Some facts about Nic Wilson and DVDInfo-Pro

vbimport

#1

Since Nic Wilson has decided to go around the forums making outlandish claims about CDFreaks in general, and me in particular, I think it’s time to share some facts about who Nic Wilson is. I have been given permission from a certain LiteOn employee (who is the focus of these things) to share these facts. I have removed his name to prevent further damage to him at LiteOn.

Nic Wilson has a long history of lying and distorting facts to further his financial interests. He will use any means necessary to get code for his software, and frequently uses it without permission from drive makers or programmers.

In this particular instance, he attempted to get a LiteOn employee to illegally share code for several of the well-known internal LiteOn programs, and when he was denied, he reported the same LiteOn employee to LiteOn management for releasing the very tools that NicW was trying to steal.

Here are a couple of emails/PM that NicW sent to this LiteOn employee:

n icw
Author of DVDINFOPro

Registered: Jul 2003
Posts: 21
Assistance with DVDINFOPRO
Hi,

I am the author of DVDInfoPro see www.dvdinfopro.com

I would like to add parity testing into my programs error checker but as yet I have not figured out how to do it?

Are you willing to provide me with assistance with this?

I can give whatever credit you feel is necessary in the ‘credits’ section of the about box and or the documentation files.

Many users and dealers are requesting I add this feature and I have searched and searched and come up with very little so far.

(FYI dvdinfopro is written in visual c++ )

PS. Is the new + only drive planned that way or is minus missing through licensing issue? Users are also requesting that I contact liteon about adding in Bitsetting that my program can do for Ricoh and HP drives.

Secondly will Liteon support the new read_dvd_struct 11h Read ADIP command that I finally convinced Ricoh to add in so my program will be able to read media codes on blank +R media.

cheers
nicw
Brisbane Australia

And in response to a request from the LiteOn employee to help test a program:

Nic Wilson
> Bigpond To: *******@liteonit.com
> <nicw@bigpond. cc:
> net.au> Subject: Re: Bug in Kprobe and LtnFlash
>
> 2003/09/10
> 08:56 AM
>
> I am happy to test the results for you.
>
> I would like to discuss sometime how to add PI / PO error checking into
my
> dvdinfopro program and if its possible. I get tons of requests for it.
>
> cheers
> NicW

Here is the resonse from the LiteOn employee, regarding sharing of programming for error checking.:

From: <******@liteonit.com>
To: “Nic Wilson Bigpond” <nicw@bigpond.net.au>
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: Bug in Kprobe and LtnFlash

>
> Dear NicW,
> I am very happy to work and share my experience with you , but I
really have
> my problem ! PI/PO error checking is confidential for LiteON . I cannot
public our
> verdor unique commands .
> I hope you can forgive me !
> Rgds,
> ******

Very soon after this, the LiteOn employee posted an internal LiteOn program on his personal FTP server. This program was never meant for public distribution, but was posted there only for his friends and associates. Because it was not a very secure FTP site, a CDFreaks member was able to get the program and posted it on the forums where many people were able to get it before it could be removed. The program was one that enabled upgrading a 401 drive to a 411 drive. I repeat that the program was never “released” to the public by this LiteOn employee, it was simply an error.
What follows is an email sent to LiteOn management by Nic Wilson:

Nic Wilson Bigpond <nicw@bigpond.net.au>
2003/10/08 08:36 AM

To: ‘name removed’@liteonit.com
cc: ‘name removed’@liteonit.com
Subject: CONFIDENTIAL

Alex,

I have discovered something that confuses and concerns me. Please treat this
email as CONFIDENTIAL.

I know you went to a lot of trouble to protect the new 411s firmware, and
you informed me that it was not possible to upgrade these old drives to the
new FS02 firmware due to the protection and I understood the reasons for
this and agreed.

I now find that Mr **** has released a new LtnFlash that does the upgrade
from 401s to 441s see here:

link removed

Are you aware of this?

Please do not mention I informed you as I want to keep my reputation intact,
but I thought you would like to know. The damage is already done though,
this file is circulating the internet.

regards
Nic Wilson

This is just one example of the sort of behind the scenes activity that Nic Wilson is well known for. In subsequant months, Nic Wilson was again and again found to be reporting the activities of various forums and members to LiteOn, virtually all of our activities here were reported to LiteOn. This resulted in many of the “hush-hush” and banned topics on the forums, and prevented a number of very usefull tools from being offered in the forums.

Nic Wilson and his friends are very fond of saying that information is free, yet he has done everything in his power to see that only he gets to decide what information is made available, and only through his own program. The reasons are obvious, Nic makes a lot of money from his software. He has publicly claimed that his program is downloaded 100,000 times per month. One does not need much imagination to see how much money he makes from the ads and “registration fees”.

