Some files corrupt after burning cd

I use to use adaptec directcd but switched to nero. I start by making a data cd to store my mp3s. This works great. Created a data cd for some programs and when I tried to install them on another computer I get a error. Switched back to adaptec, same thing. I ftped the files to work and created the cds there. They work. I’m really lost. Is there a program to do a write diagnostics on a cd writer?

thanks,
blues

Use the verify option in Nero. And, you can also use Scandisc in CDSpeed, with the file check option enabled.
Sounds like you may be burning too fast for your media.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Use the verify option in Nero. And, you can also use Scandisc in CDSpeed, with the file check option enabled.
Sounds like you may be burning too fast for your media.

Nero CD Speed scandisk option is better than Nero verify after burn option.

Nero’s verify option gives false alarms many times.

I am saying this from personal experience.

Nero CD Speed scandisk option is better than Nero verify after burn option.

They are 2 different tests. Verify compares the burned files to the originals, while File Checker just reads the file to see if it is readable. For daily use, i wouldn’t use either, but for identifying a problem, they can both be usefull.

Originally posted by rdgrimes

They are 2 different tests. Verify compares the burned files to the originals, while File Checker just reads the file to see if it is readable. For daily use, i wouldn’t use either, but for identifying a problem, they can both be usefull.

Sorry for misspelling.

I was mentioning the file test option in scandisk menu of nero cd speed.

It verifies every bit of the files & lets you know if there is any access errors.

CD passed in this test is also sometimes shown by nero’s verify after burn option as having errors.

Originally posted by bigdaddyblues
[B]I use to use adaptec directcd but switched to nero. I start by making a data cd to store my mp3s. This works great. Created a data cd for some programs and when I tried to install them on another computer I get a error. Switched back to adaptec, same thing. I ftped the files to work and created the cds there. They work. I’m really lost. Is there a program to do a write diagnostics on a cd writer?

thanks,
blues [/B]

Well the diagnostic part has been answered, now let’s look at the reading problem part. Are you forgetting to close the disk after the burn? While this may not be the problem with many computers anymore, which come equipped with burners, it may be on older ones where the CD-ROM can’t read non-closed CD-Rs, whereas using DirectCD you need to install UDF reader to access.

Try closing the disk or burning disk at once (not RAW-96) when making compilations. RAW-96 is known to cause some problems.

Another thing, you still may have old Easy CD Creator files in there (and references in you registry) and the wrong ASAPI layer as well. Older versions of EZCD and Nero had serious compatibility issues with each other.

Just something to look at, good luck.