SOHW 1693S 6x lowest burn speed

Hello, I joined this forum hoping you guys can help me.
As the title states, my drive (Lite-On SOHW-1693S) will only burn dvds at speeds 6x, 8x, 12x, and 16x. For my purposes, I need to burn it at 1x, 4x at most…

I have updated the firmware from liteon official site, version DR 16KSOB
and my media (TDK) says that it burns at 1-16x.

Is my burner just not configured to burn at low speeds? Does the new firmware not allow slow burning?
I am just royally screwed and am better off just buy another burner?

I tried to search the forum but only found a thread with a guy loosing his marbles… any help would be appreciated.

PS: I read some stuff about the OmniPatcher, but talk about the possibility of my DRIVE becoming a coaster gave me cold feet. I would like some input on the drive before I resort to using custom firmware…

PS2: as for slower is not always better, i have found that for my purposes, when i burn at 16x or 8x, vs when i burn at 6x, the result is that there was less stuttering with the 6x, so… as far as scans go, i believe the results more then the paper, so if you can please just tell me if i can burn at 1x-4x, thank you. Wisecrack comments about me being noob, newb, just plain stupid not appreciated.

slower burns are not always nescesalry better burns, if the media was designed for high speeds lower speeds might actually not be good. normally about half to 3/4 of the max media speed is a good speed to choose. also having good media in the 1st place is a big step towards a good burn.

SOHW-1693S just don’t know how to burn 8x/16x discs at low speed (actually I don’t sure that that drive can burn 2x -R or 2,4x +R with good quality at all). There’s no official firmware that can teach SOHW-1693S how to do that.

I am just royally screwed and am better off just buy another burner?

Yes, it’s easier to buy another drive. But not every modern drive can burn 8x/16x discs at low speed, moreover not every drive of those that can do that, do that good. You can try Lite-On SHM-165P6S with HyperTuning turned on (it allows speeds from 2,4x for +R and 2x for -R). I’ve tried to burn some 16x discs at 2x - quality was not bad.

PS: I read some stuff about the OmniPatcher, but talk about the possibility of my DRIVE becoming a coaster gave me cold feet.

That wouldn’t help without a lot of test burns and a lot of wasted blanks and time. And without any guarantee, of course.

Hi,your device with me is same.
i can burn in 1x,2x,2.4x & 4x
Firmwares >> KSOB
u r right,i’m a movie collector,my device just for burn movie.
i tested using 12x, 6x & 4x speed to burn before it turn out 4x is better than 2 infront.
becoz i can see the diffrence on pixelate appear when i playback them at my stand alone player.( although i still having pixlate problem using 4x )

i hav’nt try burn below 4x speed becoz i think 4x is good enough for it,i suspect the media quality.

p/s : 10pcs i use ,2 of it having pixelate 8 okey

(i use non-branded one 10pcs/Rm18.i’m fr malaysia)

i hav to check it 1st using VSO inspector before burn it,last time i never do it.

and i use imgburn to burn my movie.maybe you can try it too.

i’m new to this stuff,so my suggestion just for your ref.

good luck.