Some Newbie question about my plextor .. HELP please :)

vbimport

I want to BURN DIVX Movies :

What speed should I use ? I have 32x recordable media. I tried at 40x and at 32x with NERO. Both produced the same quality. With some little sound pickles in the 40x version.

Question: It doesn't seem that plextor calculates the speed required because it keeps displaying the same speed I chose. If my plextor calibration speed was working, wouldn't the speed displayed be different from the speed shown ?

I want to burn MP3's :

What speed should I choose ?

I want to burn audio CD's:

Some people told me only to burn at 24x for that type of CD's.

About the burning options:

There is an option in Nero called Disc at once/96... Will that enable me to burn at higher speeds and STILL have good quality ?

What about the Burn Proof. I tried burning a divx movie and defragmenting my hard disk with that option ticked and the cd turned out fine. Only some really little sound glitches from time to time.

Any help here fellas ?

What speed should I use ? I have 32x recordable media. I tried at 40x and at 32x with NERO. Both produced the same quality. With some little sound pickles in the 40x version.

Well, if you have problems, burn slower, otherwise, don’t.

I want to burn MP3’s :

I want to burn audio CD’s:

Some people told me only to burn at 24x for that type of CD’s.

At very slow speeds you get some errors, at very high speeds, you do as well.

16x-24x seems like a good compromise.

There is an option in Nero called Disc at once/96… Will that enable me to burn at higher speeds and STILL have good quality ?

No.

What about the Burn Proof. I tried burning a divx movie and defragmenting my hard disk with that option ticked and the cd turned out fine. Only some really little sound glitches from time to time.

Burnproof shouldn’t hurt, however, it’s probably not advisable to defragment your drive while burning a streaming movie with burnproof on.

It doesn’t matter that much aslong if you use qualified material for the job m8

Originally posted by Anonymo
[B]I want to BURN DIVX Movies :

Question: It doesn’t seem that plextor calculates the speed required because it keeps displaying the same speed I chose. If my plextor calibration speed was working, wouldn’t the speed displayed be different from the speed shown ?

I want to burn MP3’s :

I want to burn audio CD’s:

Some people told me only to burn at 24x for that type of CD’s.

About the burning options:

There is an option in Nero called Disc at once/96… Will that enable me to burn at higher speeds and STILL have good quality ?

Any help here fellas ? [/B]

DivX:Any Speed

MP3:Any Speed

AUDIO:2x-8x

the Disc at once/96 option there is nothing to do with the burning speed.

thanks for your answers… What about the speed nero displays and the actual one being executed ?

thanks for your answers… What about the speed nero displays and the actual one being executed ?
Nope it doesn’t. You can figure out the writing speed by the time it takes to burn the cd. CloneCD and Blindwrite both exhibit the writing speed realtime.

Yes indeed. Check these images for example. The first one is from an actual 40x write, the second from a 4x write. Both are reported by Nero as 40x:

3:21

15:10

Ok. is there any program that can tell me what my media is really made of ?

I mean what speed can we write on it. Despite the publicity of the manufacturer of the cd-r media. I want to know how it is really safe to write on it at how much speed ?

And usually your recommendations are :

HIGHEST speed for DATA CD’s like (mp3 and Divx) ?

And Lowest speeds for Audio CD’s ?

Ok. is there any program that can tell me what my media is really made of ?
I mean what speed can we write on it. Despite the publicity of the manufacturer of the cd-r media. I want to know how it is really safe to write on it at how much speed ?

Yes, Nero CD Speed

[b]And usually your recommendations are :

HIGHEST speed for DATA CD’s like (mp3 and Divx) ?

And Lowest speeds for Audio CD’s ? [/B]
You can burn data/audio at max speed if you like. With audio, if max speed gives you problems, try lowering the speed till you ain’t having any

Personally I would use the certified speed of the disc. E.g. when a disc is certified for 16x, burn it at 16x. Some discs can of course be burned at a faster speed (especially quality media) but in my opinion it’s not worth the risk (16x and 40x for instance isn’t really a huge difference in write time)…

Check out this link, if you want Nero to display what your current actual write speed is:

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4862

Also, when you burn at 40X with your Plextor, are you doin it on the fly?? Cuz I could only get up to 32X on the fly.

That was indeed a great tip. By coincidence I read the same thread (before reading your link) and also posted it here.

yup great tip, worked with my nero. how do they find these things out :confused: :confused:

Yup, what a coincidence, small world I guess LOL!!

Originally posted by bigsyd
yup great tip, worked with my nero. how do they find these things out :confused: :confused:
If you are experienced enough and are just willing to take some risks you can just fiddle with your registry. This can of course also screw up your system completely :wink: