Solid Burn for known media types? (BenQ DW2000)

[qanda]This thread is about the BenQ DW2000. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi all,

I purchased a BenQ DW2000 to replace my old LiteOn 18x (of similar design). I’m glad I’m back to using QSuite, but this brings up an important question I have.

By default, Solid Burn is disabled for known media types… I guess my main question is whether the quality of my writes will be better with it or without it if it is a known disc type (I do not really care about the extra 20 seconds or so… just purely from a disc quality perspective).

So then, here are my questions:

1. Will the quality be better with, or without solid burn for known media types (like MCC004).

2. How does solid burn work if the media type is known, does it replace the factory writing strategy with something the drive figures out based on just the first and last parts of the disc, or does it alter the original (factory configured) writing strategy? In other words, does the drive start from scratch? Because I would argue that perhaps it is better to stick to the factory settings then.

3. If I disable using solid burn for known media at this point in time, now that I’ve already been using it, do I have to clear my learnt disc settings in order for it to use the factory settings, or will it ignore the learnt types and just use the original factory settings?

Thanks,
Raz.

Another question I have is, I’ve noticed that MCC004 has been learnt 3 times already?! Isn’t it supposed to learn each media once? I thought this was just a firmware glitch with my previous writer but I notice that this one is doing it as well.

Thanks again everyone,
Raz.

here is my understanding

1)this is something you will just have to check for yourself. your drive is capable of performing cd-dvd speed quality test showing jitter, PIE and PIF errors. burn a few disc with SB disabled and a few enabled. doing a quality test on each.

2)SB enabled the drive with perform power calibration before write and modify the default write strategy.

3)you must clear learnt disc to use default write strategy

i have a Lite-On 20A1P which can crossflash to Lite-On 20A4P and BenQ DW2000. in my experience i preferred 20A4P 9P59 EOHT [FB FBL EOS EOHT 6 *DUAL] firmware available here
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/liteon-dh20a4p-h-fast-burn-enhanced-overspeed-enhanced-oht-firmware-231875/

with smart burn settings

[ul]
[li]smart burn enabled
[/li][li]force hypertuning disabled
[/li][li]overspeed disabled
[/li][li]online hypertuning enabled
[/li][/ul]

[QUOTE=raziel2001au;2211529]I purchased a BenQ DW2000 to replace my old LiteOn 18x (of similar design). I’m glad I’m back to using QSuite…[/QUOTE]

Remember, the BenQ DW2000 is a Lite-On drive, so what you are actually using are Lite-On functions that have been renamed. QSuite isn’t going to work exactly the same way it does with a real BenQ (Nexperia chipset) drive:

SolidBurn On For Known Media (BenQ) = Force Hyper Tuning (Lite-On)

WOPC (BenQ) = Online Hyper Tuning (Lite-On)

In general, turning SolidBurn (Force Hyper Tuning) on for media that already has a built-in firmware strategy is pointless. It only helps when a particular spindle or batch of media tends towards being sub-par, and then it can help improve burns in some cases significantly. Otherwise, your burns will generally be better with it off, especially if you’re using good media.

The write strategies in the firmware can’t be altered by SolidBurn. Instead, it creates a new strategy that temporarily takes precedence over the built-in strategies, until such time as you turn it off, and get rid of the learned strategies by clearing them out.

Once again, the BenQ DW2000 is a rebadged Lite-On DH-20A1P, and as such, it learns the way a Lite-On learns, not the way a real BenQ learns. So, the fact that it creates a new strategy each time is normal, as that is how Lite-On’s learning function works. With a real BenQ, it works by creating one strategy, and then adjusting and modifying that after each burn, so there is only one entry in the table.

Thanks, these posts were quite helpful.

• Raz