SOHW-812S: Why SOHW?

Anyone know why LiteOn does use SOHW instead of LDW for the 812S drive ?

Is there a special reason for this (does it indicate a special drive with new but for now hidden features) ?

It i because of the “strategic partnership” between Liteon and Sony.

My guess is that SOHW stands for Sony Optical Hardware. The W at the end is either from “hardware” or else is just used for whatever reason Liteon chose LDW for their DVD Burner names. SOHC should be for Sony Optical Hardware - Combo, SOHR should be for Sony Optical Hardware Recorder and SOHD should be for Sony Optical Hardware - DVD-ROM.

My guess is that W stands for Writer…

Its probably to distiguish R=Recorder for only CD-R(W) and W=Writer for both DVD+/-R(W) and CD-R(W)…

So is SOHW better than LDW?

the same hardware like the dru530?

Originally posted by konsolen
the same hardware like the dru530?

You have asked this question in many forums and you’ve always gotten the same response. No.

dhc014… Your guesses were right :] SOHD - 167T has been annouced (acc to cdrinfo.com) :slight_smile:

wonder if it’s the same drive as xj-hd166S

They weren’t really guesses, we still haven’t gotten confirmation that SOHW is for Sony Optical Hardware :stuck_out_tongue: … they’ve been on liteonit.com for a while and were at the time that I posted that.

LDW-411S, followed up by LDW-451S
LDW-811S followed up by LDW-851S

SOHW-812S is back in the 81x range again.

Is 812 same hardware as 811 ?

I’m about to buy my second DVD writer (have 411S allready).

Is it wiser to go for 811S instead of 851S with regards to upgradability (moddability) ?

they’re both no-brainers to mod - go for whichever is cheaper or readily obtainable.

Umm, there will be no mods for the 811S or 851S.

And, the H in SOH* stands for Half-height, the form factor of the device, not for hardware :slight_smile:

dhc014 you are my hero :smiley:

Originally posted by Ssseth
dhc014 you are my hero :smiley:

I’m flattered :iagree: <- This smily is great!

Is the SOHW-812S available?

If it is, has anyone tried it?

Regards,
Mac

Originally posted by Macbeth
[B]Is the SOHW-812S available?

If it is, has anyone tried it?

Regards,
Mac [/B]

As already stated many times recently. Release date in the US should be sometime in March.

Anyone have an idea on the projected $ on it?

I’d say the same price as the 811S when it first came out.

SOHW-812S is now available in Japan.