SOHW-832S Reliable DVD's in +R only?

In looking up topics on the SOHW-832S I read that the drive writes reliably only in +R mode. I’ve been having problem writing a reliable read DVD while using a Liteon LVD 2002 & now Phillips DVP 642 that both play Divx/ MPeg4. Now using CodeKings Firmware with mixed results.

Welcome to the forum. I think you are asking why your discs burned on your 832 are not playing on your players.

I have given up trying to burn with the 832 as it only turns out really good burns with a few media, however it turns out playable burns with a lot of media. You need to post your media code as \well as your firmware version and also, try scanning your discs with CDSpeed or Kprobe (at 4X) and you might find the answer to your question. I would guess the media is the problem. Either poor quality or media code too new for your firmware.

My firmware is CG5J from the Code Guys. I’m not sure what I’m looking at with CD Speed. Can you explain what I’m looking for in the chart. Is there a chart for the type of Media that work well with my 832s. Do these charts only show media you can purchase from media e-stores? How about the Retail stuff you can buy local?

If you stick with Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim or Japanese made Maxell media, you won’t have any problems at all and it will make no difference whether you use + or - media.

The 832S burns quality -R media just fine even if it performs poorly with cheap low grade -R media.

Try Rima.com, supermediastore.com, and meritline.com.

Any of these will have good prices on the media above. Also I have had excellent results with TY from allmediaoutlet.com sold as Burnmaster +R 8X.

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/allmedia/genuine-taiyo-yuden-made-burnmaster-dvdr-dvdr-8x-47gb-silver-shiny-blank-dvd-media-in-50-100-300-600-1200-pack-group-1891.htm

@ Hecdtec
Welcome :slight_smile:
You read right that Liteons generally prefer good quality +R media. But some burners can burn some -R media with consistently good results. It depends upon the burner. But generally, you will get better results with +R media.

You can check your burn results with Kprobe 2.5.1 BLER scans(scanned at 4x scan speed the forum standard for comparison). You can read Interpreting PI/PO error scans to find out what these graphs mean. PI/PO is now referred to as PI/PIF. Roughly, PImax<280; PIFmax<4. Kprobe is a scanning program similar to CD-DVDSpeed, but Kprobe only works with Liteons :cool: . These graphs and PI/PIF values are also what you are seeing in the CD-DVDSpeed scans. Attaching disc quality scans to your post of the offending discs will help us help you.

You can go here to cross-reference the MID to the name brand and name brand to MID, but you will see that it isn’t so easy. One name brand can come with several different MIDs. Check out the CDFreaks bargain basement forum for retail deals on media. :cool: