onto what was ooriginally a vista install

a clean win7 install creates a 100mb system reserved space partition than will not copy correctly and thereby create a proper bootable clone.

Vsta upgraded to win7 does not have this 100mb partition

BTW, clonezilla is FREE, Acronis isn’t.

AD[/QUOTE]

I have used TI 2010 to clone several laptop drives that have the 100 meg partition without problems. As long as you clone the complete drive, all partitions it should work. The 100 meg partition can be removed or not created in the first place if it were a problem. For a clean install just format the drive from within an existing windows vista/7 install or use diskpart on the windows 7 install DVD. See instructions on using diskpart on Tweakhound’s website. Removing the partition after the OS install is possible but not a simple process so its best to leave it be.

Okay, I’ve just recently realized something: I have the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows, which has a few partition-cloning Programs. I just used the one that’s on the desktop (DriveImage XML) to clone the XP partition (or so I thought), and the Seven partition (hopefully the 100mb won’t be too much of an issue, as I’ve been too busy reinstalling my os + drivers to read about that). Unfortunately, I got the XP partition and the Vista partition mixed, so I no longer have XP :frowning: I am attempting to recover it with PC Inspector File Recovery, which, so far, has recovered 5,000 files and counting). Hopefully, I will be able to restore enough of my programs/settings so that I don’t have to do a full reinstall, although, if I have to do a “repair” I won’t be too disappointed. Thank you Microsoft for making it easy to fix XP!

I’ll keep you all updated as best I can.

Aww man. PC Inspector File Recovery didn’t do squat. Oh, well. Ive alread reinstalled XP. Let’s just see if Windows Seven is willing to work.

Yes… windows 7 works. All of my OS’s are working perfectly , and have up-to-date drivers. Thanks, everyone, for helping me with my serious Windows Vista x64 Home Premium Issues!

PS: In order to avoid “exceeding” my McAfee security licenses (I seriously doubt McAfee knows about my re-formatting), I have just installed the free Comodo Internet Security software, and discovered that it is awesome! Not that his has anything o do with anything.