SOHW 812S can't read the DVD+RW disk after burn

Hi code65536, C0deKing and all,

Just bought the drive. Burned a data disk on an +RW disk using Sonic RecordNow wizard. After the burn, the drive kept spinning and could not read the disk. In Windows Explorer, the drive is shown as a DVD-R drive and can’t be accessed.

Put the disk in another Hitachi DVD-ROM drive, the files are all there and can be accessed without problems.

What I did wrong ? I didn’t format the disk before hand and the Sonic software didn’t ask me to do so neither, it just went on writing the files.
How can I re-use my +RW disk ?

Appreciate your help. Thanks

Hi Dvluong

What Brand Of DVD+RW Is It ?

I Have Been Using TDK DVD+RW (MCC A01) (Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.)
With The SOHW-812S US0N Bitsetting Auto Set DVD-ROM.

I Had Problems With Datastream DVD+RW (INFODISC A01) Even With My NEC 2500a Doesn’t Like Them As Well.

So It Could B Your Media.

Thanks for your reply.

What I don’t understand is the drive recognized the media as DVD+RW, after a successful burn, it can’t read the disk again. It might have changed the media’s settings to become DVD-R and the disk can be read by another DVD-ROM drive. Other types of media is OK.

Any further advice.

My config:
P4 2.8G, Win XP
Sonic MyDVD+RecordNow DX, Power Director, Alcohol 120%: Any conflicts here ?

KProbe of another blank media of the same brand:
Disc Type DVD+RW
Book Type DVD+RW
Manufacturer Nan Ya Plastics Corporation
Media ID NANYADRW
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Format Capacity 4.38 GB
Formatted Yes
Capacity 4.38 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2295104
Number of Layers 1
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 3.2x
Maximum Write Speed 4.0x
Current Write Speed 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 4.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 2.4x CLV

The drive Info:
VID LITE-ON
PID DVDRW SOHW-812S
F/W Revision US0J
Date Code 2004/04/14 11:17
FlashROM Manufacturer ID C2
FlashROM Device ID 37
FlashROM Type MXIC(MX29LV008B)(+3.3V)
Region Unset
Vendor Resets Available 4
User Resets Available 5
RPC Scheme RPC II
Burst Rate 27.19 MB/S

DVDinfoPro shows different info ??? :confused:

Which one is correct ?

KProbe’s info should be more accurate, as it was written by the author of the official LiteOn bitsetting tool. BTW, I don’t know if “current booktype” in KProbe means if the disc is currently at that booktype or if the drive is set such that it will change the disc to that booktype upon the next burn. As I am out of town and away from my usual system, I can’t verify this for you. But I can say that if you want to see what the current booktype of the disc is (not of the drive), then “Disc Info” under KProbe2 will give you the most accurate information.