Sohw 1693s

vbimport

This is bad right???
I been having some issues with it lately making coasters…

General Information
 Drive: LITE-ON DVD SOHD-167T   
 Firmware: 9S19
 Disc: DVD-ROM (CMC MAG M01)
 Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
 Maximum: 1395
 Average: 691.80
 Total: 11060337
PI failures
 Maximum: 143
 Average: 25.31
 Total: 963669
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
 Elapsed time: 9:17
 Number of samples: 117712
 Average scanning interval: 1.21 ECC
 Glitches removed: 20

CMC MAG media are bad. Try to use better media like verbatim MCC discs to see if the burner is still good :slight_smile:

That’s bad. Have you tried other blank discs? I stick with Verbatim (MCC or MKM) or Taiyo Yuden whenever I can. But at this point I’d try anything but CMC MAG.

Edit: Geno beat me to it.

CMC MAG doesn’t have to be bad in general. CMC MAG E01, for example, can perform very well.
But CMC MAG M01 does have compatibility and consistency issues. Try some Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. :slight_smile:

Dang it, I just got a 30 pack of these things… :a

There 16x Maxell’s, I had some 8x Imation’s last time and they were crappy too…

Oh well, I will try to find some of them Verbatim’s…

Why don’t you scan in the SOHW-1693S, [B]Slagathor[/B]? Is your burner’s firmware up-to-date?

If you haven’t ever upgraded the firmware in your Litey, that might be a good idea also.

Edit: Darn it, Cressida beat me to that one also. Serves me right for answering the easy questions :bigsmile:

@steve b: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

@kg_evilboy: oops, you’re right, I did a too wide generalization :doh:

The firmware is what was in it when I got it.
I will scan in there and see what happines…

Here it’s scanned with the burner, maybe the reader is a POS…heh
If theres a firmware I should be using with it for better quality, perhaps someone can point me towards it…

Thanks for your time…

If they are 16x I’m guessing your current firmware might not have the write strategy for these. If that is so, you would need a firmware update.

There is a way to find out what write strategies are in your firmware. There should be some instructions around somewhare. I think you need to use a program that will extract the firmware and make a copy on your hard drive. Then there is another program that will display the MIDs that it has write strategies for.

Also you could try burning them at 12x or 8x.

KS0A firmware is fairly recent, I believe. Probably not the problem.

As luck would have it, I have the KS0A media support list produced by Omnipatcher. It does support CMC MAG -M01-00 at 6, 8, 12 and 16x

I’ll slow it down next time.

See if that helps. Wife picked up a few movies, I like to make backups for use, so the originals dont get fubard…

EDIT:
Theres a KS0B at lite-on’s site, maybe I should throw that in while I am at it…

The issue is almost certainly a low quality media. Try with a verbatim or a Taiyo yuden :slight_smile:

Can’t hurt to update to KS0B :slight_smile: And the reader isn’t bad because of that scan result, it’s just that readers are less conform for this and most scans you’ll see here are done with burners. The forum standard scan speed for your 1693S is 4X in stead of 8X (in which case the result may be slightly better still). Now that you have these discs, burn them conservatively @4X-6X-8X speed (not sure what’s offered in firmware) and they may be OK for everyday use. :slight_smile:

Sorry @[B]steve_b[/B] :wink:

Well, we just watched the movie, and all the menus and options worked fine, I guess I got paranoid for nothing…heh

Thanks again for your time…

Glad to hear it’s working.

I’ll just add one more thing. Media tends to degrade over time. How fast it degrades depends on the quality of the media and storage conditions, etc.

By starting out with a bad burn, you increase the probability of one day finding the disc to be unreadable. Unless your 1693 is wearing out, it should be capable of giving you better burns in the future.