It's best if I answer each question in the same order as you asked, so here goes:
- Unable to play the DVD's as movies, media not recognised - player WinDVD V4.
- Nero reads the DVD's as CDROM not DVD.
- Unit bought (packaged) as as genuine 1653 drive.
- Firmware downloaded and flashed from the offficial Liteon site.
- Drive is actually installed as "the" secondary master, with no slave.
- The IDE cable is a high density "slim" cable - not ribbon type.
In addition to the above, I've booted the machine into DOS and tried to read the DVD's - same results. It's very strange that the drive doesn't recognise ONLY the three DVD's (and yet) it recognises other DVD's (I have) without any problems at all.
One thing I did not mention in my originating thread (so as not to complicate things ), was that I do have a DVD ROM (LITEON LTD 163 - connected via an AWE32 sound card) installed on my machine also, which (believe it or not) reads the three DVD's without any problems whatsoever. This would lead one to the assumption, that it's not my system that's at fault?
So I reckon it's got to be the 1653 drive, or (more likely) the firmware that's causing the problems?
Look forward to your response