SOHW - 812S - Worth the wait?

vbimport

I already have Liteon 165DVDROM and 40125sCDR/CDRW and very pleased with them to date.

Im presently trying to decide which DVD Writer to get.
I would love to buy another Liteon product but it would seem the DVD side of things on the present writers is not too great - not upto old Liteon reputation that i have got used to.

Now i was wondering if the newly announced SOHW - 812S will do anything better on the DVD writiing side other than 8X -r.

Anyone have any inside news/rumours on its improvements ??

• And yes im aware that the present LITEON DVDWriters are good at DVD writing as the media you put in them… but plenty competition for them in that department.

Thanks

ARchV

I don’t think anyone answer that question with anything but speculation until they get their hands on the drive for a review.

When is it due?

I am looking and the Pioneer 107, but am concerned with its problems with Ritek G04’s

Also look at the NEC2500, but I cant find them in Australia!

I might see hot the 812 goes beofre buying though, but if the DVD burner history of Liteon is anything to go by, it WONT be worth the wait…

What are you talking about? The 411S and 811S are both great burners.

The 812S is due out in US stores at the end of March.

Originally posted by Serpeant
Also look at the NEC2500, but I cant find them in Australia!

NEC 2500A 8x DVD Writer 8x-R,8+R/-+RW Kit $195 @ M.S.Y. Technology

Locations @

Malvern Branch (Melway Ref. 68 G1)
121 Waverley Road East Malvern VIC 3145
TEL: (03) 95724411, 95725186

Pascoe Vale Branch (Melway Ref. 16 K9)
439 Gaffney Street Pascoe Vale VIC 3044
TEL : (03) 93794677, (03) 93794678

Auburn Branch (UBD Ref. 211 P14)
Bell Tower Complex 14/191 Parramatta Road N.S.W. 2144
TEL: (02) 96484116, (02) 96484117

I ordered my NEC ND-2500A from www.diycomputers.com.au, $235.

It’s amazing what you can find if you look up “NEC 2500A” at www.google.com.au :slight_smile:

Any insight on wether this model will likely be a better recorder than the last attempts we have had from LiteOn ???

Your thoughts and guess on the matter would be valued as im holding out for this drive otherwise its probably the pioneer ao7 for pioneers past record.

Opinions from any others would also be appreciacted

Thanks,

ArchV.

The 812s is already available in Germany for 106 €. I saw these first KProbe scans (you need to be registered at speedlabs to see it):

http://speedlabs.org/forum/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=226

I was a bit disappointed.

Why?

good,crap or very crap?

The 812S is already available:

Ordered mine from Newegg and according to FedEx tracking - it is on my doorstep waiting for me to get home from work.
Retail package $130

Zipzoomfly also has them.

Originally posted by Ssseth
[B]What are you talking about? The 411S and 811S are both great burners.

The 812S is due out in US stores at the end of March. [/B]

The 811 is a good writer in the sense it has some advantages over other writers that make it attractive despite some of its problems. Like EXCELLENT CD-Writing, 40x reading speed/40xwriting speed, bitsetting support, faster firmware updates, etc… It is a bit more pickier with media than other drives, however its writing quality could well be improved compared with other burner using the same media.

For people deciding on whether to buy the 812, as we all know LIteON by now is their lack of testing and quickly releasing a product to the market without proper QC… So my advice would be to wait a while, check reviews, and give it enough time afte the release, there will likely be a few firmware revisions. This goes not only for LIteON but any NEW product that comes out, it’s always safer to wait.

The 812 will be based on Sony technology and will support 8x -R, as far as I know this is the only new feature. Will it offer better writing quality across the same media brands tested ? Maybe…but I wouldn’t expect any big improvements.

I think it would be wiser to stay with your 811 and write 8x DVD+R’s instead, because LiteON will release their 16x DVD Writers soon, followed by Phillips. So you might want to save your $ for the 16x writers.

Ask yourself the question, do you really NEED 8x DVD -R, considering, DVD-R cannot change its booktype, you are better off using +R with the ability to booktype and make it more compatible across players.

Just my .02

Yes, the 2 cents that you’ve expounded many a times.

Is the 812 really based off of Sony technology? I know that LiteOn and Sony struck a partnership. Perhaps that’s how Sony’s name slipped in?

Originally posted by weasel1
[B]The 812S is already available:

Ordered mine from Newegg and according to FedEx tracking - it is on my doorstep waiting for me to get home from work.
Retail package $130

Zipzoomfly also has them. [/B]

OMG, you’re right! NE is carrying them!

Looks like 812S questions are going to be popping up soon :bigsmile:

Originally posted by code65536
[B]Yes, the 2 cents that you’ve expounded many a times.

Is the 812 really based off of Sony technology? I know that LiteOn and Sony struck a partnership. Perhaps that’s how Sony’s name slipped in? [/B]

HEX analysis shows SONY CORP. And given the SO at the beginning of the drive name as oposed to LD, I think that would be pretty much convincing don’t you think?

hmm still curious to find out what “Sony Technology” is or is not used in this drive.
The Sony name in the firmware proves nothing…
It may not even have any Sony components.
It all looks like speculation at the current moment.
I think I read somewhere that someone opened up an 812 and found a part inside labeled as ‘Sony’
Anyone have any specific hardware component information on “Sony Technology” in the 812?

Well it could very well be that SONY will have their drives made by LiteON, and whilst the firmware will carry SONY CORP, the drives will use LITEON components… You may have a good point there… :slight_smile:

However given SONY’s name is used, I would think that revised components would be used!

OR… it could very well be a modified 811. <big grin>

it seems my sony u18a is infact a 812s, has mentions of both drives in the firmware, and was made RPC1 with the liteon RPC flasher thingy

An interesting note would be that the JVC-LiteOn venture resulted in a change in the code (JLMS instead of LTD), but as far as I know, it was still all LiteOn stuff (is the JLMS-166S just a rename of the LTD-166S?)

If you really want/need one NOW, there is nothing worth to wait. Buy whatever that is in the market. New technology will come along and make you wait again and again. By March, 16x burner will be 3-4 months away. The wait will never end.

Here is a good news, as somebody mentioned:

You don’t have to wait!!

Actually, i always buy high-tech stuffs from a place with good return policy. One thing about review is that even if it praised the product, it does not mean that the product is right for you, and vice versa. Following web review like a blind man is becoming phenomenon i really hate seeing the most these days.

It is your money, if it works for you and you are happy about it, why bother that reviews are not good. Reviews might say drivability of Honda maybe better than Toyota, better rides and so on. But if you are not happy with Honda when you test drive, why should you buy one! Of course, i’m not saying that not to trust reviews, but take those with grain of salt. Your satisfaction is more important.

LiteOn is in business on making CD DVD drive for long time, they should know a thing or two on making good quality product. True, 401/411/811 (all same hardware) may came out a bit in a rush, because they were far behind other manufactures like Pioneer/Sony at that time. But 812s should be as good, if not better than 811s by judging history of their CD burners history and different generations.)

If you already have a 8x burner, then there is no point for gettign 812s. At least for me i won’t care about writing 8x DVD-R, as I can write +R at 8x and happy about it. Btw, DVD-R does not need changing booktype. Many older DVD players are predate +R, that’s why makers of burner may put this feature to help compatibility. There is no significant proof that +R with ROM booktype is more compatible than -R.