SOHW-812S Read problems

I’m not sure if this is the right forum but here it goes.

I’m having problems playing back commercial DVDs with this burner. Some of my older (and smaller titles that are less than 4.2 GB) have no problems playing, but newer titles (Gladiator / Matrix Revolutions) have problems. I am using PowerDVD 5.0 and sometimes the movies will start and sometimes they won’t. They will almost always have problems when they reach a layer change. By problems I mean freezing or jittery performance.

My trouble shooting has been difficult because the problem seems very erratic. I’ve changed IDE drivers, played with various DMA settings, swapped cables and uninstalled and reinstalled DVD software. I also updated the firmware to US0N.

How robust are DVD drives? Could it be a problem with changing the focus or wavelength (or whatever) to access a different layer on the DVD? Would a firmware upgrade to the Liteon Dual layer burner help out with poor read perfomance?

I’ve had this burner for a month now but haven’t had much time to do any burning with it. I’ve made a few data backups on DVD and everything worked fine. Data CD’s seem to read fine as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A7N8X deluxe mobo
AMD 2500+ Barton
WD 80 GB harddrive
ATI 9500 pro
2 x 256 mb Corsair XMS DDR 3300
350 watt enermax