SOLVED ! Reviving a dead BTC 1004IM

Dear all out there,

first of all, I’m a newbie in this forum.

Second, I just killed my brandnew BTC 1004IM. I had a number of problems toasting DVD-RW (TDK and Verbatim brands with Nero v6.0.0.23) and decided that updating the drive from firmware v40 to v43 might help.

It was reported before in this forum that the BTC Windows flashing package did not always work like it should, so after hitting a brick wall there also, I tried MTKFLASH 1.80.1 after booting my box from a vanilla DOS diskette. Backup of the existing firmware worked like a charm, so I thought flashing was safe enough. MTKFLASH pretended to do its job, reported success and asked for a reboot.

What happened was that upon reboot the BTC drive had completely disappeared from the BIOS, and nothing I did made it come back. I tried reflashing to v40, tried the Dangerous Brothers’ rpc1 firmware (dual43.bin), tried the hot plugging method suggested by Marco in another thread, but alas, all to no avail.

Now I must admit that I’m at my wits end. Has anyone here some more ideas or is scrapping the drive the only thing left to do?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Regards, Martin

You can try what I said here

I hope it could help

@Raistlin[ITA]

I saw your post after I had written mine and tried your suggestion. Unfortunately, it didn’t work for me - at least not yet (perhaps it will still, up to now I’ve tried only two of the three available jumper positions).

@all

Part of my problem seems to be MTKFLASH. Before I posted, I had tried v1.80.1; afterward I had a go with v1.80 which appears to work better for me. When checking the flash by having MTKFLASH read what it had uploaded, for once I got at least a file which had the right size although it gives the impression that only one bank (bank 15, the last one) is carrying useable data. All the other banks are full of FFh bytes. Other than v1.80, v1.80.1 had returned only a 64K file even though I had specified the /m parameter <scratch-my-head>.

Does anyone here know if the MTKFLASH default start address of the OPC area (1F000h) area is right for the MXIC chip which is installed in my 1004IM? This may be a silly question as MTKFLASH has backed up the previous v40 firmware quite nicely but I’m grabbing at straws here. On the other hand, default bank size seems to be ok with 8000h bytes.

What is the OPC area, by the way? I hate abbreviations which don’t make sense to me. Is the start address of the OPC area also the start address of bank 0?

In any case, I’m not ready to give up yet. Perhaps it is possible to flash the individual banks separately. I’ll give it another try later today.

Regards, Martin

Hi,

I get the DOS Update tool (Thanx) have a clean DOS Disk and burn the DOS Firmware to CD because the DOS disk was full
and the DOSTool more than 1,44 MB.

I boot from dos change to my DVD burner with the Disc
and start the tool.

You know what now happens :frowning:

The tool asks for the ROM path (and I thought it load it into mem…)
and start Cleaning the FLASH ROM AND then try look
for the ROM on CD Hihi…from a clean ROM it cant load.

But no panic… I changed the CD to another drive and it start update… :slight_smile:

So all out there… be carefull :slight_smile:

best regards

Nighty

Oh after the Update 40 --> 43 it write my DVD+RW not only with
1* speed. I now see *2 and *4 speed in Nero.
(the DVD is marked 1-4 speed) BUT now if I write with *4
the disc remains empty.
(I do not klick only simulation in NERO 6.019)

Writing them with 2 (without erase the 4 written) work well and the disk is running. Hmmmnot exactly that what I wont but
better as writing only with *1

Good news: Fortunately, I’ve succeeded in bringing my drive back from the dead, thanks to info I found in this forum. Especially big thanks go out to Marco for his prompt private reply. (Hex-indexing the subfile names, indeed! What a perverted beast of an idea. Who’d’ve thunk it!)

Guys and gals, if you are using MTKFLASH be sure to specify that /m switch not only when reading from but also when writing to your chip! If you don’t, the program will every time erase your entire chip before it’ll start writing to any bank. All you’ll have left then is the data in the bank which was written to last, and I assure you that this is NOT exactly what you want. Makes for quite nasty surprises.

Regards, Martin