This information is made public here with the consent of the source of the information. This is done purely for the purpose of informing CDFreaks members of some of the reasons for the public bickering that has gone on. The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of CDFreaks management.


#2

This information is true, and should probably have been shared sooner than now because I doubt that very many people still remember back to the time when Liteon’s first DVD Burners were introduced (Mid 2003). It was withheld out or respect for all of the people concerned.

Money is poor motivation in any situation. That’s probably why I find myself on a Linux box viewing this forum in Mozilla FireFox. I will probably continue to use DVDInfoPro whenever I need it because it is good software for its purpose and I’ll keep browsing CDFreaks because I am well informed and not influenced by some BS readme file.


#3

very good reading material

me myself i wasn’t to impressed with dvdinfopro, and i can admit i have unlocked the program myself

but due to my frequent formatting routines of my computer, if its not something handy and sitting on my hard drives, i won’t reload it

but again, thx for the reading material, adds flavor into my life to read this stuff


#4

For the record, this kind of behaviour is not new from Nicw. Every time he
feels vexated he tries to use dvdinfopro users as weapon against those who
dared disagree with him.

In august 2004 he already used this cheap method against www.dvdplusrw.org
after he got contradicted on their forum. Out of frustration he immediately
stopped distributing the adware dvdinfopro, then later restored it with
the same kind of warning about dvdplusrw.org.

The threads are not complete because Nicw deleted some of his posts afterwards,
but one can still get the general idea :

http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=8307;st=0
http://www.dvdplusrw.org/cgi/forum/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=7876;st=0


#5

I think that if you have a problem with some one, confront them. Don’t try to drag thier name through the mud on a public forum that 99.9% of us don’t know what the :a you’re talking about.

Nic Wilson has a long history of lying and distorting facts to further his financial interests. ( Isn’t that the way it is done nowdays, look at plextor, bought a new or used car from a salesman lately)

In this particular instance, he attempted to get a LiteOn employee to illegally share code for several of the well-known internal LiteOn programs, and when he was denied

( What is wrong asking for help)

I am the author of DVDInfoPro see www.dvdinfopro.com
I would like to add parity testing into my programs error checker but as yet I have not figured out how to do it?
Are you willing to provide me with assistance with this?

(I still see no problem)

Very soon after this, the LiteOn employee posted an internal LiteOn program on his personal FTP server. This program was never meant for public distribution, but was posted there only for his friends and associates.

(When you pass things around to JUST YOUR friends, usually some one winds up with the clap)

That’s my take on this and it really doesn’t need to be done HERE.


#6

I fully understand your point and this posted above is rather old. However NicW himself started to attack us by adding a document to his software accusing us from piracy, spyware and being unprofessional. Hence the introduction of rd.

Since Nic Wilson has decided to go around the forums making outlandish claims about CDFreaks in general, and me in particular, I think it’s time to share some facts about who Nic Wilson is. I have been given permission from a certain LiteOn employee (who is the focus of these things) to share these facts. I have removed his name to prevent further damage to him at LiteOn.

This all happened because we didn’t want to link to his website. Now we are explaining why we don’t want to promote his software. You will understand that we are not linking to details. as we don’t want to see this misinformation been spread.


#7

makes sence to me…i could see this comming the other day in the battle…like i said in that thread…rdgrimes is very helpful in these forums !


#8

In case of some people personal ambitions have no limits. And pity, selfish personal wars are waged. Loyalty is a trait that is close to intelligence and dignity. So, as I have never liked the software in question, I won’t use it from now on. It is a matter of principle.


#9

rdgrimes, thanks for the information.

i was curious for information on that affair for a while now (i was offline at the time).
your information confirms rumors i have heard.

i don’t think i’ll use DVDInfoPro. as a matter of principle.


#10

this one just wont go to sleep will it. Nic doesn’t seam to be a popular man. It’s not worth worrying about him. Let him continue to belittle himself by his actions and the world will judge.


#11

As a ex-USSR citizen I was thinking that only in USSR was it possible, but seems to be I’m wrong…
It’s sad to read/hear those things…
Can’t say nothing more, because will start the war between people.

