Solid State Drives?

vbimport

Had a (hopefully) quick question regarding SSDs.

I built a new rig last year and am currently running Win7 from SATA WD Black drives. I do mostly photo/video editing with a little bit of gaming on the rig and am very happy with it’s speed as it is…but honestly it can always be faster.

Here is my question tho…

If i were to install a SSD for my OS & Prog Drive, would this help me out much as far as editing IF all of my supplemental content I was working with were STILL on my other Black SATA drives? Or would it bottleneck and not really offer much of a performance boost to be worth it?

I get the fact that whatever is on my SSD drive would fly much faster (ie program loading, gaming, etc) but I just wasn’t sure what the enhancement would be (if any) if I was still working from my SATAs.

Thanks for the help!

Yo uronmy49311-

Kinda depends on your mobo-

If your mobo supports SATA III - and you bought a SSD that worked with SATA III - then you would have a faster system - both in booting (all of mine boot Win7 in under 20 seconds) and in file opening and transfers - especially if you put your primary programs on the SSD with your OS (suggest getting a 120G
B + drive).

You have a couple options.

1- install OS and programs on the SSD
2- If you have a Z68 MB you can use the SSD as a caching drive, that will speed up everything on your PC, you could also set in photoshop to only use the SSD as the scratch drive.
3- If you don’t have a Z68 MB you could use the SSD as a scratch drive for photoshop to do its fast storage when you manipulate images.

sorry for the delay… i forgot i posted about this…

so, i would definitely get 120gb or higher.

could you explain the “Z68” you are talking about? i checked the gigabyte website and didnt see it mentioned. so im guessing i dont have it.

can I set the ssd as a scratch drive if photoshop itself is on there? i thought it only worked if it were on a different drive?

this is also from the gigabyte website
"Chipset:

6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATA2_0, SATA2_1, SATA2_2, SATA2_3, SATA2_4, SATA2_5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 

Marvell 9128 chip:

2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors (GSATA3_6, GSATA3_7) supporting up to 2 SATA 6Gb/s devices
Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1 
  • SATA3 RAID 0 4x and SATA3 2x performance are maximum theoretical values. Actual performance may vary by system configuration.
  • SATA3 SSDs are not recommended for use in RAID 0 mode on Marvell SE9128 ports."

so, that would mean, yes. it supports SATA3 right? just want to make sure.

do you guys recommend any drive in particular… i’ve heard mushkin is the way to go (or intel) but those are a little out of my range. I’ve read certain OCZs crash after a couple months. But ive also heard that the ocz vertex 3 are decent. and crucial m4 are good too right?

is the rule of thumb still $1/GB is a good price?

thanks again for the help!

Yes, you do have the speedier SATA for max throughput. The OCZ aren’t bad. You can save a few bucks, perhaps, by using their Agility line. I’ve got 2 Agility 3 (60GB & now a 120 GB) and haven’t had a problem. I just won an Intel Cherryville 520 from NotebookForums but don’t know yet which size. Can’t wait to give it a spin, so to speak. ‘Z68’ is a chipset used with Intel SandyBridge and IvyBridge processors (i3, i5 & i7).

Yo-

According to the Newegg customers - the Crucial M4 and the Plextor M3 are the two highest rated brands in the 128GB size.

(I have the Crucial M4 128GB in my HP notebook - and it is very fast/reliable with latest firmware upgrade)

The fastest SSDs I have bought are the Sandisc 240gb Extreme (294.00) Amazon, and the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240gb ( 273USD) at Newegg.

uronmy49311, so it sounds like you have an AMD CPU?. The SATA3 with the Marvell chipset can have some issues with some SSD drives. So definitely read the reviews for any issues, but they are fixing most of them, you would still want to stay away from any with old problems.

In your case you would want to do a fresh install of W7 on the SSD drive, you would keep your photos on your WD HDD’s, everything will be faster. If you wanted to, transfer your latest pic’s that your going to work on to you SSD first, then when your done working on them transfer them over to your HDD.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2628407]uronmy49311, so it sounds like you have an AMD CPU?. The SATA3 with the Marvell chipset can have some issues with some SSD drives. So definitely read the reviews for any issues, but they are fixing most of them, you would still want to stay away from any with old problems.

In your case you would want to do a fresh install of W7 on the SSD drive, you would keep your photos on your WD HDD’s, everything will be faster. If you wanted to, transfer your latest pic’s that your going to work on to you SSD first, then when your done working on them transfer them over to your HDD.[/QUOTE]

Im actually running an i7 cpu. the first gen version, but still an i7. so does that mean those issues you are talking about dont exist?

