I have a grand adventure ahead that I have been going through for the past 3 months now. This original post is more of a test to see if I can get some KProbe results to post, and I welcome any feedback from the extremely talented folks whose wisdom I have read about these last 24 hours as I have been sleepless trying to figure out once and for all what the heck has been going on with my drive(s). The story will star:
Drive #1 purchased around Nov 10th 2004, was RMA'd to Newegg for faulty tray.
It produced only 3 coasters out of about 20 disks burned. I blamed this on the quality of the media that I purchased before researching media qualities. I'm not sure what the firmware was that it came with, but I did download the F/W update that came out on Lite-on's site (for the short time in Dec.) for the speed increase. (I'm guessing it was the BS41?) The important thing is that all DVD players in my house (2 GE Model DGE100NA and a Norcent DP300 played the disks burnt by this drive with no problems at all. But the tray developed a problem and I sent it to newegg for exchange thinking all would be well after that...
Drive #2 received just after New years, came with BSOR installed, which I upgraded immediately to BSOS thinking that it would help with media compatability. RMA'd because suddenly NONE of the DVD's I burnt with it worked on the GE DVD players, (however they did work with the Norcent, which still boggles me since it is the $30 walmart special.)
Drive #3 I received just a few days ago, it has BSOR, and I have not done any F/W changes yet. I have tried to reburn some of the same files on my computer that I tried to burn with drive #2 to play in the GE players but I have not been successful at all.
During this time, I have used Nero OEM Suite 6 (updated to version available at the time) that was supplied with the drives for burning VOB files. The VOB files were created by DVD Shrink 3.2 from original DVD's. I also used WinAVI on some AVI's to create VOB files for burning.
The same media has been used for all burns from the beginning. It was a spindle of 100 AVB 4xDVD+R from Newegg. I know that this was not the best choice of media, but I was getting good burns out of it in the beginning from drive #1, so I can't lay the blame on it. The maufacturers code only came up as:
Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R:AML-001-000]
Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R] - [DVD+R]
Manufacturer Name : [Manufacturer Not Found In Database]
Manufacturer ID : [AML]
Media Type ID : 
Product Revision : [Not Specified]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,295,104 Sectors = 4,482.6MB = 4.38GB (4.70GB)]
Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x , 4x]
Some of you will notice this is a +R and I have not changed the booktype to ROM. This is a disk I burned using the 2nd Drive, and I didn't know about the booktype setting at the time. I have tried the same files using the 3rd Drive, with the booktype set to DVD-ROM using Booktype 135 and it did not make a difference with the GE players. The last part of this will be a Kprobe report of the same disk from Drive #2. Keep in mind it was using BSOS. This disk is affectionately called "AvP DVD Shrink" as it was a Alien Vs. Predator Rip from the original DVD. I will be spending the next couple days running tests on other Drive #2 Disks, Drive #3 Disks (DVD-ROM on and off...) and hopefully I can dig up a couple of Drive #1 disks to test, to make sure that there isn't a major difference between the disks themselves or how they were burned. After reading all the forums, I figure I'll either end up changing F/W to BS41 (or whatever is recommended) or I'll have to RMA through Newegg again. But if it comes to that, I'll have to simply ask for a refund or different make/model.
The shipping charges have already exceeded 1/4 of the price of the drive. I know this post has gone on a bit long, but you all should have the info needed on it. If not, I'll be checking in frequently for updates and suggestions that you may have. For now, I really gotta sleep.... tough to type with head bouncing off keyboard.