Some Newbie Quality Questions

vbimport

I have had some backed up discs through and have a few queries:

Why do some discs have random different shades on the bottom of the disc? i did a quality test and the graph showed perfect quality… it also plays fine, will this be a quality problem with the disc in the future ?

When i play some discs on my player, some take ages to load, and makes quite alot of noise, whilst others load instantly … all are on the same media, and get the same good results on the Nero quality graph.

Thanks for any help.

Sorry, just noticed there is a newbie section :doh:

Which media do you use?

it has been on media that a friend has sent me, it is on Ritek G05 burnt at 4x/8x

The different shades are normally due to the drive shifting to a different speed. Which disc’s gave you playback problems ?? the ones burnt at x8 or x4.

i am not having problems with the shades on the disc, i was just curious if these will cause any problems in the future. I have had a look around the forums and it seems nobody actually has problems when playing discs with different shades, it justs looks worse than it is.

the media i am mostly talking about is 4x (finishes the burn at 8x).

anybody know anything about this:

When i play some discs on my player, some take ages to load, and makes alot of noise, whilst others load instantly … all are on the same media, and get the same good results on the Nero quality graph.

Stay away from RITEK G05. It’s one of the worst disc types money can buy, it can degrade really fast and cause lots of trouble.
Try some Taiyo Yuden, Maxell (Made in Japan only) or Verbatim.

Ritek G05 is quite interesting when it comes to potential longevity issues :stuck_out_tongue: as it is [I][B]so[/B][/I] variable in this respect. I have a small sample of them burned in the last year where some have degraded beyond the point of playability within weeks while others are still fine.

Safer to avoid them if you don’t wish for such possible headaches. :slight_smile:

thanks fo your input guys, i was about to buy a bunch of them aswell.

i have now updated to these TYG02:

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=164

good choice ?

Much better than RITEK G05. :slight_smile:
But the compatibility of TYG02 is questionable.
I would recommend YUDEN000 T02 8x DVD+R instead. :wink:

I have about twenty SONY DVD+R 8X Taiyo Yuden type that my player has
trouble loading in. It spins the discs up several types,makes some weird noises
but once the disc is up and running it is fine.On PC,it’s okay so I figured
the lead-in area is not exactly compatible with my admittedly old DVDplayer.
All of these discs were sent to me by a guy,I don’t know what kind of burner
he used.

Same here, the T02 is only about £1 for 100 at SVP.

[QUOTE=>:|sh4d0w|:<]Same here, the T02 is only about £1 for 100 at SVP.[/QUOTE]What the …? :eek:

[QUOTE=>:|sh4d0w|:<]Same here, the T02 is only about £1 for 100 at SVP.[/QUOTE]:disagree: I Wish!

100pc Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R Printable (YUDEN000 T02) at SVP is £33.89.

[QUOTE=>:|sh4d0w|:<]Same here, the T02 is only about £1 for 100 at SVP.[/QUOTE]

LOL wow at that price I gotta get me some of those :wink: :bigsmile:

C’mon guys , he meant £1 [B]more[/B]

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=171

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=164

:bigsmile:

No! It’s £0.91! :stuck_out_tongue:

I know I’m annoying :bigsmile:

I know, but you have to admit it was funny :bigsmile:

Did you author the discs yourself? Sometimes if you obtained these through some other means, previews and studio logos before the menu could have been ripped out, but then blank redirects were left in, rather than changing the disc authoring to skip them altogether, with a program like PgcEdit. So your DVD player sees the disc, tries to start playing a studio logo, sees a “skip to next video” marker, looks for the next video, tries to start playing a preview, sees that it’s missing and theres just a command to skip to the next video… If a disc has a few previews before it that were ripped out, this can take a lot of seeking by your DVD player!