I would most definitely do a fresh install tho. yeah, i figured i could always transfer what i am working with (photos & videos and such) to the ssd temporarily to get that speed boost and i probably would too. i was just wondering what kind of bottleneck there would be (if any) if i DID still worked from my wd black hds to access the files too.

thanks again

so i know it’s been a minute since I replied to this thread but I FINALLY pulled the trigger on my SSD. I ended up with a Crucial M4 128GB based on price and reliability. But now I am having some issues with it.

At first I couldn’t even get the computer to flash it to upgrade the firmware. I had it installed as a secondary to my WD Black drive and tried to flash it with their win7 upgrader tool .The computer would recognize the drive, but the updater software kept saying the drive was invalid for updating. I got around that issue by unplugging all other drives, burning an ISO image boot disc with the updater software and then plugged the drive it into a sata2 port. Originally I had it in a Sata3 port.

Upon, further inspection tho, the original port it was in is actually listed as a Gsata3 port. From what I can gather from google, the Gsata3 port is just a rebranded Gigabyte Sata3 port. But, WHY wouldn’t my drive work on that port? I’m pretty sure I have the driver installed for it, otherwise how would windows even see the drive.

The whole reason I wanted an SSD was for speed and run it off of a sata3. Is Gsata3 different than a regular sata3? I’ve read they are AND aren’t as stable. And i’ve read they are AND aren’t as fast as each other. Any ideas? Seem to be conflicting reports depending on where I read from.

My current setup is listed in my signature with the exception of a couple of other older IDE drives I have installed as storage and a bluray and dvdrw running off of the other sata2 ports. If I have to run my new SSD from a sata2 port, i am going to need to lose something that is already plugged in AND run at inferior speed which I don’t want to do.

Any ideas?

As always, thanks for the help!

The Gigabyte SATA3 port (G-SATA) is just a rebranded Marvell SATA3 port.
The P55 chipset doesn’t support native SATA3, so i’m afraid you would be better off using the native SATA2 ports with that SSD.

The other option is to get an addon card using the ASMedia 106x SATA3 controller, as they are much better than the Marvell one on your board, but it still won’t give the speeds of native Intel SATA3 on chipsets such as the P67/Z68/Z77.

Also, that is probably the reason you couldn’t update the M4’s firmware when connected to the G-SATA ports.

So what’s the problem with gsata ports then? Why have them if they suck so bad? What kind of speed difference are we talking about between a sata2, sata3 Intel, gsata and the asmedia sata3? R the asmediamore sstable? Thanks

Try updating the drive in the SATA2 port (If you haven’t already), then update the Marvell drivers. Try the drive again in the SATA3 port. Remember to initialize the drive in windows and you can also do a secure wipe (or whatever its called) to zero out the drive with Crucial software (if it has it).

BTW what’s a good program to test my speeds on this thing? I’d like to know if there is still a big difference between this sad and my current we black. Thanks

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2636921]So what’s the problem with gsata ports then? Why have them if they suck so bad? What kind of speed difference are we talking about between a sata2, sata3 Intel, gsata and the asmedia sata3? R the asmediamore sstable? Thanks[/QUOTE]

any thoughts on this? thanks

Because they have to run from a PCIe2 x1 lane on the motherboard, that is perhaps already shared with other components, then the available bandwidth is limited. From tests I have run, down 150MB/s from native Intel SATA 3.

Another problem is the G-SATA has very poor small file performance and latency is also high.

A good free benchmark application is for SSDs is AS SSD.
http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?download_id=9

but a SSD on a sata2 is STILL going to blow away a WD Black 7200prm drive on a sata2 port right?

So, WOULD the SSD on a gsata3 port run better than a regular sata2 port then? or am i better off sticking with the sata2?

thanks again for the help!

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2637485]but a SSD on a sata2 is STILL going to blow away a WD Black 7200prm drive on a sata2 port right?

So, WOULD the SSD on a gsata3 port run better than a regular sata2 port then? or am i better off sticking with the sata2?

thanks again for the help![/QUOTE]

Dont try to compare an SSD with a mechanical drive, the difference is huge, and also i would suggest that you connect the SSD on the intel port, the marvel one has very poor performance.

I did a benchmark on 3 drives

Crucial M4 128gb SSD
WD 1tb Blue drive
two Samsung 500gb SATA2 drives in RAID 0

Notice a little difference

[QUOTE=mrloren;2637522]I did a benchmark on 3 drives

Crucial M4 128gb SSD
WD 1tb Blue drive
two Samsung 500gb SATA2 drives in RAID 0

Notice a little difference[/QUOTE]

OK. Thanks for the comparison. Thats great. My last question tho is were all those drives running on sata2 ports? That would be it. Thanks for all the help.