Some do, some don't

Hello, I like to back up my games and programs, I have used Nero 5.5.5.1.8, EasyCD Creator 5, & CloneCD 3.3.4.1. Some seem to copy fine, will install, but then will not open game, I just got ClonyXL and I am still playing with it to learn how it works. I always thought it was the software not the burner that determined your burning successes and failures, is that not really true ? I have a Sony CRX160E 12X/8X/32X burner. I have burned a copy of Nascar4 and MS Flight Simulator 2000, but after they install, they ask for “correct” cd. What do I need to improve my batting average ?:rolleyes:

It is a combination of hardware and software…

If your hardware does not support certain software features you’re out of luck and have to resort to other ways to make backups work

So, If I was to replace my year old Sony burner, what would be a good one to get that may have a little more horsepower ?

I do not need a Rolls Royce, more of a “Jeep”, just a hard worker.

LiteOn 24sp or 32sp. Just check the LiteOn forum for more info.

:slight_smile:

Well, I am new, and pretty dumb, so I will stay in this forum for a while.

I get the idea that LiteOn and Plextor are the King’s of the Hill for cd-rw’s. So how does my year old Sony cdrw drive; CRX 160E rate ?? 12x8x32x is not the fastest but here is what is displayed in the CloneCD program:

The CD-Rom

Device Capabilities:
Note: This information is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. CloneCD does not use this information!
Manufacturer: LG
Product: CD-ROM CRD-8482B
Revision: 1.05
Can read CD-R Discs: Yes
Can read CD-RW Discs: Yes
Can read DVD Discs: No
Can read MultiSession Discs: Yes
Can read Digital Audio Discs: Yes
Digital Audio Data is accurate: Yes

Info on inserted Disc:
Number of sessions: 1
Size used on Disc: 75682 kBytes
Sectors: 32950
Time: 07:19:25 (Min:Sec:Fra)

Info on Session 1:
Size used in Session: 75682 kBytes
Number of Tracks: 1
Track 1: Data Mode 2, Size: 75682 kBytes

Info on CDWriter:
Manufacturer: SONY
Product: CD-RW CRX160E
Revision: 1.0g

Device Capabilities:
Note: This information is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. CloneCD does not use this information!
Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
Can write CD-RW Discs: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports writing of CD+G RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: No
Supports Buffer Underrun Protection: No

Info on inserted Disc:
Disc can be erased: No
Disc is empty: Yes
Free space on Disc: 826525 kBytes
Sectors: 359848
Time: 79:57:73 (Min:Sec:Fra)

Will my Sony burn “anything” but, just a tad slower, or do the LiteOn and Plextor brands have more tools ?

The Sony brand is reliable; it will do what it is designed & advertised to do & do it well. It will not 1:1 backup SafeDisc 2 protected CD-ROMs. It would make a great packet writer while your new Lite-On LTR-32123S did all the serious stuff :slight_smile:

Thanks for the quick reply, may have to wait 'till my wife thinks it is ok to buy a new burner, she does not share my enthusiasm for this kind of stuff. I will try to get that LiteOn as soon as I can ,Thanks a bunch,

You should tell your wife to shut her piehole and get back to cooking in the kitchen. You didn’t buy that stove in there for nothing, and now it’s your turn to buy a new burner. (Of course she’ll probably poison your food or something…)

At first that sounded like a grand idea BadASC, I could try that, and then after I came too, I may discover my favorite body part/parts are in the kitchen burner, which unlike cd-burners is much more user friendly, no restrictions, or burning protection, or passwords required,I shall fall back and re-group. :eek:

But thanks for the advice,

I feel like I am losing ground, My son just told me that he successfully burned a copy of Diablo II on his 'puter. Now, his 'puter is my old 'puter, I gave it to him when I got this Dell last March. He is using a 3 year old Quantex 266 p2, with a Mitsumi 4x burner and CloneCD… In short, he is kicking my a** when it comes to successfull copies.

Could this be the key ? On the CloneCD screen, mine said this:

Can write CD-R Discs: Yes
Can write CD-RW Discs: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-DAO Write Simulation: Yes
Supports writing of CD+G RAW-DAO: Yes
Compatible with CloneCD RAW-SAO: No
Supports Buffer Underrun Protection: No

this same screen on his 'puter is all; “yes”

Damn “new” computers !

Wow !!!

I did it !!!
Made a copy of Nascar 4
I set the CloneCD settings according some tips I got here, about yes to amplify weak sectors, and yes to Don’t repair subchannel data, and finally, click the Hide CD-R media @ the taskbar icon.

This is what did it, I used my Sony CRX160E CD-RW as both the reader and the writer, I even back-checked by trying the same CloneCD settings, and using my regular CD rom as the reader, that just ruined a cd.

So, now can I just get a “better” cd-rom, and leave the Sony CD-RW on board for a while ?