To Administrators: Sorry for crossposting…


#12

hmmm… dont personally use DVDInfoPro myself, but from what i have read if i did start using it the NicW wouldnt be getting a donation.
he is clearly ignorant, and very arogant about how good his program is.
he also appears very self pittying from what he has written.
i also found a “warning” with the file from his website
download the waring (pdf) HERE

hmmm… i am well aware that CDFreaks uses adverts/popups etc. but how else do you expect it to run? i doubt DoMi or MP|3 make a profit from ads, i wouldnt be supprised if they didnt cover the costs.

also he accuses cdfreaks of piracy, i think the cdfreaks mods and admins work hard to stop people discussing piracy.

regards,

ben :slight_smile:


#13

All crossposters on this subject have been forgiven. To keep the discussion in one place, all other threads have been closed with a link to this, being the original, thread.

I will not enter into this discussion. However, I will be monitoring this thread from an administrative point of view.

I trust this thread will remain respectful, discussions will be based on arguments and everybody will base their opinions on facts. We will apply the rules of our forum fair and just. If you feel that things get out of hand, feel free to contact me. I’d prefer people contacting me rather than having people taking matters in their own hand.

Thanks for your understanding and feel free to express your opinions.


#14

Im not here very long to be honest, so I dont really know what all this is about.

What i will say is that most non profit making sites use popups/banner ads. How else are the owners meant to keep somethiong the size of this site running?? Bandwidth is expensive stuff afterall.

And as a note, I have found everybody on this site to be very helpful and patient. How anyone can say otherwise is beyond me!!


#15

I find the program useful, I made my “donation.” Not because the adware version bothered me but because I found it useful. As far as what has happened in the past, well that’s nice but really, who care’s. If you don’t like the program don’t use it but don’t crack it. There are some here, users and moderators, that have suggested it was easy to crack. I guess if one is O.K. with that, then more power to them. I have no beef with Nic or this site. Everyone has their opinion and priciples. The argument between this site and Nic will not influence my choice to support the program or participate on these forums.


#16

In the thread where I first saw this battle occur, there is no question in my mind that the fault began with rdgrimes. Now, this may not have been the original original thread, but it is the first one that I saw. And rdgrimes WAS advocating software piracy. NICW may be a low life and worse, I don’t know, that is not the point. The point is that rdgrimes advocated software piracy, and that is wrong. Period.


#17

Noticed a lot of fuss on this subject, so I decided to check both sided of the story. I know too little about all this to pass any judgement on either side, but I do have a question perhaps someone can shed some light on. It is related to the quoted statement below:

It is my understanding that rdgrimes’ statement was related to editing the registry. One party claims this to be legal, the other claims this to be piracy.

As far as I understand it, the Registry is part of Windows, a database in where information on hard- and software is stored. For most software you install (and agree to the EULA), you allow the program to make changes to this file. Including this in an EULA implies, to me anyways, that the Registry file is something you own and grant the software permission to.

If I then decide to, what I believe is my own, make changes in the Registry, would I then be breaking the EULA of the software I installed? Is the Registry mine to do with as I please, or do perhaps the individual Registry keys have copyright protection under the EULA of the software that included these Keys in the Registry?

Sorry for my ignorance on this, but this (legal) part of the discussion intrigues me (the technical stuff I couldn’t care less about :stuck_out_tongue: )

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this!

Any moderator may feel free to delete or split this post if it is too much offtopic


#18

this guy is such an asshole, He lied so many times to my cousine who isn’t very computer savvy. Nick told my cousine that bitsetting worked only on his program and that if he donated 100 dollars he would get the version that bitsetts -R discs. I manged to stop him in time.

Ben, thanks for the pdf, I needed something to burn


#19

Is the Registry mine to do with as I please, or do perhaps the individual Registry keys have copyright protection under the EULA of the software that included these Keys in the Registry?

An excellent question, and one that there is no real answer to. I seriously doubt this is covered in any actual “law”. Although the software makers would have you believe otherwise. If you uninstall a program, are you then forbidden from removing all of the registry crap it leaves behind?

The practical answer is that the registry is your own property, which is the spirit in which the alleged “piracy” has been committed. There’s certainly little chance that this form of “piracy” would ever be prosecuted. And, calling it “piracy” does not make it so, any more than calling pop-ups and advertising “spyware”.

DIP is the one that phones home every time you are online. That would seem to more closely fit a realistic deffinition of “spyware”.

NicW could very easily avoid all these issues by making his program open source and simply asking for donations. Any serious programmer that is truly interested in “representing quality in software engineering” does exactly that. And if the programming warrants it, people do contribute. Apparently Nic does not have that much faith in his work, he prefers to force users into paying.

But this is not about software, DIP has it’s place in the collection of utilities. This is about the person who has chosen to launch an attack against anyone who takes exception to his tactics.


#20

“Apparently Nic does not have that much faith in his work, he prefers to force users into paying.”

Who is forced? How are they forced? There is a freeware version…