Some PHILIPR04 BD-R media lose data after >1 year

If you have any important data burned on PHILIPR04 media, backup them as soon as possible.
About one fifth of my PHILIPR04 BD-Rs (TDK & MediaRange Inkjet Printables) is now completely unreadable and some cannot be even recognized by any of my BD-R burners.
All affected BD-Rs were made by MBIL in 2009-2010 and burned about 1,5 year ago.

thanks for the warning will have to check some of my old philipr04 discs.

It´s no secret, that was the essence of nearly every test of BR blank discs in the last years where PHILIP R04 :Z were involved.

Buy cheap, buy twice.:rolleyes:

I swear that MID is a catch all lots of companies use…

[QUOTE=pepst;2704437]If you have any important data burned on PHILIPR04 media, backup them as soon as possible.
About one fifth of my PHILIPR04 BD-Rs (TDK & MediaRange Inkjet Printables) is now completely unreadable and some cannot be even recognized by any of my BD-R burners.
All affected BD-Rs were made by MBIL in 2009-2010 and burned about 1,5 year ago.[/QUOTE]

what speed did you burn at?

I got out some old discs, quality scanned 'em, and did a transfer rate test on them. They are Optical Quantum / PHILIPR04 BD-R discs burned several years ago. The transfer rate tests were smooth with no slow downs and the quality scans were okay (not great, but they never were).

There are two types of PHILIPR04.

Some have a smooth, well sealed rim and very high LDC and BIS average rates across the whole scan spectre.

Others have a rougher looking sealing and lower LDC and BIS rates, which sometimes rise sharply to the end of the scan.

I can´t tell which are the longer lasting ones.:confused:

Does someone have before/after quality scans?

It would be interesting to see how to scans are affected by this degradation.

[QUOTE=Mastus;2704655]Does someone have before/after quality scans?

It would be interesting to see how to scans are affected by this degradation.[/QUOTE]Well, I think so far only Pepst could possibly have them as the PHILIPR04 I have don’t seem to be suffering a similar fate. Admittedly I haven’t scanned every burn I’ve made and I wasn’t scanning Blu-Rays at the very beginning when I was first burning BD-Rs.

On the other hand, the Memorex (RITEKBR2) I have from the same vintage (Purchased Jan-Feb 2011) do seem to be degrading. TRTs are not smooth with speed drops and there are fairly significant peaks in the quality scans.

[QUOTE=use2598;2704593]what speed did you burn at?[/QUOTE]
Mostly at 4x speed.

[QUOTE=katraine;2704609]There are two types of PHILIPR04.

Some have a smooth, well sealed rim and very high LDC and BIS average rates across the whole scan spectre.

Others have a rougher looking sealing and lower LDC and BIS rates, which sometimes rise sharply to the end of the scan.

I can´t tell which are the longer lasting ones.:confused:[/QUOTE]
All affected discs have a “smooth” rim.

[QUOTE=Mastus;2704655]Does someone have before/after quality scans?

It would be interesting to see how to scans are affected by this degradation.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, none of the discs cannot be recognised - I have tried 3 different burners and 3 standalone BD players.

Here are a few scans and TRT’s of 2.5 year old Optical Quantum PHILIPR04 BD-Rs.

4x burn (likely in BDR-206)

8x burn (likely in BDR-206) ~2.5 years old:

Hi pepst, I wonder if you have any of PHILIPR04 discs left and in what condition they are. I just got ~35pcs of discs with that MID code and I wonder if I shall risk burning on those at all.

I will check during the weekend and will let you know.

1 Like