Some mp3's work, others do not

Hello everyone,
I’ve spent some time (quite a few hours) using the “Search” function of the forum to try to find an answer to my problem. I did find some good advice, and have tried a good deal of it already. But, still no success. So here’s the deal;
I use Nero (version 7, I believe) to burn mp3 CD-R. I organize the mp3 files into folders based on artist and album. After they are burned, I play them on my car stereo, which is an Insignia NS-C5111. Most often things work well and I experience no problems. However, I have noticed that some of the mp3 files I put onto a disk will not play at all. The files are there, I can verify that by opening them and playing them on my computer. But when it comes time to play them on the car stereo, they just skip through until the stereo finds a file that it wants to play. It always will skip through an entire album. It will either play an album, or it won’t. An example is I’ll put 8 mp3 albums on a CD-R…6 of them will play perfectly, but 2 of them will not play at all. I’ve looked over my user manual for the Insignia NS-C5111 a number of times and this is all the information I’ve gathered from that;
It can play WMA and/or MP3 files. It will not play some songs because of DRM schemes. (I tried using Tunebite to get around that, but unless I used it incorrectly, it didn’t have any affect).

So, the questions become: 1.) Is it faulty media? 2.) Are there some types of mp3 that a typical car stereo will not support? 3.) I’ve read about some discs being more favorable than others for this type of thing, should I try those? 4.) I tried burning at different speeds (going all the way down to 8x) and that didn’t have any effect, is this something to be concerned about? 5.) Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, what did you do to overcome it?

Thanks in advance for your time.

What app/tool did you use to create your MP3s?..Try burning them with burrrn or BurnAware…It could be a media/player issue…

I’ve seen this problem before, SOMe mp3 files aren’t REALLY mp3 files
but a DRM protected file that pretends to be an mp3.

I’ve got a DVD+R disc with around 1200 files on it that came in a used player I bought.

The files are listed as mp3s but they won’t play off the disc in my computer.
I can feely copy the files off the disc but they still won’t play.
Storing them (temporarily) on my HDD I can look at the and see the files
size but if I attempt to play ANY of the files they ALL sorta "disappear"
and there is a file name and the file size shrinks to 60some bytes.

There is essentially nothing on that disc that I don’t already "own"
on a commercially pressed disc, so I regard “cracking” the disc to extract
playable files as an intellectual/technical challenge.
funny thing is the disc will actually play in stand alone DVD player in my
home entertainment system, just not on my computer.

what I’m thinking here is that you are experiencing similar difficulties
because if you bought some of those files from a music service
it’s possible they are protected the same way these files I have are.

And it’s one of the reasons I prefer buying my music pressed onto
a plastic disc rather than as a data stream from a commercial site.

BTW, site glitch… I made essentially the same post into this topic about 4hours
ago and my post disappeared.

AD

[QUOTE=t0nee1;2215275]What app/tool did you use to create your MP3s?..Try burning them with burrrn or BurnAware…It could be a media/player issue…[/QUOTE]

I’ll try it. Someone recommended using Mr. QuestionMan to find out about the encoder that was used. Here’s some info on that from one of these “problem” disks;

Encoder Info: MPEG 1 Layer III FhG

Any ideas?

I don’t encode with the Fraunhofer mp3 codec…Are those WMP created MP3s?..I convert/encode with LAME using foobar2k…I normally rip with EAC, or CDEX to wav or flac,and convert with foobar… However, I’m looking into and thinking of purchasing dBpowerAmp…

I checked a normal functioning album, and it was also encoded as MPEG 1 Layer III FhG…so it doesn’t seem like the encoding is to blame

Could be the car player is having problems with file names, maybe they are too long or there are characters in the name it doesn’t. What about the encode of the mp3, are they VBR or CBR, what was the actual bitrate used.

Just a couple of suggestions there.

[QUOTE=Jedi Master Yoda;2215763]Could be the car player is having problems with file names, maybe they are too long or there are characters in the name it doesn’t. What about the encode of the mp3, are they VBR or CBR, what was the actual bitrate used.

Just a couple of suggestions there.[/QUOTE]

I’m definitely going to look into the bitrate. I did notice that one of the albums that work is CBR. However, I think I have well-functioning VBR and improperly functioning VBR (meaning that the albums that don’t work are VBR, but I have plenty of albums that do work that are also VBR). I’m going to verify this though.