Solving problem of skipping

vbimport

As I have indicated in other threads I will share hereby my experience solving the skipping and freezing problem of backups.

Used hardware and software:
Toshiba SD-R5272 External, USB 2.0
Fuji and Verbatim DVD-R 8x, both Taiyo Yuden (TYG02).
AnyDVD 4.3.0.1 and CloneDVD2 2.5.4.3
Philips DVP720SA and later Pioneer DV-575A standalones (reading all type of media, i.e. +/-, good and bad).

Symptom:
DVD-R 8x media (TYG02) burnt with CloneDVD2 at “maximum” speed approximately from the middle, closer to the end of the backup skipping and freezing in Philips DVP720SA and in Pioneer DV-575A.

Finding solutions:

I. Stage:

1. Changing media to Fuji DVD+R 8x (RICOJPN02), burning with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “maximum”. Result: no skipping, no freezing in Philips DVP720SA standalone.
2. Checking DVD-R 8x (TYG02) written with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “maximum” in PC, PS2 and XBOX. Result: no skipping, no freezing.
3. Burning DVD-R 8x (TYG02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “8x”. Result: skipping, freezing in Philips DVP720SA standalone.
4. Burning DVD-R 8x (TYG02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “6x”. Result: no skipping, no freezing in Philips DVP720SA standalone.
5. Reacting to one of the posts, changing AnyDVD to Region+CSS Free, though it was obvious that AnyDVD has nothing to do with skipping, freezing of the final result. Burning the existing data on DVD-R 8x (TY02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “maximum” and later to “8x”. Result: skipping, freezing in Philips DVP720SA standalone.
6. Checking a Sony DVD-R 1-4x (Mitsubishi Chemicals), burnt with Matsushita UJ-811, CloneDVD2’s writing speed set to “maximum”. Result: skipping, freezing (???) in Philips DVP720SA standalone.

II. Stage:

1. Returning Philips DVP720SA and buying a Pioneer DV-575A that is considered and proven to be more reliable, stable and preferring -R media.
2. Burning DVD-R 8x (TYG02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “maximum”. Result: skipping, but not freezing. When skipping transfer rate in standalone dropping from 4.8 Mbps to 0.8 Mbps.
3. Burning DVD+R 8x (RICOHJPN02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “maximum”. Result: no skipping, no freezing.
4. Burning DVD-R 8x (TYG02) with CloneDVD2, writing speed set to “8x”. Result: no skipping, no freezing. Transfer rate in the standalone consistently 5.1 Mbps, rarely dropping to 4.8 Mbps.

Conclusion:

Though both standalones are capable of reading any type of media (checked), the main difference was that the laser calibration, tolerance and media handling of Pioneer DV-575A was/is much better. (Known issue, actually). So, capabilities of a standalone are very important, but not the only main issue.

CloneDVD2 set to burn at “maximum” speed, could burn Taiyo Yuden (that is capable of it) at a higher speed which caused reading problems for the standalones. It is not a fault of CloneDVD2 or Taiyo Yuden, just the opposite.
When set to “8x” the writing speed did not exceed the media’s certified speed of 8x, thus making possible for the standalone to read flawlessly the written data at the most critical part of the disc.

It was a tiresome, but useful experience. I have learnt a lesson: burn the media at the certified speed if you want to play it flawlessly in a standalone that is much more sensitive than a DVD drive in a PC or XBOX/PS2.

And finally: with this experience I do beleive that burning speed has an effect on the quality of written data.

I’ve never had that problem but i always select my desired speed instead of max. Wish Olli would put 16x choice in dropdown i only see 12x as the fastest with my 16x writers. Good thing to know what you have posted. Might help someone with same problem.

@rolling56:
CloneDVD v2.5.4.3 already can select 16X with writer

marlowe > Well i’ll be dang. It’s been there since 2.5.3.3 just looked. Never even noticed the change :o Thanks

Thanx for the feedback. That was my intention. :slight_smile:

Alex thyl
Thanks, that was a lot of work on your part, appreciate you sharing with us.

Thanx a lot. :slight_smile:
I hope it will help CDFreaks who face similar problems or those who can learn from the mistakes of others. :wink: