Sohw-1633s scan accuracy

vbimport

I am looking at picking up one of these drives used for scanning (I don’t need it to burn) and was wondering if it is relatively accurate for scanning, or if I would be better of getting a newer 20a1s, or an s203b? According to this review, the 1633s was not very acurate, but as they say, this may be for the particular drive: http://cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10978&PageId=22 Is the scanning acuracy increased by firmware upgrades?

I would suggest getting the newer drive, whichever you decide. The LO can also do jitter scan whereas the Samsung can’t. Firmware changes don’t affect scanning accuracy.

I’d stay away from such an old drive and buy a newer LiteOn instead. The newer LiteOns support Jitter scanning and the 1633S does not.

Firmware updates sometimes change reading and thus scanning behaviour. I have seen it happen on two different LiteOn drive models, both of which were poor readers with initial firmware and got better with a firmware upgrade - this also affected scanning and the reported PIE/PIF decreased after the firmware upgrade.

IMO it’s irrelevant to use the term “accuracy” for quality scanning - the drive reports what it experiences, so the PIE/PIF/Jitter values are essentially subjective. There are some drives that misreport what they experience, however, and such drives can be considered inaccurate, buggy, faulty or whatever you like to call it.

@[B]rottenapple[/B]: Welcome to CDFreaks! :slight_smile:

[quote=DrageMester;2063822]
Firmware updates sometimes change reading and thus scanning behaviour. I have seen it happen on two different LiteOn drive models, both of which were poor readers with initial firmware and got better with a firmware upgrade - this also affected scanning and the reported PIE/PIF decreased after the firmware upgrade.[/quote]

Come to think of it, you’re right…I probably didn’t pay too much attention.

Thanks for the replys, I believe I will be getting a 20A4P, and if I can get this 1633 for ~10 might get it as well just for comparison. And thanks DrageMaster, I’ve been a lurker here for a while and decided to register, this is an excellent forum!