'Solution for critical vulnerability in Intel chips could make PC up to 30% slower'

Originally published at: https://www.myce.com/news/solution-critical-vulnerability-intel-chips-make-pc-30-slower-83367/

A patch for a critical vulnerability in Intel processors possibly slows downs the operating system of the concerning macOS, Windows and Linux computers. The vulnerability is in both consumer and server chips from Intel that have been manufactured in the last 10 years.

I really hate this IME crap. Everything about IME seems so stupid, it’s only natural that there would be constant security vulnerabilities. IME is basically the ultimate trojan horse: a secretive chip that can be tricked into doing practically anything.

Also:

Intel has submitted patches to the Linux kernel, but the comments have been redacted to obfuscate what exactly the issue is.

If I were a kernel maintainer, I would think twice before accepting this patch. I would never accept any patch that I can’t understand, not in a million years. Of course, it was only the comments that were removed, not the actual code, so I guess it’s not all bad. Still, Intel’s insistence on keeping these security vulnerabilities secret will only make us more vulnerable in the long run.

Why am I not surprised??? Looks like iNtel has been asleep at the wheel thinking they didn’t have to worry since AMD was always second place and didn’t have to do their own work to make a better CPU. Glad I went to Rzyen now hopefully AMD learns from iNtel meltdown as they will have to fix all those CPU out in the wild now. I like to see what Red Tapes they will do to fix this.