My first post here. But I thought it would be of help. I have an LG-4082B that worked perfectly for about a year, and then all of a sudden started giving me “Focus or tracking error” in Nero and wouldn’t burn anymore. I searched a lot on the internet and found no solution. So I opened up the drive and discovered the problem.
LG uses very cheap grease on the railings. After about a year, the cheap grease dries up and the lens mechanism can no longer slide properly… thus giving you tracking errors.
This is how you fix it. It worked for my 4082, so I suspect it would work for other LG brand drives as well (assuming they use the same type of railing grease on multiple models):
- Open your dvd drive tray
- Power off your computer and turn off the power supply
- Remove the dvd drive from your computer
- Remove the 4 screws on the button of the Dvd drive
- Remove the bottom metal plate from the dvd drive. This should expose a green circuit board.
- Pop out the front faceplate by sticking a screwdriver into the 2 plastic lock-latches on either side of the drive casing
- Slide the faceplate out, and now lift the entire drive out of it’s casing
- There are 3 locations you must grease: 1) There is a spiral shaped copper railings on the left hand side. 2 & 3) Then there are 2 chrome railings holding the lens mechanism that you must grease
Don’t use too much grease or it will drip off the railings, onto your circuit board and cause damage to the drive**
I used sewing machine oil and a Q-tip to grease the 3 railings. I put 1 drop of grease on, then I would slide the mechanism up and down to distribute the grease evenly. I was very careful in applying the grease and removed any excess with the Q-tip.
- Double check one more time to make sure there’s no excess grease that would drip off of the rails after you close this drive up.
Reverse the steps, close your dvd drive and reinstall the drive. It should solve your focus-or-tracking error problems.