Solid State Disks are power guzzlers

vbimport

I just posted the article Solid State Disks are power guzzlers.

Besides performance advantages of SSDs, one thing manufacturers like to make claims about is their supposedly superior power consumption over traditional mobile hard disks. Well, just like how…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14817-Solid-State-Disks-are-power-guzzlers.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14817-Solid-State-Disks-are-power-guzzlers.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

If you understand the technology, you’ll realise that the testing methodolody used was wrong and the SSD’s under test actually did the test many more times in the same period, hence they used more power… Have a clue about what you write and report.

(edited reaction, removed non constructive comments)

if you understand the technology, you’ll realise that the testing methodolody used was wrong and the ssd’s under test actually did the test many more times in the same period, hence they used more power… have a clue about what you write and report.
^ if you go on like that you’ll have a heart attack before you even turn fifteen.

@Anthony…strange reaction… If you read the reader comments after the test at the Tom’s Hardware site, most of them seem to agree with Knower. The SSD uses more power per second while operating, but takes less time to perform any given task. The HDD uses less power persecond but takes more time to perform the same task. Running a test that executes an operation REPEATEDLY until the battery is dead and does not consider how much work was done by each drive, is not particularly useful.

The whole point in putting them into newer notebooks is because they do use less power and generate less heat. The test was flawed.

My research on the net has led me to think that there is no advantage in powerr savings by switching to a SSD. At least this is the findings I read about when it comes to mini notebooks like the MSI Wind. Couple to that, the very high price right now and the reduced capacity and I cannot justify SSD at this point. One test swapped out an 80 gig HDD with a SSD of a smaller capacity- I think 20 gig…the notebook did not demonstrate any longer battery life under normal use. Another strange thing, is the notebook booted faster with the HDD. Power guzzler might be a stretch, but they certainly don’t SAVE any significant amount of power over a standard, much larger and very much cheaper-HDD. I know what my next notebook will have…an Atom processor and a roomy HDD. If you want to save power- run with an Atom proc. :d
This message was edited at: 04-07-2008 14:38

@Anthony…strange reaction…
I did not saying this regarding knower’s mention of Tom’s hardwares findings. If people had saw the language, insults and tone of what knower originally wrote, which has now thankfully been completely edited out by the mods, from both his original post and my quoted response, you will see why I had said this as my response to it.

i’m buying some anyway. i enjoy playing with new technology especially when the price is in a regular persons range.