Some old reviews not loading properly?

vbimport

#1

I was digging through the archives trying to find some information about an older DVDRW drive reviewed at CDF, and when I clicked the link from the search result (using Google’s search results links), all I got was…

These are a couple of the affected links/reviews:
http://www.myce.com/review/LaCie-d2-DVDplusmnRW-DL-external-drive-with-Firewire-57/DVD-Writing-continued-6/ (LaCie d2/NEC ND2510A review)
http://www.myce.com/review/Optiarc-AD-7173A-DVD-Writer-Preview-149/ (Optiarc AD-7173A Preview).

I’ve no idea the last time I was able to view reviews of that age…maybe 2 to 5 months have passed since I last tried. Searching the site using the regular Google homepage shows that the pages had at least in the past been indexed with the correct content, and viewing a cached result with a timestamp of Jun 4, 2015 21:19:24 GMT indeed shows the expected content.

Using Chrome’s “View Source” tool shows…basically that same thing as what’s seen in the screenshots.

This is in Chrome 44 Beta (Win8.1). It also happens in IE 11 (Win8.1), and Chrome 43 (Android 5.1.1, Android 5.0.1), so I’m left to wonder…is it something on my end, or is the server not responding with the correct content? Or is something offline and I’m just not receiving a proper error page?

(also, at the time of writing this – 14:50 Central Daylight Time (GMT-5) on June 15 – I did have a hiccup where the attachment manager window took a few seconds to actually load after Chrome told me it was unable to establish a connection, but I doubt it is related. just figured I’d make a note of it.)


#2

These reviews worked fine on Firefox, but IE also gave me some issues. Did some checks and found hints that pages were transferred as being Unicode, while the content was sent as UTF-8. Checked the reviews in CMS and found lines like the following:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">  <ME TA http - equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode"> <ME TA content="MSHTML 6.00.2800.1400" name=GENERATOR>

Here in particular <ME TA http - equiv=Content-Type content=“text/html; charset=unicode”> seemed to be causing issues, but I removed this whole text throughout the document. (Added some blanks to bypass censoring)