Some question reagrding plextor W4012A Please

HI guys u need some info

1, I have got some cd recordable that are meant to be 24X yet when i go in nero to use them it allows me to use 40X speed is that normal - where does powerRec step in. I burn cd with nero and it tell me burning at 40X - is that a real value or will the speed be varying.

Also when i want to record an audio cd i still get 40X speed in nero shouldn’t that be limited to 24X

2, Is it posible to burn 90 minutes cd??

thanks in advance for you help

Nero reports the speed you selected and not the actual speed. Here’s a trick to make Nero show the actual write speed. Normally your Plextor 40X drive is indeed limited to 24X audio recording unless you’re using the external USB 2.0 model. Your Plextor drive can overburn to about 94 minutes.

thanks a lot for your help.

yet i have read in previuos forums that cd writer eg liteon limit you selection speed in nero according to the type of media present - so why does this not apply for plextor?

The application should report the maximum speed the recorder can run at. The recorder will determine the maximum speed IT will run at based on media quality (PoweRec). Some “40/48X rated” media may only top out at 24X or 32X if it is poor quality.

The 40X will DAE at 24X. I was told that faster speeds cause quality to fall.

I do not know what is going on , i have not see DAE over 17X with the 40X12 , no matter what software it was used .
Even the Plextor tools with the LAME enabled , it does not do DAE over 17X .

My drive its bright new made in China , the data speed is fine as it does 40X , with the Nero tweaked for showing the right speed .
I have not burn yet music CD , does this 24X limit have to do , with the On the fly recordings ?? does the audio images burn faster ??

Update !!

I just burn my first audio CD , i got some Mp3 songs, like 75 minutes music .
The burner started from 16X and very soon it got to 24X and stayed at that speed for the 3/4 of the recording .

I checked the CD for errors with the Plextor tools , and i got 0 Errors with the Plextor as reader .
My old 24x Hitachi reported some errors at the 74 minute , but it was one tiny scratch at the outer edge of the CD .
So actually there in not any real errors . :bigsmile:

I guess that my results is good ,and my Plextor’s health too , soon i will try to test this CD in many different CD players to find out if there is any recognition problems with it . :cool:

DAE is only used if reading from an audio disc (.cda files) to a hard drive or another CD. MP3 or a disc image is data and will burn up to 40X

Originally posted by bob11879
The 40X will DAE at 24X. I was told that faster speeds cause quality to fall.
DAE stands for Digital Audio Extraction and has [b]nothing[/b] to with audio recording. They are two different things. The Plextor 40X can do DAE up to 42X with a full 80 minute disc. Audio [b]recording[/b] will be limited to 24X.

Originally posted by ken481
yet i have read in previuos forums that cd writer eg liteon limit you selection speed in nero according to the type of media present - so why does this not apply for plextor?
LiteOn and Plextor use different strategies. The Plextor drive will lower/increase the speed during recording. The LiteOn will already limit the speed before recording. So that’s why you can select the highest speed for the Plextor. You should look at the write time to determine the actual write speed that was used or use the trick I mentioned…

So far I have see with my own eyes the 40X as data speed ,and the 24X as audio recording speed , but for the DAE I have not see higher speed than 17X , I will try to DAE one full CD and I will report back .

I did the DAE experiment , there is no way to see more than 11x with the Plextor tools software …
I do like to know the name of the software , that had show 40X DAE … ?? !!

I get DAE speeds around 40x while extracting with audiocatalyst (i know nothing like EAC but i get decent not to mention quick extraction :wink: )

Try it out olyboy :slight_smile: